Giant Xenon ship right in the base!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Socratatus
x4

Giant Xenon ship right in the base!

Post by Socratatus » Sat, 4. May 24, 16:26

It's been bugging me how there's no sirens on stations when there's a real enemy presence nearby...

Well a case in point happened just now. I've landed at base. there's quite a close Xenon Station nearby so lots of fighting every now and then. Good, if dangerous scavenging for me!

So after selling stuff, came back to my ship to find a huge Xenon ship literally making its way through the Station bay shooting at any ship it sees.

It's a cool sight, but why oh why no alarms or people running about in a panic? Surely this is where it should happen!!!

Also how do I get a screenshot, please? I can't use the Nivida thing and hitting the screenshot key does not seem to do it. I really want to show you guys this giant Xenon literally in the Station bay causing havoc! AI's getting smart it seems!
1. Please do more on NPC civilian/uniform variety, and bio customisations, Devs.
2. Stations need sirens when enemy is close in numbers.
Yes, for immersion. Thankyou ahead of time.

"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."

alt3rn1ty
x4

Re: Giant Xenon ship right in the base!

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sat, 4. May 24, 16:39

For the screenshot while in game press L Shift + L Alt + S
That should bring up Windows Snipping tool and you just use the mouse to left click (and hold) at the top left, then drag the rectangle to encompass the whole screen. That saves to the clip board memory, now alt + tab out of the game, load up something like Paint.Net (or even MS Paint) and press Ctrl + V to paste the screen into the paint software, then save it somewhere.

I have the game in Window Borderless mode and the above works fine.

You can also use Windows Game Bar, Windows Key + G. That also has a screen grab function which saves to your Documents\Videos\ (I think, it also saves any Game Bar mp4 videos you take to the same location).
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sat, 4. May 24, 16:56

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Sat, 4. May 24, 16:39
For the screenshot while in game press L Shift + L Alt + S
That should bring up Windows Snipping tool and you just use the mouse to left click (and hold) at the top left, then drag the rectangle to encompass the whole screen. That saves to the clip board memory, now alt + tab out of the game, load up something like Paint.Net (or even MS Paint) and press Ctrl + V to paste the screen into the paint software, then save it somewhere.

I have the game in Window Borderless mode and the above works fine.

You can also use Windows Game Bar, Windows Key + G. That also has a screen grab function which saves to your Documents\Videos\ (I think, it also saves any Game Bar mp4 videos you take to the same location).
Thanks, but I dunno what I'm doing wrong, but it just won't take. It takes my desktop background instead. It's just not working. I don't get it. I know I got it working about 6 months ago.
1. Please do more on NPC civilian/uniform variety, and bio customisations, Devs.

"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sat, 4. May 24, 17:19

Hmm, no clue. Those should work fine.
One thought is every man and his dog wants to give you Overlays these days, anything I install I always go into their settings and turn the overlays off because they can cause X4 problems as mentioned here viewtopic.php?f=180&t=420952
Steam client, GOG Galaxy, NVidia' Geforce Experience, other stuff I cant remember (maybe even the OEM of your machine has something installed which buggered up your Print Scrn key) .. They all have Overlays, as does Windows Game Bar, thats the only one I allow to be on so I can do mp4 videos occasionally.
:gruebel:
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sat, 4. May 24, 17:28

I hate overlays too. Could be GOG then. In the end I had to give in and install the Nvidia save pics things (I'll get rid of it later) to capture anything. I'll figure out what's going wrong later, but thankyou anyway.

https://imgur.com/JT5cq1K

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

https://i.imgur.com/JT5cq1K.png

https://i.imgur.com/M4Dr40w.png
Anyway, it eventually got destroyed.

Interestingly, on another Load (as I had to quit in and out a few times) it caused a lot of trouble then righted itself and shot back out into space.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sat, 4. May 24, 17:45

If you are using Steam, just F12 to take the screenshot.

But yeah, it's silly how everyone just stands around while a station is attacked.

https://youtu.be/orI4GMdkA-8?si=e59O-X8tZw3MclxW

A blast that destroys turrets, and nobody even flinches! Fatalism is really strong in the future.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sat, 4. May 24, 18:00

Zloth2 wrote:
Sat, 4. May 24, 17:45
If you are using Steam, just F12 to take the screenshot.

But yeah, it's silly how everyone just stands around while a station is attacked.

https://youtu.be/orI4GMdkA-8?si=e59O-X8tZw3MclxW

A blast that destroys turrets, and nobody even flinches! Fatalism is really strong in the future.
The thing is, it can't be that hard. I'm no coder, but I've learned that a reasonably intelligent man can extrapolate and make a logical suggestion without needing a certificate, especially these days. People who think you can't because you're not in that field or an expert are mistaken. So...

Add a sound-byte of alarms that are triggered every time a large enemy force enters close to a base. Not 1 or 2 little ships, but like a large enemy shp or multiples of them. This way you don't get alarms set off for civilian criminals or a couple of Xenon scout nearby. The alarms can be sporadic so it doesn't bother a Player's ears too much, although I'd like it continuous personally, but I know some people would complain about a continous loud wailing siren. It could even be optional if some really hate the sirens.

Definitely have alrms trigger if any Xenon get inside the bay shooting.

Then simply have every NPC on that station run around, eventually to indoors or into a ship until the base has no one above until danger over. Use the same run animation that NPCs have. Perhaps, if it's possible have the odd one cry out that "We're under attack!" "Watch out!"

There. Work on the rest later, maybe.

Just that would a huge amount of immersion for the User player on foot, especially when enemy ships get close and even inside.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sat, 4. May 24, 21:54

Socratatus wrote:
Sat, 4. May 24, 18:00
Then simply have every NPC on that station run around, eventually to indoors or into a ship until the base has no one above until danger over. Use the same run animation that NPCs have. Perhaps, if it's possible have the odd one cry out that "We're under attack!" "Watch out!"
I expect that's where you're going to run into serious trouble. Now you need a bunch of new animations for every race. And what about facial expressions? It will be pretty weird to have sirens going off and people running around - but everyone has their bored faces.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Sun, 5. May 24, 00:11

GOG's screenshot key is F12 too. It used to not work for me in the past, but it does now. If you're running the Nvidia overlay, (left) Alt F1 will also take a screenshot, which tends to be more reliable (it saves to the Videos folder, bizarrely).

The built in Windows screenshot functionality (snipping tool or print screen) have never worked for me with X4.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Sun, 5. May 24, 20:37

Well the attack on the base is heavy. I've been running around on foot taking photos while grabbing goodies from all the fighting. While on the ship bay watching a huge ship (maybe one of the new ones) slowly floating over shooting down. I blew up as the bay blew up- to my surpise! I was waiting for the flickering lights the beta 2 patch talked about- didn't see it.

And there's literally no alarm on the base.

Here's a pic, just before destruction as I was snapping pics.

https://imgur.com/1zpJ6FT

Ergoswot

Post by Ergoswot » Mon, 6. May 24, 06:32

Socratatus wrote:
Sat, 4. May 24, 16:26
It's been bugging me how there's no sirens on stations when there's a real enemy presence nearby...

Well a case in point happened just now. I've landed at base. there's quite a close Xenon Station nearby so lots of fighting every now and then. Good, if dangerous scavenging for me!

So after selling stuff, came back to my ship to find a huge Xenon ship literally making its way through the Station bay shooting at any ship it sees.

It's a cool sight, but why oh why no alarms or people running about in a panic? Surely this is where it should happen!!!

Also how do I get a screenshot, please? I can't use the Nivida thing and hitting the screenshot key does not seem to do it. I really want to show you guys this giant Xenon literally in the Station bay causing havoc! AI's getting smart it seems!
Agree, there should be at the minimum a "base is under attack" message that lets the player know and then you have the option to launch and defend the base and maybe even get a reward/reputation for helping. It would not on the surface at least, seem so hard to implement at least the warning aspect.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 6. May 24, 07:00

It's just more work, I guess. An alarm itself is easy enough to add, but people reacting to it need topical places on the station to go to, and animations to do when they get there. Even just standing around "panicking".
***modified***

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Mon, 6. May 24, 11:13

LameFox wrote:
Mon, 6. May 24, 07:00
It's just more work, I guess. An alarm itself is easy enough to add, but people reacting to it need topical places on the station to go to, and animations to do when they get there. Even just standing around "panicking".
WEll they could just add the alarms sound-byte to trigger then if running people to places is too much. These are just simple ideas, that I'm sure could be implemented in someway, if they have the manpower to. I'd do it for them, but I'm an artist not a coder. I know they've been busy on the Beta and I do appreciate their efforts.

Ergoswot

Post by Ergoswot » Mon, 6. May 24, 13:26

LameFox wrote:
Mon, 6. May 24, 07:00
Of course it's more work, but at the minimum the alarm should sound to alert the player of an attack on the space station they are in.

Return to “X4: Foundations”