[6.0 HF2, English, LAG] Consistent significant performance drop using a mouse while HUD enabled - Fix in a future build.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gergin
x4

[6.0 HF2, English, LAG] Consistent significant performance drop using a mouse while HUD enabled - Fix in a future build.

Post by Gergin » Mon, 24. Apr 23, 05:15

System Specifications:

CPU: Intel i7-12700KF
RAM: 32 GB, XMP at 3600 Mhz
GPU: ASUS GTX 3080 Ti
Mobo: ROG STRIX Z690-A
Operating System: Windows 11

DXDiag and VulkanInfo
DXDiag - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KfK6Nr ... share_link
VulkanInfo - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vPL7xw ... share_link

The issue described has actually been present since I put this computer together around February/March of last year and has persisted despite multiple attempts to resolve it. Some suggestions I've run across have helped with overall performance but I still experience consistent, random performance drops that effectively halves my FPS and will persist until I take corrective action.
This is a completely vanilla game other than using a custom logo.
The chosen game start and state of the universe appears to have absolutely no effect. The problem can occur with only a handful of sectors explored.
I have all DLC (Including Kingdom End) purchased and enabled.

Issue:

I consistently experience severe performance degradation that appears to be due to some issue with the HUD UI (context provided in replies).

When the issue occurs, I'll see my FPS go from
144 to 70-80 (open space)
90-120 to under 60 and sometimes even in the 40s (around stations)

Situations in which this occurs:
  • Engaging in combat (extremely common and most often occurs when combat first starts)
    Flying around stations (common)
    Flying through empty space (rare)
I am able to restore the performance to the expected level by taking corrective action as detailed below. This does not stop the issue from reoccurring. During combat, the issue happens so frequently that even taking corrective action, it will just keep triggering over and over.

When the problem happens, I see an overall DECREASE in my CPU/GPU utilization.
As a test, I engaged 2 Split Mambas and 1 Cobra and during good performance, my CPU utilization was around 23%. When the problem happened, this decreased to around 16%. If I took corrective action, the CPU utilization would jump back up.

Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrTYGbd3dm8) was recorded AFTER the issue occurred while flying through relatively empty space in Turquoise Sea. I did not engage in combat, nor approach a station. I was flying looking for a target to engage in combat when I noticed that my FPS dropped drastically. As you can see, I should be getting around 130+ but was stuck around 75. The instant, I get out of the pilot chair, the performance is restored.

In this longer video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_dxNYEBIqc) (The issue occurs around 3:00) I demonstrate that my performance is generally rock solid, staying consistently above 140 while flying around but as soon as combat starts, it nosedives to ~75 despite this being me just shooting at a distress drone in virtually empty space.

Corrective Action:

It seems like virtually ANY change of UI context almost instantly brings the performance back. Activities I've seen restore the performance include:

-Pausing the game with Escape key
-Opening the map and then closing it
-Getting out of the pilot seat
-Alt-tabbing out and back in
-Opening and closing the debug console

If one of these actions is NOT taken, the poor performance will persist, it never resolves itself. I sat "engaged" in combat with a mining vessel (combat music was playing but I was 10km from target) while the issue was happening and waited 5 minutes without the issue resolving.
As soon as I stood up from the pilot seat the issue cleared and I went from ~75 to 144 FPS.

Troubleshooting attempted:

-Clean reinstall of Windows
-Clean reinstall and verification of X4 files
-Reinstall various drivers (sound, video, motherboard)
-BIOS update
-Enable/Disable Hyperthreading
-Apply/Remove a CPU overclock
-Set core affinity to disallow X4 from using the E-Cores
-Graphical settings appear to have absolutely no effect as I've tried all sorts of combinations and while overall performance is affected as you would expect, I still see massive degradation when the issue happens.
Last edited by Gergin on Mon, 1. May 23, 21:27, edited 7 times in total.

Gergin
x4

Re: [6.0 HF1, English, LAG] Consistent Significant FPS Drops that can be instantly resolved

Post by Gergin » Wed, 26. Apr 23, 18:56

This issue has occurred on every "New Game" and appears to be completely independent of the specific save file but for the sake of thoroughness, save file is found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kqKO_E ... share_link

The issue can be reliably reproduced by engaging in combat with the Zyarth Patriarchy fighters directly in front of the player on load.

If I can provide any additional information or perform additional testing, I'm more than glad to assist.

jimmybobkins
x4

Re: [6.0 HF1, English, LAG] Consistent Significant FPS Drops that can be instantly resolved

Post by jimmybobkins » Wed, 26. Apr 23, 23:29

I have also intermittently noticed poor fps well below what my rig is capable of. For the most part im not too picky about fps and i generally ignore it, but In cases where it has become particularly insufferable in combat making it hard to track targets I end up exiting the game. Reopening it afterwards results in a buttery smooth fps at least for a few hours. My rig is about the same as OP's, just a generation older on each part with intel, nvidia asus across the board.

Gergin
x4

Post by Gergin » Thu, 27. Apr 23, 06:34

jimmybobkins wrote:
Wed, 26. Apr 23, 23:29
I have also intermittently noticed poor fps well below what my rig is capable of. For the most part im not too picky about fps and i generally ignore it, but In cases where it has become particularly insufferable in combat making it hard to track targets I end up exiting the game. Reopening it afterwards results in a buttery smooth fps at least for a few hours. My rig is about the same as OP's, just a generation older on each part with intel, nvidia asus across the board.
Sounds like a bit of a different issue. I can reproduce my performance hit more or less instantly after starting the game.

I actually just tested and confirmed that the problem affects the base game with no DLC enabled.
I disabled all DLC, restarted and then started the "Untested Explorer" game start. I never left the starting sector and accepted 1 mission to collect items from a lockbox. When I returned to the station to deliver the items, the issue triggered around the station. Standing up from the pilot seat saw my FPS jump from 80 to 144. I had been playing this brand new game start for less than 5 minutes.

Gergin
x4

Re: [6.0 HF1, English, LAG] Consistent Significant FPS Drops that can be resolved by forcing UI changes

Post by Gergin » Sun, 30. Apr 23, 20:56

Update:

I continued to try and track down what might be happening using the Debug console.

To reproduce the issue, I did the following:
  • Flew around the Split Wharf in Wretched Skies. No combat was involved, I just flew around the station until the performance dropped
  • Engaged in combat with 1-3 Split ships in Wretched skies.
The Debug Console was not displaying when the performance dropped.
After the performance dropped, I opened the Debug Console and confirmed that no events had been logged. However, when trying to close the Debug console, it flickers back up on screen and I receive the following error showing up in the Debug Log:
  • [gamestart: 130] - [Sun Apr 30 18:35:14 2023]: Error: C:/Steam/steamapps/common/X4 Foundations/(): (from presentation 'ui/widget/presentations/widget_fullscreen/widget_fullscreen.bgf') GetFramePosition(): invalid frame ID 10117 - frame might have been destroyed already.
When my performance is good, I can open and close the Debug Console without any issues or errors.
When my performance is bad, trying to close the console generates this error 100% of the time. Furthermore, after I receive the error and then close the console, my performance is restored.
The error is the same regardless of how the performance drop is reproduced.

I tried using the start paramter "-debug all -logfile debuglog.txt" and when viewing the file that was generated, I have only the following relevant entries (the frame ID is different because the Debug Console error and DebugLog error were captured in two different instances):

[General] 24024.22 ======================================
[=ERROR=] 24024.22 C:/Steam/steamapps/common/X4 Foundations/(): (from presentation 'ui/widget/presentations/widget_fullscreen/widget_fullscreen.bgf') GetFramePosition(): invalid frame ID 208 - frame might have been destroyed already.
[General] 24024.22 ======================================

Is there any other kind of debugging or logs I can help collect?
Given that changing the UI context (as explained in the initial post) is what restores the performance, this definitely appears to be some kind of issue with the UI code.
Finding a solution or workaround to this issue would make me extremely happy.

Gergin
x4

Re: [6.0 HF1, English, LAG] Consistent Significant FPS Drops that can be resolved by forcing UI changes

Post by Gergin » Sun, 30. Apr 23, 21:28

Seeing as how this appears to be related to the UI, I did the following tests:

Engaged in combat with the Radar set to High, Low and Off in Graphics Settings. Also tried setting the radar to Integrated, Separate Screen and Off in Game Settings.

I could reproduce the problem with any combination of settings.

Attempted to reproduce the problem by disabling the HUD entirely with Shift+H. I have NOT been able to reproduce the issue with the HUD disabled entirely. I engaged in combat both in open space and around a station for a couple of minutes each without the issue occurring while the HUD off. As soon as I turned the HUD back on, the issue occurred within 15 seconds in both situations.
However, if the issue occurs while the HUD is enabled, disabling the HUD or disabling and then enabling it doesn't restore the performance.

SimB
x4

Post by SimB » Mon, 1. May 23, 11:25

If I find the time today I will try the HUD test on my rig.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 1. May 23, 11:30

Just to reassure people that we're not ignoring this thread. There are some interesting findings here, which we will be investigating. I'd ask contributors to the thread to stick to the specific resolvable UI-related observations reported by the OP, and avoid derailing it with general performance reports.

Gergin
x4

Post by Gergin » Mon, 1. May 23, 20:34

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 1. May 23, 11:30
Just to reassure people that we're not ignoring this thread. There are some interesting findings here, which we will be investigating. I'd ask contributors to the thread to stick to the specific resolvable UI-related observations reported by the OP, and avoid derailing it with general performance reports.
Additional Testing has revealed the following conclusions.

The problem ONLY occurs when using a Mouse as your control method and only while the HUD is enabled. I can reproduce the issue reliably in less than 60 seconds (it usually takes less than 20 seconds) while at a dead stop and simply moving the mouse around to control my pitch and yaw. Drawing circles with your mouse is the best way to trigger the issue.
Using Mouse Control or Cursor mode doesn't matter, it happens in both modes.

I was able to reproduce the issue under the following conditions:
Using both super high and super low DPI settings on my mouse (Logitech G502 Hero)
With "Enhance pointer precision" enabled and disabled in Windows
With a completely different mouse (Basic Dell, exact model unknown)
After uninstalling Logitech GHub
After uninstalling all "Mice and other pointing devices" from Device Manager and rebooting my computer
Setting mouse Polling Rate to 1000, 500 or 125 Hz
Using the NonSteam version of the X4 executable
Language and VoiceLanguage settings make no difference. I reproduced with English and German for both.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem using any other control method as detailed below:

Keyboard only:

Single axis changes
  • Rolling back and forth
  • Yawing side to side
  • Pitching up and down
All combinations of rolls, pitches and yaws.
In over an hour of testing using only keyboard controls, I could not reproduce the problem.
I also tested setting the cursor to Mouse Control or Cursor mode while using the keyboard but it made no difference, the issue could not be reproduced.

Using an Xbox One gamepad, I could not reproduce the problem.

Using a mouse while the HUD is disabled, I cannot reproduce the problem.

I cannot think of any additional tests I could perform but please let me know if I can be of any assistance in tracking this issue down.

florianlt
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [6.0 HF2, English, LAG] Consistent significant performance drop from using a mouse while HUD is enabled

Post by florianlt » Wed, 3. May 23, 12:43

Fixed in an upcoming version. Good job on the detective work.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”