I'm so excited for X Rebirth, BUT

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SmackinJuice
x3tc

I'm so excited for X Rebirth, BUT

Post by SmackinJuice » Sun, 11. Aug 13, 08:12

I'm even more excited for the expansion or the sequel, the one where they allow you to go into any ship and pilot it (like an old X game). :)

But can't wait for rebirth! this is going to be an instant preorder when it's on steam!

Inverness
x4

Post by Inverness » Sun, 11. Aug 13, 08:22

I don't know of a nice way to respond to this, so I'll just say don't try and be subtle.

Instead of complaining about how you're not able to directly pilot other ships, why not try the game out first and see how it, drones, and capital ship commanding are handled. Piloting a capital ship with a joystick like its a fighter is absurd and I think the people that advocate for that aren't really thinking about how such a thing can be improved so it's not just a copy of small ship piloting.

SyberSmoke
x4

Post by SyberSmoke » Sun, 11. Aug 13, 08:30

I do not think that being stuck to one ship will be as bad as people are worried about. And even if not everyone, bets are people will make many a mod that allows you to pilot other ships.

I just have a feeling that the game will lose something if this happens. I mean unless you go smaller than a M6, your probably going to lose the tactical aspect of being able to get in super close and kill individual turrets and systems. It would then just be slugging match and those with the better guns, armor, and shields will win. And that is not that much fun either.

Biscuitism
x3ap

Post by Biscuitism » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 00:32

I seriously don't see why people are so angry because of this. It's a single upgradeable ship. That has to be the smallest feature of the game. Look at all the space cities and things to explore. You should focus more on that than the ship. Who knows, maybe it'll be better than most imagined when the game comes out?

RWolf
x3tc

Post by RWolf » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 00:48

More importantly, why do you people always jump to the extremes such as "why would you want to pilot a slow capital ship".

For godsake...there are so many more ship classes that people actually like to fly. Shocking I know...

Some say the ship is just one small feature...but thats a load of space fly crap. The ship is everything, it the key defining point of any space sim. When you actually have the ability to acquire, own and fly (because thats what its all about) different ships as you progress through the universe, you start hitting on the main draw of these types of games and also a strong element in the sim genre.

But when you start limiting yourself to a single magical ship with upgrades, you suddenly start to get Darkstar One and a theme park space shooter.

Anyone notice the lack of other races in the game? Thats because like the OP has said, it appears to be one part of something larger that they are planning... perhaps a means to generate revenue while expanding the universe and its features.

Might as well call it Argoncraft at this point. So I have no idea what or why you guys think its smart or rational to criticize the OP for looking forward to the potential of expanding into more sim territory, the defining element of the franchise, which is piloting different ships. Heck, even freelancer, the arcade space shooter allowed a change in ships, so I dont think its entirely outside of their design document.

For all you guys know this is just a polished beta release to help fund the expansions or development of the game which they envisioned. If it doesnt then you are left with Darkstar Two.

Btw both Everquest Next and Star Citizen are taking the approach of releasing a version of their game first and then as time goes on, with possible development or revenue going in, leading to further releases. Its not out of the question for Egosoft to be taking a similar approach, though it wouldnt be exact.

gregs4163
x4

Post by gregs4163 » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 00:50

I too was a little surprised at only piloting one ship but I now think it's not a big deal and I believe it allowed Egosoft to create a more detailed and imaginative universe by not having to concentrate on piloting all the ships, I agree we must take an attitude of wait and see before making any final judgments.

AkrionXxarr
x4

Post by AkrionXxarr » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 01:27

Am I the only person to find the OP's post to be much more innocent than everybody else here seems to be taking it? :B I too am extremely exicted for X:R, and I too am also extremely exicted for what Egosoft may bring us in terms of expansions.

Captain Lemmiwinks
x3ap

Post by Captain Lemmiwinks » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 03:07

AkrionXxarr wrote:Am I the only person to find the OP's post to be much more innocent than everybody else here seems to be taking it? :B I too am extremely exicted for X:R, and I too am also extremely exicted for what Egosoft may bring us in terms of expansions.
nope you aint alone...

i think the single ship "feature" is going to explode sooner or later,i also think those saying they dont care are just telling lil ol` porkies.

we all know how much it meant to be able to fly anything made the game so playable.

removing it means removing a massive amount of x gameplay avenues,theres not much point in boarding or even buying other ships if you cant use them.
and if people think micro-managing is the same as flying them,then theres not much point in trying to put across the point.

i know we will see those same people squealing with delight when ES sell us an add-on to re-instate the feature.
as long as they can beat the modders to it.

been nostalgia playing for a week,and can tell you this...1 ship for me means no sale,and wait for the add-on\mod,as this"small" feature [for me at least] is a massive feature.

personal view stays the same,they have dumbed it down to a single ship for the console gamers.

***shields up*** :lol:

SunofVich
x3

Post by SunofVich » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 03:59

X:Rebirth reactions are typically as follows,

New X game: :D

Huge space cities: 8)

Mulit-core support: :thumb_up:

Your ship is the Pride of Albion: :o :shock: :x

BarrenEarth
x3

Post by BarrenEarth » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 04:50

Captain Lemmiwinks wrote:
AkrionXxarr wrote:Am I the only person to find the OP's post to be much more innocent than everybody else here seems to be taking it? :B I too am extremely exicted for X:R, and I too am also extremely exicted for what Egosoft may bring us in terms of expansions.
nope you aint alone...

i think the single ship "feature" is going to explode sooner or later,i also think those saying they dont care are just telling lil ol` porkies.

we all know how much it meant to be able to fly anything made the game so playable.

removing it means removing a massive amount of x gameplay avenues,theres not much point in boarding or even buying other ships if you cant use them.
and if people think micro-managing is the same as flying them,then theres not much point in trying to put across the point.

i know we will see those same people squealing with delight when ES sell us an add-on to re-instate the feature.
as long as they can beat the modders to it.

been nostalgia playing for a week,and can tell you this...1 ship for me means no sale,and wait for the add-on\mod,as this"small" feature [for me at least] is a massive feature.

personal view stays the same,they have dumbed it down to a single ship for the console gamers.

***shields up*** :lol:
You better put those shields up because there is no room on these forums for people who question the faith and loyalty of die hard fans.

I also have decided not to buy this game, that reason you stated being in my top 3.
X Rebirth for PC is expected to be released in Soon™

Atkara
x3tc

Post by Atkara » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 07:44

If Rebirth works as described, to hell with being able to sit on the cockpit of every single ship.

This, from someone quite skeptical on Egosoft's design decision about it.

ThommoHawk
x4

Re: I'm so excited for X Rebirth, BUT

Post by ThommoHawk » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 07:45

SmackinJuice wrote:I'm even more excited for the expansion or the sequel, the one where they allow you to go into any ship and pilot it (like an old X game). :)

But can't wait for rebirth! this is going to be an instant preorder when it's on steam!
^ OP: What you say, I agree is the truth of Rebirth. This is just the start: X REBIRTH V.1.0.

There is more to come for sure. Bernd himself has used terms like 'for now ..' and 'at the start ..' and so I do not discount other player ships in future expansions of X Rebirth (would not be surprised, just pleased).

This is like ultra-reboot of XBTF which also had one player ship.

I am not 'assuming' though - just would be presumptuous to rule out anything like that with this game. Egosoft has its plans and ideas for X Rebirth, and has demonstrated that it has the guts and perseverance to stick to its dream making it work, and will continue development along with the modding community and player feedback.

Remember key phrases from Bernd something like "this time we are heavily focusing on quality first (rather that context at the expense of quality) ..." and "to do X Rebirth is the most important decision Egosoft has ever made ...."

THE LAUNCH OF THIS GAME IS JUST v.1.0. It is the START of a new X Universe Series.
Atkara wrote:If Rebirth works as described, to hell with being able to sit on the cockpit of every single ship.

This, from someone quite skeptical on Egosoft's design decision about it.
heh ... and I reckon you are not alone in making such 'revisions'. Lot of folks must be thinking .... " :o ...SOLD!"
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 08:05

I would expect that in future content, or future expansions, the player will be able to transfer to a range of different corvette, or maybe frigate class ships.

I think ES's decision to make personally flying destroyers and carriers a thing of the past is the right call. But I would certainly prefer the ability to give orders to a capital ship from its own bridge, with a view screen. As if you were the captain, as opposed to the pilot.

Furthermore, I think the days of flying fighters, intercepters and scouts are over, as they all seem to have been replaced by drones.

I expect that with the time, cost and effort involved in building stations and capital ships, there will be far more scope for increasing your empire than ever before. I'm sure that building and managing stations to maintain your fleet of capital ships will be far more complex and difficult than just buying a new M2 in X3TC/AP.

frankestein

Post by frankestein » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 10:04

roaming with a capital ship = super boring gameplay
killing enemies with all that firepower = awesome

but most of the time you're roaming so i think they made the right choice.
and because of the boarding and the possibility of walking in your ship they had to design the interior of all the ships so they feel different from eachother and it's really not possible with a 20 man strong group . you have to be rational .

martens
x3tc

Post by martens » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 10:12

RWolf wrote:Btw both Everquest Next and Star Citizen are taking the approach of releasing a version of their game first and then as time goes on, with possible development or revenue going in, leading to further releases. Its not out of the question for Egosoft to be taking a similar approach, though it wouldnt be exact.
I'll focus on Star Citizen in my answer. Well Star Citizen is a MMO. So there will continously content updates on a planned weekly or bi-weekly basis.

These content updates will be for the persistent universe. But you will also be able to set up your own private servers with your own rules.

To the multiple releases:
The complete game release for the public will be around 2015. But CIG developes in modules. As development goes along they will finish one module after another; beginning with the hangar module v1 this August. Because of these partial releases of some modules on the way, they can get early feedback and prevent problems of most publisher based MMOs that get the feedback on release.

These partial releases will be backer-only. The first iteration of the hangar module this August, the dogfighting alpha this November/December and later the planetside module. It will start with the hangar and only the small ships. With each iteration more ships will become available as they are built. Once the dogfighting alpha is out, you can basically walk out of the hangar and join a fight. With the planetside module you can walk out of another door of the hangar and be on a planet.

The first versions will be far from polished and bugfree. But they allow early fan feedback on a solid basis. They allow balancing with the real people that will play on release.

@topic:
The single ship policy is OK for me. I have way more critical points on the road to glory. There are the textures, the co-pilot, the light reflection in the cockpit, the controls, the ECONOMY, etc.

Once these things are sorted out, I can start thinking about minor things (for me) like a one-ship policy.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
martens

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 19:50

I wonder if things would be different if they said "only 1 ship... it's the Hyperion Vanguard right from the start".

I guess a lot of people would still miss some aspects of flying other ships, but ... I for one am happy with the capital ship commanding concept, and I think the fighter drones will be a way to fly and fight an M4/M5 class ship without any worries over getting killed in it, which is great. All the benefits of a little fighter combat, none of the disadvantages.

But I still worry about why there's only 1 ship... I can't help feeling its because they've put so much first-person nonsense in, that you'll have to fly it by talking to the copilot and walking (well, stumbling like a drunkard if you play FPSs like I do) down corridors to the comms centre, and stumbling down corridors in stations to the trader hangout. And the reason there's only 1 ship is because they've spent so much time on that FPS cockpit layout they don't have time to create a dozen other layouts.

But we'll see.. if we get fleet command like a strategy game, then I'll be even happier!

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 20:06

more like they spent the time creating 4 dozen more factory complexes!
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

DarkTemplar
x3tc

Post by DarkTemplar » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 20:11

Inverness wrote:I don't know of a nice way to respond to this, so I'll just say don't try and be subtle.

Instead of complaining about how you're not able to directly pilot other ships, why not try the game out first and see how it, drones, and capital ship commanding are handled. Piloting a capital ship with a joystick like its a fighter is absurd and I think the people that advocate for that aren't really thinking about how such a thing can be improved so it's not just a copy of small ship piloting.
Any more absurd than having a space sim in the first place? I think not.

On topic. They were too busy adding features hardly anyone of their loyal customers wanted or needed. Like having MORE ACTION and BEING ABLE TO PLAY IT LIKE AN FPS with WEAPON CHANGING ON THE FLY and other stuff like that.

BarrenEarth
x3

Post by BarrenEarth » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 20:30

It would appear after an initial analysis that Egosoft decided to make walking in stations and co-pilot interaction a priority to cover up game flaws and design let down.

Flash is never a substitute for substance, we are about to see this the hard way.
X Rebirth for PC is expected to be released in Soon™

laminblake

Post by laminblake » Mon, 12. Aug 13, 21:34

Or maybe they added the content to add to the setting and scale of the universe. It's not like the game has been rushed, they've been working on it for 7 years.....

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”