[4.20 HF1] BUG - Unknown issue impeding correct functionality of the UI.

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dertien
x2

[4.20 HF1] BUG - Unknown issue impeding correct functionality of the UI.

Post by dertien » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 02:22

It happens more than often now that the UI is not responding properly to commands. It is a hit and miss affair. Sometimes the menu might respond correctly and then suddenly bug up; and I can not put my finger on the problem.

This implies that:

- Platform icons no longer turn dockable when approached; docking is thus no longer possible. Not on ships and not on stations.
- The Quickemenu, Abilities menu and Legacy menu do not respond to their XY axis command; furthermore, the Quickmenu and the Abilities menu remain open after the button is released.
- The interaction menu is unresponsive and does not show up at all.
- The Legacy menu which normally also responds to XY-axis movements and its button is completely unresponsive.

Tried Alt+Enter / Setting game to fullscreen / windowed etc... changing monitor behavior to single or double... changing resolution; nothing will help.

This is really annoying as what causes this is not likely traceable and really impedes game progression.

Can anyone confirm this?

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 13:32

Please could you confirm which control method this report relates to? Sorry if I'm failing to infer something obvious this from the "XY-axis" note.

Please also confirm if this is a report for 4.20 HF1 behaviour.

Itaros
x4

Post by Itaros » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 13:50

4.20 HF1 here. Using joystick for lulz:
Platform icons no longer turn dockable when approached; docking is thus no longer possible. Not on ships and not on stations.
No idea how that relates, but after a while those are becoming unselectable. Restarting the game fixes that for a while then it suddenly stops working. Actually not only platform icons become affected - infopoints and tradeoffer icons are unselectable until the game is restarted as well.
Staring at Yisha in VR

jiggywit

Post by jiggywit » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 14:20

If had the menus stop responding to the pointer. You can't even close it by selecting the back button.

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 14:25

@Sparky and Itaros.

AFAIK this issue relates to HF1, since before the update, I did not seem to have a problem with it.

Control Method: Why, the industry standard of course :) : CH USB Fighterstick and CH USB Throttle. HOTAS.

I was not able to get rid of the issue by simply restarting the game, nor by restarting the PC. Sometimes as Itaros sais it would just happen mid game session.

EDIT: well that trick is no longer working neither:

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 17:11

Tried loading the game up 5 times now and no matter what game I load up:

Sadly docking does not work anymore.

Like I said there is one telltale if you will be able to dock:

- If you start up your game and the quick menu stays put when you release the button, you won't be able to dock.
Last edited by dertien on Sat, 5. Aug 17, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

Franc Kaos

Post by Franc Kaos » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 00:00

Been plying for a few hours now. Docking doesn't work via joystick, couldn't be bothered rebooting the PC but did reboot the game, no difference, but I did notice that when using the Touch, when you point the first click selects the station icon, second click brings up the options, dock etc.

The dock command (neither keyboard nor HOTAS) does anything. As you approach the icon the two inward arrows don't appear.

At one point I bought up the quick menu, pulled the joystick back to the dock icon, pressed interact and it worked, but not after that, could no longer open dialogue with NPCs or re enter the ship.

When it was working, pre update, I'm sure when I interacted with those boxes scattered on platforms they transferred stuff to my inventory, but with the Touch I can only seem to get encyclopedia entries about the contents, no option to take.

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 00:17

I am likewise unable to interact with things like docking points, or even able to target highway icons to do things like set the autopilot. Putting the HMD cursor on the icon and hitting the interact button (default F) has absolutely no effect on this items.

On things that I can target, like ships, it brings up the quick interact options, but with no way to select them, Moving the joystick around maneuvers the ship rather than selecting any options.

EDIT: I also seem to be unable to target ANYTHING that isnt a ship via the target selection buttons. This includes being unable to target station sections, meaning scanning is out of the question.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 02:49

An update: If you play with the HMD removed, the dock and station icon targetting and functionality can be access via the mouse, just as in normal XR.

Likewise the quick menu functions normally with mouse input when HMD is removed.

The problem here, of course, is that if you are using the HMD the mouse cursor is hidden. Yet it's use seems to still be expected.

As suggested elsewhere, perhaps the HMD pip should be used as the mouse cursor when in use? We would need a way to bind a 'click' action of course.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

Franc Kaos

Post by Franc Kaos » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 05:22

One other point, the targeting options need some work. At one point I thought maybe because you can't physically untarget anything, it was stopping the UI from targetting the station icons / NPCs automatically.

Until I googled it I thought maybe 'next surface element' might be for targeting station stuff, but apparently is for targeting specific points on an enemy ship.

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 16:19

An unlock is indeed missing; which is sometimes a pain if you need to fire at subtargets on a ship.

You sometimes end up firing next to what you're aiming at - there is an option to 'fire at cursor' when Aim assist is on. This might help when firing at a pinpointed location on the XL/L ships even when unlock is not an option.

As with flight assist, I feel that Aim assist should get its shortcut button as well.

Back to the topic at hand, I don't know what version of XRVR I have now; but the GUI issue is still very real.

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 16:24

Salnas wrote: As suggested elsewhere, perhaps the HMD pip should be used as the mouse cursor when in use? We would need a way to bind a 'click' action of course.
JoyToKey works wonders with this.:)

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 17:23

dertien wrote:
Salnas wrote: As suggested elsewhere, perhaps the HMD pip should be used as the mouse cursor when in use? We would need a way to bind a 'click' action of course.
JoyToKey works wonders with this.:)
If they were going to give us an HMD cursor for interacting, why would they go half-hog and require one to use an external application for clicks and such?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 17:48

Salnas wrote: If they were going to give us an HMD cursor for interacting, why would they go half-hog and require one to use an external application for clicks and such?
At the moment one cannot bind the same shortcuts from different menus to the same shortcuts.

For example:

On the keyboard, both the Dialog Menu option 1 and the Abilities option 1 is bound to "1" on a qwerty or "&" on an azerty keyboard.

However assigning both the same hotas button to the 1 key in different menus is not possible in X-Rebirth - it can momentarily only be done by using JoyToKey or Voiceattack to bind a keyboard key to a joystick button.

I do understand and completely agree with your point of view, but thinking out of the box never hurts. :)

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 17:56

Unfortunately there is no mouse cursor in VR, and the HMD cursor does not have that functionality. So for the moment such out of the box solutions are moot.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 18:01

Salnas wrote:Unfortunately there is no mouse cursor in VR, and the HMD cursor does not have that functionality. So for the moment such out of the box solutions are moot.
For the HMD cursor, I can't but agree; besides EGO might stick to their green laser pointer on the VIVE/Oculus controllers instead of the more natural HMD pointer you and I propose, as they don't necessarily share our point of view...

The Quickmenu/Ability menu and Legacy menus can be selected using keyboard shortcuts however, but without 3rd party software controls cannot be set properly within the game engine at current.

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 20:40

Well if they are going to continue to offer the ability to use joysticks and controllers, then we will need a way to do mouse-only functions without the hand controllers.

As it is now, when using a joystick, there is no way to target docking locations, trade locations, station segments, or highway markers. All of those require the mouse or motion controller pointer to target. In the case of docking positions, this means you cannot dock. In the case of station segments, it means you cannot scan. In the case of trade positions, it means that commodity buy/sell listings do not update.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 20:55

Hm not sure what you mean here since...

Docking locations can be selected by pointing the HMD pointer when flying close to them. The icon changes from a CR to a >CR< with two arrows pointing inwards. That is the cue to push your dock button shortcut and you will dock and spawn in the hangar or on a platform.

Station scan mode works also:

Switch on station scanner and fly to the "i" points you find on the stations. Target one such "i" with the HMD pointer and if in range the station's 3d model color while the scanner is active (cyan hud outline) will switch from white (unscanned) to its scanned color - Blue or Green or Orange etc... you've just scanned that station part.

Ship scan mode:

Switch on ship scanner, target vessel with HMD pointer then target it (with the bound target key), come close, hit the interaction menu button and a scan option will show blue if you are in range. Keep your nose pointed at the target and wait till the green circle goes from full circle to nil. If illegal goods are onboard, you can ask the NPC via the comms menu keyboard "c" to drop his loot, and you can pick it up.

Same with missions and trades, find the icon, point the HMD to it and it will be added to your Bulletin board or trades menu.

Not sure why this doesn't work on your setup.

Make sure that your game window is the active window when set in borderless or windowed mode. I have mine set to Fullscreen.

Franc Kaos

Post by Franc Kaos » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 22:26

Docking locations can be selected by pointing the HMD pointer when flying close to them. The icon changes from a CR to a >CR< with two arrows pointing inwards. That is the cue to push your dock button shortcut and you will dock and spawn in the hangar or on a platform.
Except it doesn't change, and that's with full screen, and the docking button does nothing. Weird thing, if I'm on the platform, pressing the dock button anywhere immediately puts me back in the pilots seat. Since the update it's completely broken for me, including initiating dialogue with NPCs and selecting boxes.

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 22:33

Franc Kaos wrote: Except it doesn't change, and that's with full screen, and the docking button does nothing. Weird thing, if I'm on the platform, pressing the dock button anywhere immediately puts me back in the pilots seat. Since the update it's completely broken for me, including initiating dialogue with NPCs and selecting boxes.
It's sad to see that apparently I'm the only whose game seems to work like it did before the update of HF1.

Pressing the dock-key-shortcut and being spawned back into the cockpit is normal and intended. Worked the same in Vanilla.

Also, I have my mouse set to constrain to window on.

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”