XRebirth can be saved, but it's not our job
12%
XRebirth just needs to be remade
13%

Total votes: 215

Akalay

XRebirth General Opinions

Post by Akalay » Fri, 4. Apr 14, 22:03

Guys, lets get this out in the open, XRebirth was bad, and the developers know this. It's pretty apparent that the game wasn't the best, but they took a leap and didn't make it, now they have to climb up from the hole they fell in and it's not easy. What if you put your hard work into a game and everyone dissed it with abandon? All the negative things being said on the forums isn't helping the developers at all, in fact, it might be demoralizing them. Let it go, rebirth was bad, they are trying to fix it. They may be low on funding, manpower, or knowledge of how to, but they are trying. Lets just be supportive, push them on, and wait. It's all we can do. I think Rebirth can be saved, with a few tweaks, and maybe some major gameplay changes, but still fixable. I love X3TC, but guys, how much farther could it go? They had to take a chance to change things up. Granted, not the best way to go about it, but they did it, we got to get over it. Now I'm not saying they can't take things from X3, because that game was godly, but after awhile, like all games, it can get old. In rebirth they let you WALK inside a STATION, for chirst's sake. Do you know how long I've wanted to do that? They made it more dynamic, with stations that weren't copy/pasted throughout the entire known galaxy. Rebirth has potential. It would help if the Modders out there pitched in more, and tried to fix it themselves, let the developers see how we'd fix it, and maybe they'll take it from there.

If you're going to reply, do it from the heart. If you think I'm completely right, say so. If you think I'm spewing hot air and don't know anything, say so. And for the people who don't feel like reading or posting, I'll add a poll.
When every color is another shade of damnation,
and the final fires have fallen into ash,
and all hopes awash insensate fate,
then heed the bell that toll's the end of always,
for always was never a promise.

DorianEU

Post by DorianEU » Fri, 4. Apr 14, 22:06

Can be saved :)

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Fri, 4. Apr 14, 22:37

Rebirth needs some major changes before I even start considering buying it, but by then it probably is going to be too late.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 4. Apr 14, 22:40

I don't think it can be saved now, too much time, too much is missing, so much change is still required.

Can X Rebirth evolve into something better? Yes I think there is a case to be made here.

Don't get me wrong I would like XR to be saved but realistically there is no commercial case for that, sooner or later Egosoft I think will be forced to move on.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Fri, 4. Apr 14, 22:57

X-Rebirth will probably never be what some want it to be without an expansion/DLC or becoming the next game in the series - my reasoning, items such as the single ship pilotage restriction. I doubt if it will be lifted in a free update.

As a game in it's own right, yes it can be redeemed - the recent Beta and v1.25 are evidence of that but it will not happen over-night (and the next game/expansion will probably not appear quickly either).

If X-Rebirth is not redeemed then I suspect that it will be the last game we will ever see out of the doors of Egosoft.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Lorenzo
x3tc

Post by Lorenzo » Fri, 4. Apr 14, 23:00

if they are half as smart as Stardock has been, they will stabilise the game, then rename it something else and sell it again continuing to improve its mechanics

three renaming later, the game will be good :roll:

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Fri, 4. Apr 14, 23:00

Voted savable with community help.

I picked up Rebirth just before 1.30 beta arrived so I didn't experience earlier community-Dev interactions but I have to say, I've been impressed with the back and forth discussion between Devs and players about various bugs. The Joystick thread in particular is joy to read and I use a mouse.
Last edited by Sparky Sparkycorp on Fri, 4. Apr 14, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

Locksley
x3tc

Post by Locksley » Fri, 4. Apr 14, 23:00

Yeah...
I voted saved with out help, because we are the ones playing it.

I feel I got no control over my assets in this game. I can't order them around, I don't really know what is going on, and I don't feel I can Build, Trade, Fight, Think.

Playing X-Rebirth has made me want to reinstall X-Tc and then X-albion with all mods bells and whistles. Because you could Do things in them.

I love the shadows in X-Rebirth.
Love the giant stations with lots of ports - makes them feel more alive as a total.
Love that there is a liitle more freedom with the characters.
And I love that there is less cartoons around.

Cheerio
Projects:
Onhold..... time time....

Eriodas

Post by Eriodas » Sat, 5. Apr 14, 00:06

Can be saved but with comunity help.

But i think they need to fix the basic gameplay for that to happen (Modders are abandoning this game).

Graphics are decent, there are more things that can be potencially modable for improvement (like the hud modes, or the targetting systems on ships and stations, drones, zones...)

BUT they still need to addres the one ship only mistake that doesn't seem very mod-friendly right now, and other things like:
- The turrets in our own ship
- The medium/small ship buy/repair (maybe Bernd also knew (THOUGHT) that we didn't like to fly small ships as well as the Big ones).
- The ammount of softwares that we can buy/install/use...
- The orders we can/should issue to NPCs that we hire to control OUR ASSETS (not theirs... but there is a mod working on that)
- The information we need to see how our empire is growing (hopefully)
- The amount of sectors to be explored.. there isn't even 1 Prime sector of any race.
- The return of all the races that were excluded for an X universe Game (OMG and please include their ships as well, i'm already tired to see the same ships over and over and over).

And of course many, many more that you probably have already seen on this forum (too much to post in here).

dlryan
x3tc

Post by dlryan » Sat, 5. Apr 14, 08:55

This can be saved? I never bought this game. Just used my friends steam account to play - because he was stupid enough to buy it when it released, and I knew it would be a massive problem at release.

You know what the problem with Rebirth is....here it is folks;

Let's ignore any and all bugs. The game is bugfree and works perfectly on any and all systems, even high end systems with 20000FPS.

The fact of the matter is that when you get past all of that - AND THATS A BIG DEAL FOLKS! - The fact of the matter is, it's just not a very good game. There's very little depth. It's a painfully dead universe that is a gigantic step backwards for anyone who's played any of their previous games. It's small. In every way. From property owned (ships factories) to the sheer depth and size of the universe and factions/races involved in the game.

The game is dumbed down. I don't know if it was for Xbox, as reported, or what. But folks...even the graphics...they're not very good. Not for something that a; Was released in late 2013, and b, TOOK OVER 10 YEARS TO MAKE!!!

Honestly folks, if you think this game can be saved and you plan on investing your money in it, then may I suggest some other activities you will probably enjoy;
Wiping yourself with 100$ bills.
Setting your house on fire.
Taking a dump on a police officer's patrol car. While he sits in it.

The fact of the matter is this game took 10 years to build and release. The state it was released in was nothing short of pure insulting, revolting and offensive. Furthermore to that, they released a game under the X name, with the intention to lure in said fans, all the while the game, product, story, everything is completely different. Gameplay is dumbed down drastically, graphics are a joke, they're made for a console that's a decade old.

This joke of a product deserves nothing more than the first excuse in egosofts bankruptcy declaration statement. No company should be able to release such utter garbage - on 10 years loyalty - and get away with it.
AMD FX 8core 8150 4.5ghz(overclocked)4x8gb ram, ATI Crossfire Radeon 7850HD x2. Sabertooth 990fx mobo

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sat, 5. Apr 14, 09:12

I am not very keen on the "can be saved" thing, overly dramatic. I believe the game can be "finished" first, and "expanded" later. The game is good, but crippled by bugs and unfinished features.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 5. Apr 14, 09:23

dlryan wrote:There's very little depth. It's a painfully dead universe that is a gigantic step backwards for anyone who's played any of their previous games. It's small. In every way. From property owned (ships factories) to the sheer depth and size of the universe and factions/races involved in the game.
Yes and no, the variety of the universe has been reduced perhaps but there is perhaps more depth in terms of game play mechanics - I am not talking about the more controversial stuff per se but rather the ability to assign crews. If I only judged a game's "depth" by the scope and size of the environment then I might agree with the "very little depth" argument, but I do not.
dlryan wrote:The game is dumbed down. I don't know if it was for Xbox, as reported, or what. But folks...even the graphics...they're not very good. Not for something that a; Was released in late 2013, and b, TOOK OVER 10 YEARS TO MAKE!!!
Errm... where did you get that from? By the information we have it only took 7 years - not that it is particularly relevant to this thread though. Yes, it was released 15-Nov-2013 (EDIT: Fixed Typo) and there is still work to be done 4.5 months after release but it is getting there based on what I have been seeing. Some in the community are even suggesting that v1.30 will be the state it should have been released in originally. This later point is particularly relevant to this discussion since it is a strong indicator that the "Yes" crowd may be right (but only time will tell).

The problem with X-Rebirth may not be with the software though but rather the impact Egosoft's reputation has taken (amongst at least some of the gaming community) from the original release state (both in terms of software quality and feature set); However, only time will tell if it will be a significant factor though.
santi wrote:I am not very keen on the "can be saved" thing, overly dramatic. I believe the game can be "finished" first, and "expanded" later. The game is good, but crippled by bugs and unfinished features.
+1 :D
Last edited by Sam L.R. Griffiths on Sat, 5. Apr 14, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

RedEclipse
x4

Post by RedEclipse » Sat, 5. Apr 14, 10:20

From the results, the "can be saved" side is wider than at release, this is important to quote. My joke about "Episode 1.30RC3 A NEW HOPE" was not innocent :)

But the main problem I think is the total votes.

That is small.

So they need an addon to bring people back.

There is still bugs, still bad or "meh" things in the game : I hope they don't release an addon or standalone too soon (maybe the standalone idea would be nice to make people talk about it because an addon = sell the game + sell the addon and maybe people made geiss about not buying the game).

And I hope they release in perfect clean state because there will be other games to compare at that moment.

I voted "can be saved with our help". But I see 2 problems at the moment :
- I'm not sure they'll "loose time" to talk with us. The problem with that is all the other games we speak about are made with kickstarter and quite heavy on asking what the players want. Rebirth won't have this signature.
- MD is bad. Seriously. It's a pain in the ass to read/understand. I tried to mod it to a more C-like language but : with 300 commands + 500 attributes, that's not really easy to do.
I don't say it's hard to write or program but it's really hard to read/understand and debug.
I think that's why modding community is so low this time. People tries to learn but they can't.
"AaaAaaAah ! They're everywhere...", Jane Doe, Freedom Force.

CNR4806

Post by CNR4806 » Sat, 5. Apr 14, 12:48

The only way that I can see this pile of smoking debris getting salvaged is for Egosoft to admit that this IS a pile of smoking debris and strip the X from its title.

Otherwise it is going to stay as a pile of smoking debris, with less smoke coming out of it over time as patches are applied. Because I honestly don't see any way for it to have what the fanbase (and the public really) expect from an X game based on past titles.
Last edited by CNR4806 on Sat, 5. Apr 14, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

Darrosquall
x4

Post by Darrosquall » Sat, 5. Apr 14, 12:49

the game is already saved. The patch 1.30 bring the game to the normality. Maybe it's not better than previous games, but it is unique, has his features and it's a good(great for me) game.

Obviously can be improved, just like every thing in the world.
Last edited by Darrosquall on Sat, 5. Apr 14, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Sat, 5. Apr 14, 12:54

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:Yes, it was released 15-Nov-2014
If only it was. :roll:
RedEclipse wrote:From the results, the "can be saved" side is wider than at release, this is important to quote.

But the main problem I think is the total votes.

That is small.
The poll is rather new, total votes will go up (55 now). But it is unlikely to pass 300 votes like the previous poll.

The question is not if it can be saved, because giving enough time it will be. The better question would be: Is it worth saving?

Locksley
x3tc

Post by Locksley » Sat, 5. Apr 14, 13:31

Graaf wrote: The question is not if it can be saved, because giving enough time it will be. The better question would be: Is it worth saving?
As apposed to what? Work on a new game and charge yet again for a product we already bought?

Look at the engine, it has no loading screens. It loads on the fly stuff that need to be there.
If the memory management works right, they and we can fill the universe with stuff.
Add activators to things in stations - modd it or game developer.
I could go on and on about what you could do...

We got a platform here! That is what we are saving, not the game as it stands. I get bored and frustrated when playing this game but I don't want this game, I want what it can be.

I don't want to save This, I want to save the future (preferably not so far ahead).
Projects:
Onhold..... time time....

navetta
x3ap

Post by navetta » Sat, 5. Apr 14, 13:50

RedEclipse wrote:From the results, the "can be saved" side is wider than at release, this is important to quote.
Thats because the vast majority has completely given up on this POS and only the very few people that enjoy it still bother with the forums/polls.

The forum itself is nearly dead and so is the game with just a couple hundred people playing it lol.

JClosed
x3tc

Post by JClosed » Sat, 5. Apr 14, 14:27

navetta wrote:
Thats because the vast majority has completely given up on this POS and only the very few people that enjoy it still bother with the forums/polls.

The forum itself is nearly dead and so is the game with just a couple hundred people playing it lol.
The forum is nearly dead because of all that vitriolic discussions here. And I mean that from both sides. Who would like to post here when he/she get insulted, flamed or worse?

Better to avoid this forum as much as possible. I was a regular visitor here, but I noticed that whenever I post something positive I get jumped on by an hurdle of growling, gnashing and biting game-haters. As an result I post as little as possible here and avoid this part of the forum as much as possible. I mostly visit the beta patch part only, and I am sure I am not the only one that does that!

Anyway - the game can be improved (I think the therm "saved" is overly dramatic). At this moment the game is really good playable, or -as someone here mentioned- it is as it should have been in "release state". There will be expansions, add-on's and improvements in the coming months without any doubt.

Some will not like the game play, but that's an whole other matter. For me the "old" X3 game play lost it's magic and I welcome the new game-play. I am probably not in the majority, but I would not like to play a game that the "majority" approves, if that means I have to do that old boring stuff again. Sorry - but I am selfish enough to want the game the way like I it, and that's the direction it takes now...

steelgrey75
x3ap

Post by steelgrey75 » Sat, 5. Apr 14, 15:12

This game is doomed, dooooooomed. Nobody in their right mind would consider wasting money on something thats universally (apart from the 300 players that say its brilliant) been ripped to shreds in every professional and user review (apart from the people that think its great and scored it highly). However I do owe ES my gratitude, as if the game had been as good as X3 was, then I would have been on it non-stop. As it is I discovered Europa Universalis 4 for the very first time thanks to this pile of trash game, and I am grateful for that because so far I've put in almost 200 hours of pure enjoyment. That was money well spent.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”