Will we have better ship interiors in X4?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Will we have better ship interiors in X4?

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 21. Feb 17, 23:04

I mean other than the cheap-trick landing pad?

Recently I was looking at Space Engineers video and couldn't help but to think I'd rather have ship interiors than station interiors - not to mention this "minecraft o steroids" interiors looks waaaay better than anything in X-Rebirth:
https://youtu.be/s8zTFZW3Lso?t=3m10s

I don't think fully customizable/buildable interiors is what we need for X4, but distinct interiors for each ship type.
Additionally interiors would have to have purpose and not just look shiny (e.g. hangar on carrier, marine barracks, crew quarters for passengers, bridge, cargo bay for freighters).

I think something like Normandy in ME1 and ME2.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Re: Will we have better ship interiors in X4?

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 22. Feb 17, 08:47

mr.WHO wrote:distinct interiors for each ship type.
I see a potential pitfall here - surely ships of different races should have vastly different characters? Thus, not just ship types, but ship race and ship type (and in fact I would think that the racial flavour would be more visually striking, affecting textures and fittings, while the ship type would mainly affect overall layout and structure - so, colour choices and decor style of both a fighter and a capital ship of the same race may be quite different, but the interior space and how it's used would differ vastly, while perhaps the interiors of two fighters of different races may be *somewhat* similar (to accommodate a single pilot in a position conducive to intense combat), while the surfaces, instruments, lighting, etc might be vastly different...

mr.WHO wrote:Additionally interiors would have to have purpose and not just look shiny (e.g. hangar on carrier, marine barracks, crew quarters for passengers, bridge, cargo bay for freighters).
+1

mr.WHO wrote:I think something like Normandy in ME1 and ME2.
Oh, but that is SUCH eyecandy! :D Great artistic vision and direction, too...
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 22. Feb 17, 09:13

But nowhere to keep your fags, beer and condoms in case you get lucky ... :)

KRM398
xr

what Ego better be thinking

Post by KRM398 » Wed, 22. Feb 17, 14:32

if they really are making an X4 or something like it they better take the time to look around. even FTP games have nice graphics now, and AAA games have walking on planets and inside your ships. Captains quarters and entertainment centers there have been around for years, and customizing ships with different guns, shields and engines too, some of these have been around more than a decade...so if they want to impress anyone after the mess that was Rebirth when it came out, they better take the time to see what we have been playing lately and if they cant match it...dont bother.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Wed, 22. Feb 17, 16:21

I think they should do something like what No Man's Sky did with last update..... Give player ability to build or expand their own interiors. We can place our rooms how and where we want it. Also it would be good idea to be able to share our designs trough steam workshop.....

But personally i doubt we are going to see any of this.... I don't want to expect too much like i did with XR :cry:
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

KRM398
xr

Post by KRM398 » Wed, 22. Feb 17, 17:20

I swore after Rebirth I'd never buy from Egosoft again, and I own every game they ever made. This is their last chance and I'll watch and see, still not saying I'll buy one, so they better make something extremely great first time out, not half finished, and have walking inside our ships or on planets, or dont even bother trying.little Indy game makers have a lot of this stuff now, so theres no excuse for a bigger company to not add it to their next game.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Wed, 22. Feb 17, 17:55

I hope not. It would mean they will again waste time and resources on Walking in Stations.

The only proper interior you need to see it the cockpit or bridge of your ships, nothing else.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 22. Feb 17, 18:08

I'm with KRM398. While I was quite cool to the idea of walking around when Rebirth came out, I've since warmed up to the idea. Note I said the 'idea'. The current implementation is very poor, IMO. There's so much more that could've been done, such as having most of the traders in their own shops, having an employment bureau where you can hire crew, etc.

This was all done way back in the original Privateer, albeit in 2D, not 3D. But it made that game much more interesting and alive. Simply floating around in space in your ship all the time makes the world feel dead. A good implementation of first-person walking in stations and ships would be a great selling point for the game, again IMO.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Wed, 22. Feb 17, 18:23

- WAAAAAAAH PL0X REINVENT THE WHEEL.

- Egosoft reinvents the wheel.

- WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!111!!11eleventeen IT'S NOT X ANYM0R3!!! U TR1CKED ME!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!11 LIERZ!!

- Rinse and repeat ad-infinity.

They released exactly what they said they would. They ****** up testing and fixed it as they did with every single ****** X title to day. They were all broken on release. You people are the reason why we can't have good things. Quit asking for nonsense that is wasting the precious development time on garbage you will be whining about anyway because that's not how you see A, that's not how you believe B should be, it's not so sparkly enough to blind an average person and requires 8 top end GPUs to run at 15 fps. This isn't an rpg, I don't need private quarters with your sidekicks wearing scanty bikinis and drinking martinis with your bros. You want eyecandy there is that Star Citizen... maybe it will be released in 3018.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 22. Feb 17, 18:42

Graaf wrote:I hope not. It would mean they will again waste time and resources on Walking in Stations.

The only proper interior you need to see it the cockpit or bridge of your ships, nothing else.

Well - I too think that if the interiors would be only for looks then there is no point for them (except ship bridge).

However if they would have some practical meaning then it's the different story - example:

Bridge - obvious. Note that it should be optimized for performance as the engine would have to display bridge + exterior universe.

Crew quarters - these would define the size of the crew and how many additional passengers ship can carry (e.g. TP ship for hoarding your NPC, more engineers for faster repairs, more defense officers for better turrets performance etc. - that way crew compasition would be the customizable factor, unlike the Rebirth Captain + Enginee + DO).

Marine Barracks - define how many marines ship carry (boarding potentian and boarding resistance).

Hangar - define how many fighters ship carry - each fighters should have it's own docking rack like in X-BTF and X2, so if my carrier has 10 Foltors and 10 Triaths I should see 10 of these and 10 of these in my hangar.

I do realize that all of the upper stuff could be done faster/easier/better via GUI menus, but I also think that this can also be easily done with existing X-Rebirth assets - I mean in real life ships are modular and looks basically the same - so the risk of making something as bad and rudimentary as X-Rebirth landing pad is minimal.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Wed, 22. Feb 17, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 22. Feb 17, 18:45

Agree totally with hisazul ...Get the basic universe right with plenty of mod tools for appeal to different play styles,,, then maybe add the frippery... don't need entertainment centres, bars, offices, breasts, mini games etc etc let that come as paid DLC and then see how many want these things.... And no silver platter for the dimwitted lazy player...... make that a DLC as well... "easy peasy free money mode".
Regretfully after seeing the poor quality dumbed down productions of top selling games this has a very slim chance of being realised.... :(

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 22. Feb 17, 18:53

I have to stand with hisazul and Graaf on this one.
Of course, exploring stations is a fun eye candy, but it's not what the game is about. I can't remember the last time I docked at a station for any other purpose other than fixing/upgrading my ship. The way the game is made, it's just not where things are happening. So, while improvements would be welcome, I'm sure most of them will be totally disregarded by the players unless other more important aspects of the game are fixed first.

An exception should be made for cockpits (or capital ship bridges, if they ever make it in the next game). They are where you spend the whole game, so I hope they are there to stay, to be customized and to be improved.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 22. Feb 17, 19:05

Giant YES to cockpits,, with plenty of relevant information available not just a picture of a gun or rocket ... relevant updating information.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 22. Feb 17, 19:57

birdtable wrote:Agree totally with hisazul ...Get the basic universe right with plenty of mod tools for appeal to different play styles,,, then maybe add the frippery... don't need entertainment centres, bars, offices, breasts, mini games etc etc let that come as paid DLC and then see how many want these things.... And no silver platter for the dimwitted lazy player...... make that a DLC as well... "easy peasy free money mode".... :(
Many seem to be missing my point. :roll: Do ANY of you remember Privateer? Seems not. Without the station docking, many of the good points of Privateer wouldn't have existed. Landing on a station and interacting with the locals was a big part of the game. As I said above, the current implementation in Rebirth is poor. It doesn't need enhancing, it needs changing. It also doesn't need removing. :P

Egosoft already knows how to do the space part, mostly. That doesn't need a whole lot of redesigning. It just needs enhancing.

And yes, absolutely no more stupid minigames. Those have no place in a space trading game. Period.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Wed, 22. Feb 17, 23:57

To each his own. I'm perfectly content with current interiors for stations. If I absolutely have to land, they look decent enough and they aren't endless mazes. Variations are lacking but each type has they own few presets and some factions have their own versions.

What people want is a city with rpg elements, buildable freaking houses, lots of things that have nothing to do with space sims. I have not ONCE finished Fallout 4 simply because of settlements. I can't leave them alone because I'm OCD about completion but I hate them from every single damn direction there is. If there was 1-2 that would be one thing but they are shoved down your throat at every step you take and there are freaking 40 of them with butt ugly building mechanics. That's the problem... Forgetting what the main point of a game is and adding random stuff just because joeh@x0R demands and arriving at what we have now.

Implementation has a point in discussion when the game was not advertised as new engine reboot test drive. Rebirth was advertised before release as just that. What people imagined it would be is irrelevant.

Keep interiors small and to the point, make BRIDGES and genuine actual LANDING PADS/DOCKS(not some wacky bubble on top of the ship). That is all that is required for an X title.

So much was said about interiors and now it was all almost entirely made obsolete because player1 has no interest in it and wants to be in a ship, player2 finds them ugly, player3 hates minigames, player4 has some other reason for not wanting to land, etc... and we end up where we are now. Almost everything can be done remotely.

Let Ego do what they do best. Making SPACE SIMS. Then if they are so inclined they can strap on some bells and whistles for all kinds of people to enjoy.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 23. Feb 17, 00:22

hisazul wrote:....
What people want is a city with rpg elements, buildable freaking houses, lots of things that have nothing to do with space sims....
What people?? I saw one mention of one of these. You're beginning to sound like The Donald. Alternate facts, anyone? :P

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Thu, 23. Feb 17, 03:08

Nanook wrote:
hisazul wrote:....
What people want is a city with rpg elements, buildable freaking houses, lots of things that have nothing to do with space sims....
What people?? I saw one mention of one of these. You're beginning to sound like The Donald. Alternate facts, anyone? :P
It was more of the general direction ppl are taking rather then one comment about NMS and freighter base building. It looks pretty silly and doesn't fit dimensions but it is fine there... because you have ONE freighter. I don't want some crazy boron fortress of solitude. It would just creep me out. I want to get lost in space in X4 not in boron station, then walk out and feel like I just got touched by "friendly" space squids in all the wrong places. :boron:

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 23. Feb 17, 06:34

hisazul wrote: What people want is a city with rpg elements, buildable freaking houses, lots of things that have nothing to do with space sims. I have not ONCE finished Fallout 4 simply because of settlements. I can't leave them alone because I'm OCD about completion but I hate them from every single damn direction there is. If there was 1-2 that would be one thing but they are shoved down your throat at every step you take and there are freaking 40 of them with butt ugly building mechanics. That's the problem... Forgetting what the main point of a game is and adding random stuff just because joeh@x0R demands and arriving at what we have now.
Well, first I'm on the same boat regarding Fallout 4, never finished it for the same reason.

However there is something about this argument: is the problem about the feature being there, or that it's there and it sucks? For example, what happens if the settlement building/managing aspect of Fallout 4 is 10 times better than it is now, would you want it to be there? It's kinda ironic, I bought Fallout 4 mainly was because of settlement building features, feel like I can do something that has a permanent change to the game world, but it ended up being so bad it's the reason I don't want to finish the game.

Most of the features in X4, if they can be brought up to work to satisfaction, I bet no one will complain. It's a sandbox game and you'll be surprised how much people interest varied. I know there are people spent more time making ship in the editor then playing the game in Galactic Civlization III. The only problem them are too many of the features are sub-bar or feel like half-cup full:

- The combat work, but we're stuck with one ship.
- We can upgrade the skunk, but there are limited configuration. Meaning you can't really change it into something radically different. (Think darkstar one).
- We have some soft of control on capital ship, but the AI sucks.
- We can equip the capital ship, but customization doesn't really exist.
- We can dock, but it's the blackscreen treatment.
- We can get on station, but they all look the same and boring.
- We can talk to the NPC, but I want to punch each and all of them most of the time.

And the list go on. If all of most them work as intended, X4 will be a peach and best game there is. I think the station building part was the only one worked to satisfaction right out of the gate, and trading has becomes a lot better because we have a lot of freedom in it now and more tools. In short, X4 is just the case of too many idea at one time. Each by themselves I wouldn't call un-needed, but if and only if they're fully featured.

I think Elite got a lot of flak in the beginning for how plain the game was at first, but IMO it has a good development plan. It doesn't try to deliver a lot at a time, but whatever it deliver work fully, enough to keep people happy. Then each time a new feature is added, it has a positive effect - that is new stuff being added, not broken things being fixed.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Thu, 23. Feb 17, 07:42

Mightysword wrote:... and trading has becomes a lot better because we have a lot of freedom in it now and more tools.
Maybe managing a fleet of trade ship has improved, but actually using the player ship to trade is still missing. And I don't want to be a manager.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Thu, 23. Feb 17, 09:37

Here is some problems that i see in XR that needs to be addressed in next title first:

1) AI,AI,AI,AI,AI.........

2) More player ships (they are giving us that but it seems we will be limited to S/M ships).

3) True Sandbox where we can make diffrence and not just static unchanged uneverse.

4) Weapons balance (drones,missiles are joke).

5) Economy balance. Not enough sinks and player cant influence anything. Economy should be able to grow as well as uneverse. Also it should be able to collapse to some extent.

6) Proper UI for easy fleet management.

Perhaps if they solve some those issues they could make good game. As for game interiors there is no point of having them unless there is something to do in them. SC did good job with their and i hope Ego do something simular( it don't need to match AAA standards though) ;)
Last edited by Nikola515 on Thu, 23. Feb 17, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”