Walking around the ships...

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jonny9120

Walking around the ships...

Post by Jonny9120 » Sun, 13. May 12, 15:25

Ive read that you can walk around your ship and stations... but does this mean that you can also board enemy ship? if so will there be a combat system? If not the idea of controlling your character seems redundant, all it will do is ac like a crappy present, fun at first but the novelty will wear off.

joelR
x3tc

Re: Walking around the ships...

Post by joelR » Sun, 13. May 12, 15:32

Jonny9120 wrote:Ive read that you can walk around your ship and stations... but does this mean that you can also board enemy ship? if so will there be a combat system? If not the idea of controlling your character seems redundant, all it will do is ac like a crappy present, fun at first but the novelty will wear off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 13. May 12, 15:39

If not the idea of controlling your character seems redundant, all it will do is ac like a crappy present, fun at first but the novelty will wear off.
So, the only fun thing you can imagine to do when controlling a character is fighting?
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Ulfarus
x2

Post by Ulfarus » Sun, 13. May 12, 16:00

If their was real boarding with you taking part then I would be all for characters wandering around ships it would be great, as long as when you are piloting you don't have to wander around to access essential functions.

Unfortunately we aren't getting that, what we are getting in mass effect style walk arounds which are just a waste of time and tedious after a while.

Jonny9120

Post by Jonny9120 » Sun, 13. May 12, 16:08

Making assumptions? just pointing out if they leave you character with limited options they my ruin a epic game. obviously Combat isn't the only key thing to do with a character, but does offer the most fun (in my opinion) and would open up a whole list of possibilities in the game

Decimatarius
x4

Post by Decimatarius » Sun, 13. May 12, 16:37

Tho i really like this idea i think that the key problem with it would be the time spent in the boarding which leaves both ships vulnerable. And as the skunk is the only ship the player can fly if ur fighting inside a ship and the skunk is destroyed....game over, if ur killed in the ship....game over, if the ship ur boarding is destroyed.....game over. Making the process quick would be unrealistic, making it longer would be impractical.
However, if boarding were to require some kind of drone transport then ur pretty much free to have the skunk on auto pilot and maybe the player could control a combat droid or something along with the marines when boarding just like when controling the drones in space.
It would be a nice touch but i dont think it will make it into the final game without a big delay to the game.

Noimageavaiable
x3ap

Post by Noimageavaiable » Sun, 13. May 12, 17:13

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
If not the idea of controlling your character seems redundant, all it will do is ac like a crappy present, fun at first but the novelty will wear off.
So, the only fun thing you can imagine to do when controlling a character is fighting?
What else is there? The hole Walking around thing seems like a huge waste of resources to me.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sun, 13. May 12, 17:32

I don't think there is "walking with a character" as defined in a FPS in the game, it is more of a first person camera view with some movement, there will be locations where you can move your camera around within certain limits. Wouldn't be surprise if the way to change between locations in your ship is by clicking in hatchways or doors. Then you can move your camera around and interact with the different members of the crew.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 13. May 12, 20:03

Yeah. my guess would be "You're in the cockpit" (can pan camera around), "You're in the cargo bay" (can pan camera around), with some dynamic sights, for example in the cockpit you can obviously see out of the front, although flying first person would probably be a different scene.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 13. May 12, 20:12

Ulfarus wrote: what we are getting in mass effect style walk arounds which are just a waste of time and tedious after a while.
No, we don't.
Bernd wrote:
Dietger wrote:How does the player move on his ship (first person view/third person view)? How many rooms will there be on the ship? Will we be able to leave it, e.g. in the ego perspective over a ramp (i.e. how does the entering of the plattforms work)?
To move you will select a task and move then quickly to the appropriate place. The player will notice everything radically in the first person view (especially in the virtual reality this will be obvious).
Yes you can leave your ship to come in contact with NPCs on plattforms.
Bernd wrote:
Greenpatriot wrote:Honestly I made a account last minute just to ask a Q. Will there be a real FPS style gameplay when u are tlking to crew and walking around inside cap ships? Because description of features in this forums makes it sounds as if it is so while some interveiws and articles make it sounds as if your still the same camera style as in TC. I hope you answer this, for I'm sure you would like to clear this up. If already asked I didnt care to read through every page.
You can walk around on station platforms and inside your playership by moving from one point to another. So YES you can move in real 3D and interact with people, but NO you are not freely moving as in a FPS (also you dont have a gun for that ;)
Source

Noimageavaiaböe wrote:What else is there?
Interaction with other characters that isn't limited to little communication screens in the top right corner of the screen.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Noimageavaiable
x3ap

Post by Noimageavaiable » Mon, 14. May 12, 06:41

X2-Illuminatus wrote:Interaction with other characters that isn't limited to little communication screens in the top right corner of the screen.
Again, why would I want that? X is a Space Sim, not an RPG, so the games focus should be on the hole flying through space thing, not talking to people, not to mention Egosoft doesn't really have a great track record of good character animation or writing.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Mon, 14. May 12, 07:10

Noimageavaiable wrote:
X2-Illuminatus wrote:Interaction with other characters that isn't limited to little communication screens in the top right corner of the screen.
Again, why would I want that? X is a Space Sim, not an RPG, so the games focus should be on the hole flying through space thing, not talking to people, not to mention Egosoft doesn't really have a great track record of good character animation or writing.
How can you possibly make all these assumptions without even playing the game? How can you possibly know if you will dislike something you haven't even played? And to be frank - who made you arbiter of game development?

Do you speak for me? Im not trying to be a prick but seriously...

Walking around doesnt make a game an RPG. And the focus is "flying through space" as you say. Its an X series game. If you look at the screenshots its of ships "flying through space".

Frankly I cant understand why you, or anyone else with the same attitude, would post in these threads. Just dont buy the game if it bothers you so much or at least have a real discussion about the game. Its not hard.

Cadius
x3tc

Post by Cadius » Mon, 14. May 12, 08:03

has no one here played silent hunter? I imagine the system will be something similar to SH5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HscHJooBflc

BobbyDylan
x3tc

Post by BobbyDylan » Mon, 14. May 12, 08:56

/\ SH is exactly how I imagined it.
Fan of Star Control 2?

Check out the Ur Quan Masters HD mod (bring the Ur Quan into the 21st centrury)

Check out Project 6014, the fan made HD sequal to the Ur Quan Masters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQBQYi88AAI

Makita
x4

Post by Makita » Mon, 14. May 12, 19:25

Cadius wrote:has no one here played silent hunter? I imagine the system will be something similar to SH5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HscHJooBflc

I've played all the Silent Hunter and 5 is garbage, i guess walking and interacting with npc in the ship was more important then gameplay.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 14. May 12, 19:47

joelR wrote:...
Frankly I cant understand why you, or anyone else with the same attitude, would post in these threads. Just dont buy the game if it bothers you so much or at least have a real discussion about the game. Its not hard.
Everyone is entitled to post their opinions in these forums whether they agree with you or not. It is a 'forum', after all. And who are you to decide what's a "real discussion"? Stop trying to moderate the forum and leave that to us moderators, ok? :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Tue, 15. May 12, 02:58

Nanook wrote:
joelR wrote:...
Everyone is entitled to post their opinions in these forums whether they agree with you or not. It is a 'forum', after all. And who are you to decide what's a "real discussion"? Stop trying to moderate the forum and leave that to us moderators, ok? :roll:
Easy Nanook. Im not trying to take your job. Dont worry.

Ever heard the expression "let the sleeping dogs lie"?

Sometimes we say things that we regret later.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Tue, 15. May 12, 03:05

EmperorJon wrote:Yeah. my guess would be "You're in the cockpit" (can pan camera around), "You're in the cargo bay" (can pan camera around), with some dynamic sights, for example in the cockpit you can obviously see out of the front, although flying first person would probably be a different scene.
I have to say the sense of confinement thats in the X series is something that has always personally bothered me. Im really looking forward to feeling that im inside a ship rather than outside of it. I think it will really help one to feel the scale of a ship.

Saber15
x4

Post by Saber15 » Tue, 15. May 12, 04:37

Noimageavaiable wrote:
The UI and the characters have always been one of the X-universe's greatest weaknesses, something that Egosoft is looking to improve in Rebirth.

Noimageavaiable
x3ap

Post by Noimageavaiable » Tue, 15. May 12, 16:08

joelR wrote:How can you possibly make all these assumptions without even playing the game? How can you possibly know if you will dislike something you haven't even played? And to be frank - who made you arbiter of game development?
What assumptions? That X is a Space Sim? That's not an assumption, but a simple fact, just like Egosofts lack of good writing and character animation can be seen in X² and X³.

As to how I can dislike a game I did not play, I can look at the facts that are known about the game, like that the focus is shifted towards RPG elements (ie the walking around, character interaction, one super-special awesome cool ship instead of many) then look at what the developer was capable of in the past (bad writing, awful character animations, etc.) as well as my own expectations and then make an educated guess weather the developer will be able to make a game that I will find satisfying or not. So far, evidence suggests they won't, as they're sacrificing things I like (multiple ships) for things I don't care about (walking, talking).

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”