Things that we want and don't want from X3 in X4

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

-Dna-
x4

Post by -Dna- » Sat, 16. Sep 17, 13:48

Crimsonraziel wrote:
CorruptUser wrote: What I don't want:
[...]
3) Spacesuits with holes for cleavage
Indeed. Space-bikinis are the superior choice.
More skin = higher level = more defense points, so a space bikini will be the ultimate space suit :D
Remember: Good things don't come to an end: good things just stop. ~ [cit. Sean "Day[9]" Plott]

:xenon: Xenon Love! \#/ :xenon:
:split: Grill the Borons! :split:
:pirat: Real pirates (ab)use Jumpdrive (and Rum) :pirat:

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sat, 16. Sep 17, 15:48

CorruptUser wrote:What I want:
1) Game to run smoothly on an above average computer
2) Ability to turn off more power intensive features if they cause problems regardless *cough*damned-XR-Fog*cough*
3) Missions with multiple solutions. XR gave us the opportunity to take a bribe in exchange for not killing a target, could expand on this.
4) More fleshed out missions. If we are going to walk around stations, give us missions actually involving this beyond "go to point x, go to point y"
5) An actual reason to have a giant fleet, late game, if we choose
6) Simple description of weapons and ships in the name. Very easy to do, e.g., "M3 Nova" instead of "Nova", or "Swarm: Wasp Missile".

What I don't want:
1) Pirates, Xenon, Khaak, etc, spawning out of thin space; everything should have to be built somewhere. Pirate ships being built, cheaply, at less reputable border stations. Or, perhaps, faction ships just "rebel" randomly.
2) That stupid talking (and hacking) minigame from XR
3) Spacesuits with holes for cleavage

Pirate ships don;t have the be built.... just "borrowed". That means pirate boarding ops, no more shoot things until they explode and pick up some scrap afterwards.

spacesuits, BTW, don't need holes for cleavage no. They need to be skintight though :-)

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Sat, 16. Sep 17, 16:36

gbjbaanb wrote:spacesuits, BTW, don't need holes for cleavage no. They need to be skintight though :-)
Yes they do, and for very real reasons as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_Co ... on_Garment

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sat, 16. Sep 17, 23:32

CorruptUser wrote: 3) Spacesuits with holes for cleavage
This is reason why my girlfriend calls XR the boob window :D
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sun, 17. Sep 17, 01:01

I don't want space represented as rectangular prisms.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

YOYOMAN_MODDER
x4

Post by YOYOMAN_MODDER » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 16:37

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:I don't want space represented as rectangular prisms.
its spherical space)

mtiffany71
x3tc

Post by mtiffany71 » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 19:35

What I'd like: Full keyboard support and the ability to turn off and bypass completely those ridiculous radial menus. Another controller-centric UI is a deal breaker.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 20:24

mtiffany71 wrote:What I'd like: Full keyboard support and the ability to turn off and bypass completely those ridiculous radial menus. Another controller-centric UI is a deal breaker.
Agreed - I don't mind the radial menus being present *so long as they can be bypassed and their functions can be fully accessed by hotkeys* At present, let's take station building as an example: one can summon up the radial menu (of ONE ENTRY! FFS...) with the 'interact' hotkey when the build-location is selected, but the "build" option I can't find any way to accomplish with a keystroke - so, mouse to that little box and click on it, and from then on key-only-based interaction is once again possible - but I think it ought to be possible throughout, without interruption.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 20:57

Another thing that all titles need is some RTS controls. This would be useful later in game when we have to build large empires. Giving order ship by ships is just a lots of work and time consuming. I like somewhat what XR did with check boxes in property menu but I also want to see something where we can select multiple ships and give them orders from the map.
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 21:09

mtiffany71 wrote:What I'd like: Full keyboard support and the ability to turn off and bypass completely those ridiculous radial menus. Another controller-centric UI is a deal breaker.
From the Q&A thread:
Will we be able to control ships directly via mouse?
The game is designed with mouse and keyboard being the primary controls in mind.
Nikola515 wrote:Another thing that all titles need is some RTS controls. This would be useful later in game when we have to build large empires. Giving order ship by ships is just a lots of work and time consuming. I like somewhat what XR did with check boxes in property menu but I also want to see something where we can select multiple ships and give them orders from the map.
From the Q&A thread:
Can you select multiple objects in the new map e.g. a group of ships either to order or attack?
Yes, you will be able to select multiple ships by drawing a box around them using your mouse cursor.

Can I play in X4 like RTS?
The new powerful map system allows you to manage many tasks over the map directly, which allows for an RTS-like interface.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

valos
x4

Post by valos » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 21:44

I don't like:
-Equipment docks/trading stations small storage. (like Nikola515)
-The rank in game of x3 are broken since xenon became magically more powerful and not biologique race, so universe can't survive without your help (boring when you want explore or trade, its also break immersion)
-HUB like mission when you need to rebuid the half of universe économie (boring bla bla bla, it's also break immersion)
and the worse it's every one acte like its basique sheet
-NPC can't survive or live without player in général.
-Bump explosions. Every time AI gets retarded my ships gets destroyed (like Nikola515)
-in Xrebirth people always speak about doing thing its not implemented on the game (clean mine field in devrie, rebuild devrie station, do war against plutark and conquer secteur for heart of albion...)
- Pirates, Xenon, Khaak, etc, spawning out of thin space; everything should have to be built somewhere. Pirate ships being built, cheaply, at less reputable border stations. Or, perhaps, faction ships just "rebel" randomly. (like CorruptUser )
-you need to looting thing in station like savage in Xrebirth.

I like to have:
-Capacity of select a station (don't are in Xrebird)
-The jump drive (don't like to see for hour my ship travel zone i already know )
-Have crew repaire equipment rigth in place of by destroy.
-Have cockpit and can walk in the ship.
-Design my own complexe.
-Can doing script in game for automated thing, like give name to ship or borring repetitive task.
-pass the dialogue you hear for the thousand time.
l'organisation est la base de tout succès
dual boot (64bit): mageia 3/win 7
16,0 Go DDR4 Canal-Double en 14-14-14-35;
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (3.2 ghz); RX480 8Gb

Kitty
x3tc

Post by Kitty » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 22:44

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
From the Q&A thread:
Will we be able to control ships directly via mouse?
The game is designed with mouse and keyboard being the primary controls in mind.
Nikola515 wrote:Another thing that all titles need is some RTS controls. This would be useful later in game when we have to build large empires. Giving order ship by ships is just a lots of work and time consuming. I like somewhat what XR did with check boxes in property menu but I also want to see something where we can select multiple ships and give them orders from the map.
From the Q&A thread:
Can you select multiple objects in the new map e.g. a group of ships either to order or attack?
Yes, you will be able to select multiple ships by drawing a box around them using your mouse cursor.

Can I play in X4 like RTS?
The new powerful map system allows you to manage many tasks over the map directly, which allows for an RTS-like interface.
CBJ wrote:Will X4 support Hotas (Saitek Rhino for example)? Can use of a mouse be avoided entirely if so desired?
I can't commit to explicit support for a specific joystick, but in general we are aware that people would like us to provide default profiles for HOTAS setups. You should be able to do most things without a mouse, but I can't promise it will never be needed.
Well. We will never insist enough on it, anyway. We want an X game, not a FreeLancer. :P

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 01:00

Thanks X2-Illuminatus I missed this one ;) I hope they show us more of UI in next stream....

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 06:46

Here's something common to X2, the X3s, and Rebirth, which I do NOT want to see again: idiotic "allies" who can't grasp the concept that their friend (ie. the player) is busy CAPTURING that vessel, ie. both arresting/executing the criminal or enemy crew, AND gaining an asset, which indirectly benefits any of his/her allies - and so should leave that ship the hell alone.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 07:23

RAVEN.myst wrote:Here's something common to X2, the X3s, and Rebirth, which I do NOT want to see again: idiotic "allies" who can't grasp the concept that their friend (ie. the player) is busy CAPTURING that vessel, ie. both arresting/executing the criminal or enemy crew, AND gaining an asset, which indirectly benefits any of his/her allies - and so should leave that ship the hell alone.
Fully seconded!
Rainer

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 19:37

CBJ wrote:
lostProfitssssArrgh wrote:It also makes me wonder how much of the supporting OS' features can be inherited by a game...
In this particular instance, none. These are not windows in the sense that Windows understands them.
CBJ wrote:They can't be, for several reasons.
This is the reason why people hated the mini-monitors in X3:Reunion (something we don't want in X4). Why not use windows in the sense that Windows understands them? Is it a limitation of Windows like not being able to use full screen & windowed mode simultaneously?
This is only a virtual reality.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 20:05

patient zero wrote:This is the reason why people hated the mini-monitors in X3:Reunion (something we don't want in X4)
Who's "we"?? I, for one, certainly want those back! In the X3s I use those all the time (less so in X2 because they take up so much space relative to the main view.)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 21:08

UUUGGGGG! the thing I hated most from X3 is making to X4 (unless there is a open play start)

I hate when things (important things that open up more game play) get locked behind a plot..I know you think its fun telling me to do tedious things that I don't want to do, to get PHQ...this is number one reason I don't play X games like I did in Xtension.

Let me play the game doing what I want to do and then let that time playing, open up things like PHQ's.....Please

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 21:52

thrangar wrote:...
Let me play the game doing what I want to do and then let that time playing, open up things like PHQ's.....Please
I have to completely disagree. I don't think major game items like the PHQ should simply be given to the player. They should have to work for it, hence the 'plot'. I think that's entirely reasonable and proper. If a player didn't want to do the plot to get the PHQ, they always had the option of scripting it in whenever they wished.

Also, not letting the player have something until a certain amount of time goes by is more restrictive, since the player has no control over it and it makes the game too linear. With a plot, the player can complete it when they wish and thus obtain the reward. I admit that TC forcing the player to do the Hub plot first was bad design, but AP did it right. That's the model that should be followed, IMO.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Thu, 28. Sep 17, 00:58

Nanook wrote:I have to completely disagree. I don't think major game items like the PHQ should simply be given to the player. They should have to work for it, hence the 'plot'.
Saying it like this would suggest that trading and fighting in the framework of the game to achieve status and money is not 'work' or not worth a damn compared to appeasing some random fart? If you are powerfull enough (money and status), why should this random fart prevent you from establishing/building a special HQ for your cooperation.

In XTC mod we made shipyards available to the player, and propably the HQ as well (can't remember). SY's cost upwards of 200mil. The difference here was that compared to X3 TC and AP, reputation and money wasn't inflationary thrown at you at every corner - it took quite the efford to earn enough reputation and money to even purchase an M6 (unless you adjusted the difficulty to ridiculously easy). Especially reputation was a real challenge and took patience. After my 50h game (savegame time) i just started, i can just barely buy M7 (from notoriety and money standpoint). And that despite going for a "high reward" playstile (aka piracy).
So in this framework, getting to the HQ economically is a very involved process and requires a lot of time playing the game. Beeing able to finally purchase it and other 'end game' goodies is a big reward and challenge. Whereas in X3 TC you would have to just do 4-5 station building missions to get there - which is why they had to lock it behind some random farts menial tasks - otherwise you would be boasting all the 'endgame' toys by 15h game time.

So no, i too reject the notion that a plot should be obligatory to achieve 'special' goodies intended for the player. However, i say that an optional plot could potentially allow you to get you things a little bit faster (stressing little) than you would otherwise - leaving the option to not do the plot, but also to do it and get it with less work in the money/reputation department - a discount if you will.
since the player has no control over it and it makes the game too linear.
I do not think he meant time literally as countdown, but as result of monetary/reputation obstacle that just requires time to overcome. And you certainly have influence on how much money and reputation you make. I mean, that's half (or more) of what the game is about after all.
Last edited by Killjaeden on Fri, 29. Sep 17, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Return to “X4: Foundations”