The 'sail' on the Terran carrier

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

How do you like the new sail on the Terran carrier (as seen in trailer)

I love it!
22%
I like it
13%
I'm OK with it, don't care
18%
I don't like it
32%
I hate it!
15%

Total votes: 211

abisha1980
x4

Re: The 'sail' on the Terran carrier

Post by abisha1980 » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 18:58

MSterling wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 18:34
Looks fine. Aesthetics still matter in fiction. Star Wars isn't pooh pooh'd because there are wings on the X Wing fighter, Battlestar Galactica's craft being streamlined isn't a turn off. However, pirate clans would totally go for the view, for the same reason they flew the skull and crossbones: to say "Hold up, if you're lucky, you'll just be robbed today".
As for the terran fighter wings, two things. First, the Elite has its wings swivel, but no air to push against makes this "nonsense". So "clearly" there must be something happening. E.g. the inertial fields could be turned to make gravity be "down from the wings", meaning you can vector gravity thrust by turning the physical housing. Maybe. Headcanon it if you like, but do so here to: the wings could be where the thrusters allow faster turning by extending the torque of the wingtip thrusters. Secondly, there is no need for the LRX on the wings, those are for reducing vortex shedding that causes drag in atmosphere, not a thing in space. Unless the inertial dampening makes space act like a fluid, causing gravitational waves to vortex shed around the edges of such fields.
Suggest your own explanation.
Maybe it will be put in the Encyclopedia, if it fits with what the company staff have in mind for the lore.
i read this a lot and i feel the need to correct it.
"shape really matters" even in space, Space might look empty but the fact is it's still have geometry that means a shape of a object determine if space stretched or expand (consider a ship moves) it have energy (E) is basicly mass that means the faster a ship go's the more the geometry get effected. the more a spaceship experience stress

so yea wing's on spaceships *not so much* forward ball shapes hell yea.
Retail investor, η+18,9% 2022 (η+7.1% 2023) (η+0,74 2024) 95% in bonds.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

hargn
x4

Post by hargn » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 20:09

I fixed the ship!

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 21:06

Those are some leviathan sized Boron :o

MFG

Ketraar

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 01:13

Ketraar wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 21:06

MFG

Ketraar
From the fossil record...

Megalaboron
Hydroboro Rex
Borasaurus
Plesioboron

And of course the unforgettable Bososaurota. It roamed the oceans of Nishala using a sonar to “scan” the density of rocks. The reason for this behaviour continues to generate much debate in academic circles.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 01:45

Y-llian wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 01:13
Megalaboron
Dont make me make the model for that... :twisted:

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 02:00

Y-llian wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 01:13
Ketraar wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 21:06

MFG

Ketraar
From the fossil record...

Megalaboron
Hydroboro Rex
Borasaurus
Plesioboron

And of course the unforgettable Bososaurota. It roamed the oceans of Nishala using a sonar to “scan” the density of rocks. The reason for this behaviour continues to generate much debate in academic circles.
:rofl:

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

zakaluka

Post by zakaluka » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 02:51

What bothers me about this thing isn't the sail, it's that the center of mass does not lie along the thrust vector unless ballast was packed in starboard. The thing would corkscrew to port if you fired the main engines, unless there is extra mass loaded in starboard, or unless there is some serious extra power going to vectoring thrusters just to keep the thing pointed straight.

I know "but it's a game" - my engineer self can't suspend disbelief looking at it.

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 09:42

I have seen crap design for space ships but this is a new low. Especially for a veteran like egosoft.

Glad I didn't preorder this

Tyr Erddrache
x4

Post by Tyr Erddrache » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 09:47

Maybe the sail is part of a weapon that is needed to charge or cool it. Maybe for a huge EMP bomb that destroys all shields.
Or disables the Xenon
CPU I9 10850K
Graka MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 Super
32 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4 RAM
Win 11 64 bit

Wraithsz
x4

Post by Wraithsz » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 11:56

Warnoise wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 09:42
I have seen crap design for space ships but this is a new low. Especially for a veteran like egosoft.

Glad I didn't preorder this
One ship design you didn't like and you decided not to preorder?
:rofl:
Your lost all those other ships look amazing and until I can see what that Aux ship looks like up close I wouldn't really care.

Bastelfred
x4

Post by Bastelfred » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 12:16

zakaluka wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 02:51
What bothers me about this thing isn't the sail, it's that the center of mass does not lie along the thrust vector unless ballast was packed in starboard. The thing would corkscrew to port if you fired the main engines, unless there is extra mass loaded in starboard, or unless there is some serious extra power going to vectoring thrusters just to keep the thing pointed straight.

I know "but it's a game" - my engineer self can't suspend disbelief looking at it.
But this statement is without the knowledge about the inner structure. If a large mass rotates clockwise inside the Habitat Disk to generate gravity, then you have the necessary counterimpulse. Then this must be balanced then only depending upon thrust more or less.

But once you look that closely... the Nova is a death trap. The engines are angled so strongly with thrust that it would turn so fast that the complete organic content would form a new wallpaper in the cockpit as a thin layer.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 12:25

This is X4, not Kerbal Space Program.

Horus Lupercal
x3ap

Post by Horus Lupercal » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 12:36

I got a very unlikely theory.
What if the sail is a feature all terran L ships have, which is a deployable solar panel used to generate energy cells to fuel their jumpdrives, also unique to terran ships?

Bastelfred
x4

Post by Bastelfred » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 12:43

Horus Lupercal wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 12:36
What if the sail is a feature all terran L ships have, which is a deployable solar panel used to generate energy cells to fuel their jumpdrives, also unique to terran ships?
This does not work according to X Lore, you need jump cells. To produce them you need antimatter and a big factory.

Fulgrymm
x4

Post by Fulgrymm » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 13:35

Bastelfred wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 12:43
This does not work according to X Lore, you need jump cells. To produce them you need antimatter and a big factory.
Which X lore? They've always used basic Energy Cells in all the X games I've played.

Bastelfred
x4

Post by Bastelfred » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 13:55

Fulgrymm wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 13:35
Which X lore? They've always used basic Energy Cells in all the X games I've played.
Too bad for you, you didn't play the X with the best ambiance.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 14:14

Horus Lupercal wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 12:36
Well, there is this Egosoft Discord leak info (behind spoiler warning) from Afro Luigi@Steam. Don't know what to make out of that. :?

I guess we need that timemachine. Badly.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 14:30

Spoiler
Show
So it is a terran auxillery as seen from preview vids. I was convinced it would be a special or only yaki

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 14:57

Having seen it on Werits preview video I have to say I don't like it that much anymore 😅 I love the general idea but I also think it sticks out way too much from the base ship design.
Last edited by Tamina on Thu, 4. Mar 21, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

MSterling
x4

Post by MSterling » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 14:58

abisha1980 wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 18:58
MSterling wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 18:34
Looks fine. Aesthetics still matter in fiction. Star Wars isn't pooh pooh'd because there are wings on the X Wing fighter, Battlestar Galactica's craft being streamlined isn't a turn off. However, pirate clans would totally go for the view, for the same reason they flew the skull and crossbones: to say "Hold up, if you're lucky, you'll just be robbed today".
As for the terran fighter wings, two things. First, the Elite has its wings swivel, but no air to push against makes this "nonsense". So "clearly" there must be something happening. E.g. the inertial fields could be turned to make gravity be "down from the wings", meaning you can vector gravity thrust by turning the physical housing. Maybe. Headcanon it if you like, but do so here to: the wings could be where the thrusters allow faster turning by extending the torque of the wingtip thrusters. Secondly, there is no need for the LRX on the wings, those are for reducing vortex shedding that causes drag in atmosphere, not a thing in space. Unless the inertial dampening makes space act like a fluid, causing gravitational waves to vortex shed around the edges of such fields.
Suggest your own explanation.
Maybe it will be put in the Encyclopedia, if it fits with what the company staff have in mind for the lore.
i read this a lot and i feel the need to correct it.
"shape really matters" even in space,
No, the CoM and the thrust vector matters.
Space might look empty but the fact is it's still have geometry that means a shape of a object determine if space stretched or expand (consider a ship moves) it have energy (E) is basicly mass that means the faster a ship go's the more the geometry get effected. the more a spaceship experience stress
If you're talking about the GR metric tensor, then no. The energy part is negligible at non relativistic speeds. If you aren't, then you're not talking about science, therefore making up a story not to fit the observed facts but to support the facts should be changed so we can't observe them.

Return to “X4: Foundations”