What we know about X-Rebirth [Updated 09/09/11]

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

perkint
x3tc

What we know about X-Rebirth [Updated 09/09/11]

Post by perkint » Wed, 4. May 11, 20:42

OK, there's a world of speculation in the announcement thread. Let's see if we can gather the points we actually know here. And what has been near as damn it confirmed. And ones that have been pretty strongly hinted at.

I'll maintain the lists below as more come out.

Not interested in wild speculation! Just things that are fairly clear. Due to that, I'm looking for supporting quotes and details on the source. I'll start with a list and post links to the source quotes.

Links to the (current) main sources of info:

Annoucement thread
Second announcement thread
Deepsilver's X-Rebirth site
X-Rebirth on Facebook
Teaser Trailer (downloadable)
Interview with Bernd on Krawall Gaming Network's website, translated by Legionnaire (using a translator) Video interview from FedCon (translated by N.Y.X)
O:T thread with some pearls from Apoch!

X-Universe News 43

X-Universe News 44

Translation of a Russian interview with Bernd

English (google) translation of a German online article about X-Rebirth
Original German
There is a suggestion that SETA is dead!!

Video from Gamescon Courtesy of ShotglassSam (video), EuRoKa & mrscribbler (translation & subtitles)
Interview with Bernd by PC Games (translated by Google) page 1 & page 2 and tech details

Not sure if it's new, but there's a picture of the player ship on the Egosoft X:Rebirth page

Polish preview from GRY Online (courtesy of Skeeter)

Is this the Co-Pilot? The German forum announcement thread suggests it is. This was at the Gamescon event.

A site with all the screen shots, vids, etc, gathered together, courtesy of Commander SAMU

::This may take some time:: :doh:

Tim

[Edit] Mods - hope this thread is sufficiently different to justify being a separate topic and not get merged...

[Edit 2] Any help digging out links appreciated :D Especially any facts from the O:T thread in which Apoch has posted a few things...

[Edit 3] Added links to the main info sources

[Edit 4] Added quote from Bernd confirming it's still a sandbox...

[Edit 5] Added link to the new X-Universe News
[Edit 6] Added link to Bernd clarifying - no directly piloting capital ships
[Edit 7] Added details from deleted quotes from the KGN interview
[Edit 8] Added info about the ore refinery module from X-News 44
[Edit 9] Added a bit of info from the Russian interview with Bernd
[Edit 10] Added a link to a German interview (and google English translation) to an online article about Rebirth written as if they had talked to Bernd (but not actually quoting an interview)
[Edit 11] Added links to video & interview from Gamescon, a link to Ego's main X:Rebirth page (picture of the one playership), plus a link to a fan site from Commander SAMU where he gathers most/all of the released screen shots/vids.
[Edit 12] Put a load more info in from the Gamescon interview
[Edit 13] Put a link in to Polish preview - GRY Online preview (courtesy of Skeeter) and to the image possibly of the co-pilot
Last edited by perkint on Sat, 24. Sep 11, 12:42, edited 21 times in total.
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Wed, 4. May 11, 20:42

Known Modding
Last edited by perkint on Fri, 9. Sep 11, 20:58, edited 47 times in total.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Wed, 4. May 11, 20:43

Last edited by perkint on Wed, 24. Aug 11, 20:33, edited 10 times in total.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Wed, 4. May 11, 20:43

Speculations
Last edited by perkint on Fri, 9. Sep 11, 20:53, edited 6 times in total.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Wed, 4. May 11, 20:46

Known: It's a 1st person space simulation set in the future of X
Strong Hints: There's some sort of quick travel network
Speculations: The main player craft has some sortof cockpit thing
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Wed, 4. May 11, 21:04

Sub system targeting
? :o
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Wed, 4. May 11, 21:05

Gimme chance :p

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Wed, 4. May 11, 21:06

The main protagonists will be giant pink ninja pokemons

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Wed, 4. May 11, 21:21

Infekted wrote:The main protagonists will be giant pink ninja pokemons
Were you not reading the OP? This thread is for listing confirmed facts, not wild speculation.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Wed, 4. May 11, 21:23

Most of the info known up to yet is either from the official web sites or the announcement thread. Not got time at the moment to dig the specific links out to the other stuff, but I'll get round to it :)

A big thanks to Maxxler and Legionnaire for the info from Fed:Con and the translations...

Tim

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Wed, 4. May 11, 21:25

StarSword wrote:
Infekted wrote:The main protagonists will be giant pink ninja pokemons
Were you not reading the OP? This thread is for listing confirmed facts, not wild speculation.
I don't object to wild speculation (especially since I happen to agree that Pink Pokemons are almost certainly the new enemies referred to :p

But such things may not find their way into the lists :P

Tim

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Thu, 5. May 11, 01:17

Sorry - pub was calling :p

Will try and add more detail and some thumbnails of the relevant grabs from the vids, but may have to wait for the weekend...

Tim

Progress-M
x3tc

Post by Progress-M » Thu, 5. May 11, 01:30

perkint wrote:Sorry - pub was calling :p
I feel X:R should have legitimate alcohol industry - Space Brewery's for the win!

Rednoahl
x4

Post by Rednoahl » Thu, 5. May 11, 02:07

One of the impressions I have is that the player isn't going to be given much information at all, and that investigation (from direct spying to general exploration) and developing a strategy for pretty much everything is going to be key to success. The gist being you'll literally be "lost in space;" few things will be familiar just like the first X.
The play has become even complicated in many areas. I have just already indicated it: With the construction is that what you can build now, not at all comparably with him what was possible in earlier parts. This has become much more complicated.
<snip>What is there, no comparison is likewise too former. Not only in graphic regard, but in view of the functions of the ships. We distribute now, however, for instance, better, while we do not kill the player immediately with the whole range of the play.

Instead, we switch all that better steered bit by bit freely and introduce the player also about the story missions better in the universe and his possibilities.

I think it's also pretty safe bet that there are limitations placed upon the player until at least a proportion of the main plot is finished (I think this is to counter the "lost in space" bit, so you don't get too lost. It was also done to a certain extent on some of the starts in X3TC, and is standard practice in most sandbox games.)
Conjecture - I think as your knowledge of the game increases the game opens up more - start in a fairly safe training area/sector with limited tech wares, and as you progress through the plot more dangerous places with better kit become available.
In the beginning I can do that on a very low level and later on I can do this to a higher extent. And when I play through the before mentioned plot, so to say the story of the game, it is just an introduction, because we want to keep the sandbox-character of the game, a game where I set my own goals, where I can freely develop, nevertheless the plot is an important beginning and it shall be exciting and great and when it has at some point reached its top, when it has reached its goal, then it releases the player in an even greater universe with more opportunities to change the universe and it is up to the player what he will do next and what kind of goals he will set for himself. They can do the same, as we know it from the preceding games.
Last edited by Rednoahl on Sat, 7. May 11, 13:37, edited 2 times in total.

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Thu, 5. May 11, 04:01

You know, Rednoahl, that sounds sort of like a Freelancer sort of universe. In it you started in a relatively 'safe' area and not much for tech wares or weapons, relatively low options on making money and profits. So your thinking something like that? :?
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 5. May 11, 04:12

Joe McCracken wrote:You know, Rednoahl, that sounds sort of like a Freelancer sort of universe. In it you started in a relatively 'safe' area and not much for tech wares or weapons, relatively low options on making money and profits. So your thinking something like that? :?
I hope not.

Freelancer was a dud for me because of one mission and one decision on the interface (no joystick support) that I couldnt get past. So the limitations of the starting area actually prevented me playing the game very long. I binned it within a week.

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Thu, 5. May 11, 05:49

apricotslice wrote:Freelancer was a dud for me because of one mission and one decision on the interface (no joystick support) that I couldnt get past. So the limitations of the starting area actually prevented me playing the game very long. I binned it within a week.
:thumb_up: Same here.

mark_a_condren
x3tc

Post by mark_a_condren » Thu, 5. May 11, 09:53

@ perkint

I've got some free time so i have dug some links etc out for you.

=======================================
Single player only
Translated interview with Bernd - will dig links out
Krawall.de: A word: Multiplayer?
Bernd Lehan: No.

Krawall.de: No? Again?
Bernd Lehan: We have this thought always in the back of the head. We would do loving with pleasure a kind of MMO. But this is not up to now simply realizable.
Post link

Changes to content tools.

Modding still available?

Will all the tools be released?

Can you answer more of our modding tool questions?
Apoch wrote:The "unannounced" script examples from the presentation were very heavily modified prior to posting on the web to use familiar terms from the old X games. Aside from a few syntax and style issues, very little of that code has any resemblance to what's actually in the game project mentioned. The point was to make it clear what kinds of things are going on for people familiar with the existing games, not to indicate what's going into future work.

As for modding, we've been committed for a long time to providing opportunities for people to mod and extend our games, and remain so going forward, as Bernd reiterated recently (sorry, no link handy, but a little search-fu should turn it up easily enough). It's way too early to be commenting on the mod support we plan for future games, but I think it's fair to say that you can expect some pretty cool toys to play with.

Just keep in mind that our focus is first and foremost on building the "primary" game experience, and that for a handful of reasons we can't always release all of the toys for general mass consumption. But we'll see what can be handed out in the future Wink

For the curious, I might be able to answer some questions on the new content creation tools we're using, although I can't promise much in the way of details.

How many modding tools and what type?

Will there be better debugging tools?

How powerful are the modding tools?
Apoch wrote:As I've said before we're using three XML-based tools for content creation: one for MD-style mission/storyline control, one for cutscenes, and a new one for AI control which is very roughly analogous to the script editor in X2/X3. Can't say too much about the third yet but its existence is now officially revealed (post-GDC) so... speculate away Wink

We are internally using a fairly rich set of debugging functionality and such to make things easier, but it remains to be seen how much of that can be exposed for the modding community to play with. Stay tuned; once we're officially announced and such it should be possible to say a little bit more about that.

Last but not least... those of you concerned about the power of the new content tools need not be worried :) . We've got several games worth of experience in building these tools and suffice it to say they're pretty powerful (full disclosure: a lot of them are my responsibility, so some bias may exist :Wink: )

Flexibility and control are always top priority for our content tools, so there should be no cause for alarm there. You'll be able to do some pretty sweet stuff with the new toys.

Documentation is also something we're trying hard to keep up to par, and it's again one of my personal areas of responsibility for the AI systems in particular; so hopefully we'll have a nice end-to-end detailed document on how to build your own goodies with the new tools and how to deploy them. It should be safe to say that anything we have internally in terms of documentation will be made available for the mod community at some point, and probably a fair amount of extra how-to guides and such as well. Of course the scripts shipping with the game can always be peeked at for inspiration and guidance, and thanks to the XML (and some deftly-placed schema files) we can also offer inline hints for each command as to how they work and how they should be used.

All in all, I am personally pretty excited about this one, and look forward to seeing what you lot can dream up Wink

Apoch wrote:
Observe wrote:What is the purpose for separate mission and cutscene content creation? Is it because of some performance reason?

Thanks

Missions and cutscenes require very different types of logic. Missions are all about controlling objects, checking for conditions (Is the bad guy dead yet? Did you sell all the Tuna Fish to the Zoo?), and responding to game situations. Cutscenes are more about displaying a particular event or sequence of events.

Just as in X3TC it is possible to link the cutscene and mission systems so that a mission-controlled event can be played as a cutscene, but the two are separate because they do fundamentally different jobs.

Samuel Creshal wrote:Performance? With interpreted XML-scripts? There is no performance... Razz

Much of X2, X3R, and X3TC's game logic is implemented using XML-based scripts. What do you think the MSCI is? Wink

In any case, softweir is correct - there's nothing saying the XML is loaded and interpreted on the fly. In reality it's actually compiled into an in-memory representation (similar but highly more performant than the solution used in X2/3) and executed from there directly.

As I've said elsewhere, our performance issues are basically never related to the scripting tools in the game. They're plenty fast, and easy enough to make even faster if it becomes necessary.

X2-Eliah wrote:I might be in a minority here, but I do hope you guys are also focusing towards the game's content and not just the tools Razz Sure, modding is great, but the vanilla experience also matters a lot Wink

As Ketraar pointed out, the tools are useful for a lot more than just mods. In fact, the tools we're developing and using now are designed primarily with the "vanilla" experience in mind, and mod support basically nothing more than a nice bonus. We're keen on getting that bonus maximized for you guys, of course, but it's not like mod support is the driving goal of the project. We're making a game, not a tech demo Wink

modeling program?

cat/dat compression format?
Apoch wrote:
Observe wrote:1. Does 3DS Max remain the modeling program?
2. Are you keeping the cat/dat compression format?
1. Yes.
2. No. We're using a compression/light encryption system of course but it differs from that in X3.

Do you expect release of modding tools (encrypt/decrypt) near/simultaneous with release?

Will the decrypted model files be compatible with existing .bod format?

Are you using the same collision avoidance/detection/hitbox methods for your models as in X3, or is there a new way?

New AI Autopilot

The MSCI is dead, and no longer being used, is this correct?

Other info re tools etc.
Apoch wrote:
Observe wrote:1. Do you expect release of modding tools (encrypt/decrypt) near/simultaneous with release?
2. Will the decrypted model files be compatible with existing .bod format?
1. Can't say at this point.

2. No.

X2-Eliah wrote:Another question.. *Are you using the same collision avoidance/detection/hitbox methods for your models as in X3, or is there a new way?
Without saying too much, there's... vanishingly little technology shared between X3 and our current project.

Alien ND wrote:Have you got an auto pillock that works properly ?

*runs and hides from Egosoft*
I should hope so, as good AI control is one of my responsibilities :)

mark_a_condren wrote:Question for Apoch

It has been said that you are using 3 XML based tools for various aspects, AI control and cutscenes are 2. AI control being much like MD. The third is a little more unclear atm.

So from this info i am lead to believe the MSCI is dead, and no longer being used, is this correct?

I am going to cry if it is so, i don't think i have enough hair left to go through the process of learning a new format. And the cost in keyboards due to forehead on desk. I have NO programming skills in anything other the MSCI so i had to learn that from scratch and don't think i can do it again, *sad*.

MarCon
Not quite - the mission and storyline system is similar to the MD. The AI control system is again separate and very different from any other technology we've used in the past.

Again without saying too much, we're doing a lot of things in new ways now, and that includes areas that the MSCI formerly controlled.

The bad news is that the MSCI is, more or less, totally replaced now.

The good news is that the replacement is much more powerful, much easier to understand, and substantially more productive once you get used to it. I recommend checking out the AI script example from GDC 2011 if you're curious what the new AI systems look like from a script perspective. It's different, and will have a learning curve all its own, but again as I said earlier in the thread we're going to try and really do the documentation thing right this time, so with any luck it should be pretty quick to pick up. Certainly anyone with MSCI experience should find it accessible enough.

While I certainly sympathize with the wish to not have to relearn a lot of things to do scripting/modding, the fact of the matter is that times change and things are moving forwards, and we have to evolve and adapt as a studio or risk becoming irrelevant. Part of the cost of that is that we occasionally need to do things in totally new ways, and pay the price of re-education.

But... suffice it to say, I think on the whole everyone should like where things are going in terms of the tools we're working on :wink:

Can the new modding tools talk to each other?
Apoch wrote:
Ketraar wrote:3 xml based ways to control the game, does that mean interactivity between them? Unlike now where MD <-> MSCI (SE) hated each others guts.

They can cross-communicate where needed, yes.

I think i got them all from Apoch, and I tried to keep them in the correct order, as one question often led to another.

I have tried to put at the top of each section the questions they relate to, kinda!

Links to the quote are supplied in Apoch's name.

I will let you format them how you like. :wink:

MarCon

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 5. May 11, 10:10

Thanks Mark, but I actually found that depressing.

It means that scripts cannot be ported forward. Everything deemed needed to fill egosofts *insane* restrictions on what cant be done (and I dont doubt they will build them in as they have always done), will have to be rewritten from scratch. And I assume that means practically everything I have in scripts. I cant see a new game actually implementing my stuff as standard, and in the same sort of sandbox, I'm still going to want what I already have no matter how the new game runs.

The example of a script is so close to the MD it doesnt matter. Even with good documentation, I'm too old now to learn a new programming language. I dont have the brain or the motivation to do so. :(

For me, thats all bad news.

mark_a_condren
x3tc

Post by mark_a_condren » Thu, 5. May 11, 10:45

@ apricotslice

I know. Everything we know, or scripts / mods etc we have are worth squat!

Not sure yet as to if I'll be doing anything for it. Just have to wait and see when it comes out. I think i'm very much in the same boat as you :cry: .

MarCon

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”