X-TRA POLLS Round #4 | Which is your favourite race of the playable races?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Which is your favourite race of the playable races?

Poll ended at Wed, 15. May 24, 13:27

Argon
13%
Boron
20%
Teladi
9%
Paranid
6%
Split
14%
Terran
32%
Pirate (factions from Tides of Avarice)
5%

Total votes: 238

Thomas2052
x4

Re: X-TRA POLLS Round #4 | Which is your favourite race of the playable races?

Post by Thomas2052 » Sun, 5. May 24, 15:28

I voted Boron.

Their ridiculous, formal, over-the-top manner of speaking is hilarious - I enjoy the Boron during one mission who makes a point of not using such speech.

"This Boron won't take that swimming sideways!"

Their aesthetic and weapon design is really well done to keep them on theme.

Others are also well done, but as I am one of those players who tries to identify with their character, I find it hard to go along with their ideologies - warmongering slavers, xenophobic zealots, avaricious opportunists etc.

I felt the Argon a little underdeveloped this time around - previously, they'd been sort of plucky underdogs, in X4 they seem to be just the baseline, a neutral measure against which to hold everyone else.
Older. Not wiser.

Harrison_rus
x4

Post by Harrison_rus » Mon, 6. May 24, 10:23

I vote for Teladi.

Because I just like how this lizards looks :D

3punkt1415

Post by 3punkt1415 » Mon, 6. May 24, 12:18

Really i think they all have their good place in this Universe, i voted for Teladi, they are kind of most iconic, but Borons do have nice looking ships.
Will we see any more races in the game that is missing?

Treycore

Post by Treycore » Mon, 6. May 24, 12:27

The pirate starts and VIG/RIP in general give me that real “start with nothing” vibe that I enjoy for starting any new game

The ship designs really fit them, the look of scrap and some duct tape to hold it all together, really wish they were fleshed out a bit more and the gannuscus was given a more scrappy model to fit the theme

I typically start in VIG/RIP space but always end up migrating to boron space

Utsuho Reiuji
x4

Post by Utsuho Reiuji » Mon, 6. May 24, 12:50

Such a tough choice...

I voted for Boron thanks to their awesome character models, personality traits, ship models and thematic music.

Story wise, I think Stranded is the best start. Too bad the story just falls short with its ending and nothing coming afterwards.

The Terrans have an expensive yet very simple economy and probably the best ships overall. Also, the Yaki plot is one of the coolest the game has to offer.

The Split are imho the funniest race ever. Their ship designs are also the coolest.

I haven't played Paranid, Teladi or Argon, yet.

Joefesok
x4

Post by Joefesok » Mon, 6. May 24, 18:13

Technically they're not playable, but if you only go by player models and include custom game starts, I like the Yaki models the best.

In terms of gamestarts though? The terrans are easily my two favorites.

SparvieroGed
x4

Post by SparvieroGed » Mon, 6. May 24, 22:10

It's a tough choice because depending on my mood, I may prefer one race over another. Perhaps only the Paranaid have never won me over.

My vote goes to the ARGON.

When I was younger, I always leaned towards alien races, both in fantasy and science fiction. However, as the years go by, I feel more connected to human factions.
And between Terrans and Argon, the choice isn't that difficult. The former have nicer ships and stations, but that means nothing to me: in the future, we might see improvements for the latter, maybe even in patch 7.0 from what I've read.
What's important to me is that the Argon are cosmopolitan citizens of the democratic galaxy, while the Terrans seem like too much of a bunch of crazed paramilitary isolationists.

I want to believe that the poll results would have been very different if Argon ships had been cooler.

knord
x4

Post by knord » Mon, 6. May 24, 22:51

I chose Split but that is mostly the design.
Each time I do a new run I think of a theme and then decide what race and design I want to do.

Markkos_ua
x4

Post by Markkos_ua » Tue, 7. May 24, 08:53

Argon. Always Argon for me. Even despite their heinous ship design this time around.
My first X game was X3 Reunion, and I was caught by their story very much.
Terrans, Xenon, Kha`ak, Split or Paranid - Federation will survive them all. Argon Prime thrives in every single of my playthroughs.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 7. May 24, 09:09

Except for Paranids, they creep me out, I like all races but I voted for plain old boring Argon. Argons have this perfect feel of powerful, yet struggling for their place in universe.

That makes them more interesting than Terrans. And I can identify more with humans than anything else.

I also like their looks from stations to ships to NPCs.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Aetatis
x4

Post by Aetatis » Tue, 7. May 24, 15:37

i can't decide really. many species have aspects that i enjoy a lot.

boron for their culture and values.

split for their ship design (mostly the looks and the potential speed of their ships) - with boron being a close 2nd if not sharing the same spot.

paranid for their ship layouts (number of shields/weapons, base speed etc). they feel the most balanced to me.

terrans, the simplistic economy, the strong shields and combat engines (additonally L/XL Engines)

teladi for being lizards

alexthespaniard

Post by alexthespaniard » Wed, 8. May 24, 10:43

It's an interesting question, but of course, it depends on how you frame it. The most complete factions are the Split and the Terrans, so it's easier for me to choose them. Aesthetically and conceptually, the races I like the most are the Teladi and the Argon, but I consider them to be quite incomplete. They lack more types of ships of size L and XL, and as I mentioned before, a variety of cannon and turret layouts; most ships attack head-on.

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Thu, 9. May 24, 00:15

I am a little surprised that halfway through the poll, Argon trails both Boron and Split. I assumed more players would identify as a human. Reading the replies I can more clearly understand why people are voting for Boron, and I had guessed that Split votes were mostly for ship design.
Terran for me since I identify as one. :D Plus, they have nice ships.
But whatever your choice, the fact that there are so many diverse player characters is a big part of what makes this game great.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 9. May 24, 02:17

Argon is the "standard" faction, aka the boring choice. At least that is why I think they fall behind. Worse than split is indeed surprising for my taste but as you perfectly said: This is what makes X4 so great. :D

I am more surprised with Pirates. I really like the Tides of Avarice factions (honorable mention also to Yaki) and I like to think they fall so much behind because they are an overall good faction but just never the best.
I totally love their ship designs, and I would totally love to play as pirate, if the gameplay was more fleshed out.

And even though the Paranids are my least favourite, they are my most favourite non-Xenon enemy. At least after I bought all blueprints :P
As someone once said: If you hate a person in a movie, it just means that the actor and writers did a great job.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Thu, 9. May 24, 15:30

Tamina wrote:
Thu, 9. May 24, 02:17
Argon is the "standard" faction, aka the boring choice. At least that is why I think they fall behind. Worse than split is indeed surprising for my taste but as you perfectly said: This is what makes X4 so great. :D
Its very odd to me because I've always seen the terrans as the boring choice, I dont think I would EVER play as a Terran. They have the OP ships too and I've never wanted to use the best - because I find that boring, especially in a game that is already incredibly easy. I prefer the Argon over the Terrans by a very wide margin.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 10. May 24, 00:07

Argon or Terran, usually terran. Anything that gets me closer to my homeplanet, although I prefer the Argon start cos it feels more free, but terran women look better. :P

I've never been into playing another `species` in any game unless no choice, even in the Elder scrolls games always a human... I think I tried Khajitt once a looooong time ago, probably because I have a cat. Never again.

I'm human, so I play human.
1. Please do more on NPC civilian/uniform variety, and bio customisations, Devs.
2. Stations need sirens when enemy is close in numbers.
Yes, for immersion. Thankyou ahead of time.

"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Fri, 10. May 24, 06:38

Usually I prefer independent non-major factions. Currently VIG, YAK and ALI are my favourite factions. I really like the VIG clothing style. Furthermore, scrap recycling and the safety in their sectors fit my playstyle.

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Fri, 10. May 24, 14:58

I''m thinking I am having to vote Teladi simply because of my consistant haulage focused playthroughs.
Although I enjoy the Paranid alot, and the Split Speak is succinct, with both races having good ships.

It's Argon for representing Humanity in Space.

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Fri, 10. May 24, 21:43

Ormac wrote:
Fri, 10. May 24, 14:58
It's Argon for representing Humanity in Space.
pretty sure Terrans put you on a watch list for that
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Fri, 10. May 24, 23:04

Pirate
They look so 😎 cool

Return to “X4: Foundations”