MODDERS: PLEASE post your mods on Steam also...

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

JasonX2000
x4

Re: MODDERS: PLEASE post your mods on Steam also...

Post by JasonX2000 » Sat, 16. May 20, 12:08

Thats just an excuse. It takes about less than 5 Minutes to download all mods i own, that are updated and copy them in the extension folder.

You get the mods for free, the modders are using hours for modding, and because of laziness you want them to put it on steam. Even saying a majority isn‘t going to use the mods. But thats totaly wrong, the majority that wants to use mods, is looking not only in the steam workshop.

If the work of hours of others, for your benefit is not worth the little amount of 5 minutes, then dont use mods.

And btw, with steam workshop i have no control if i want to update a mod. There where already two mods i did not like where there were going, on the Workshop i would have to live with this or at worst case begin a new game.

I prefer nexus over steam by far. It has enough QOL.
And in this forum i get the rest if i want.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Sat, 16. May 20, 13:54

JasonX2000 wrote:
Sat, 16. May 20, 12:08

You get the mods for free, the modders are using hours for modding,
ha!
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Sat, 16. May 20, 19:16

Malakie wrote:
Tue, 12. May 20, 03:15
I have too much going on in real life to deal with manual this and that all the time.
TBH I'm having a hard time reading this as anything but you placing your convenience and the value of your time above those who actually make the mods.

If someone wants to upload their stuff to steam, that's cool. If they don't, that's also cool.
Asking people to upload their work to your platform of choice, IN CAPS*, because you "don't have time" comes across as incredibly entitled.

Here's how my somewhat sarcastic counter-proposal is different: I asked for github repos so that I can file bug reports and contribute pull requests... Unlike some, apparently, I'm willing to put some time and effort of my own into the mods I like, rather than just moaning about it being too hard.

*considered shouting in most civilised communities.

leoriq
x3ap

Post by leoriq » Sun, 17. May 20, 10:54

Malakie wrote:
My point about putting it on Steam as well, is a simple one..
While I've thought positively of your original post, now I think that you are doing A Very Bad Thing.
You went from valid suggestion to false-reasoning and post-bumping.

Shame on you.
Signature yes signature a GIGANTIC SIGNATURE!!

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Sun, 17. May 20, 11:58

JasonX2000 wrote:
Thats just an excuse. It takes about less than 5 Minutes to download all mods i own, that are updated and copy them in the extension folder.

You get the mods for free, the modders are using hours for modding, and because of laziness you want them to put it on steam. Even saying a majority isn‘t going to use the mods. But thats totaly wrong, the majority that wants to use mods, is looking not only in the steam workshop.

If the work of hours of others, for your benefit is not worth the little amount of 5 minutes, then dont use mods.

And btw, with steam workshop i have no control if i want to update a mod. There where already two mods i did not like where there were going, on the Workshop i would have to live with this or at worst case begin a new game.

I prefer nexus over steam by far. It has enough QOL.
And in this forum i get the rest if i want.
That is the biggest load of bull I have seen yet.. Talk about LAZY.. But whatever, if you don't want thousands of other players using your mod, do what you want.. I use steam for mods as it is easier to keep track and keep updated.. I don't need 10 copies of the same mod in 20 different builds stored on my machine just to get it to work.
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Sun, 17. May 20, 12:04

leoriq wrote:
Sun, 17. May 20, 10:54
Malakie wrote:
While I've thought positively of your original post, now I think that you are doing A Very Bad Thing.

Shame on you.
No shame on you for ASSuming something about what I said. And I don't post bump.

I use steam to use mods.. I don't use nexus, I don't download from sites I don't know and I don't like having to parse through files, numerous versions and lose files copied by hand just to use a mod. I don't have the time to get down into all that like some of you do.. IF I like a mod, I want to install it without hassle AND keep it updated without hassle.. Steam does that for me on the fly and I don't have to do anything but let it update and play the game.. If I wanted to spend hours copying mod files, configuring them, playing them finally only to have the mod go bust because of a patch or version change, then sure not using steam would be just fine.. And maybe that is your thing.. It ain't for me so DON'T ASSume.. Steam lets me select, download and play AND I don't have to keep copies on my HD of mods I use in some kind of organized fashion so I know what the hell they are a year from now.. Steam does all that for me. I have better things to do that play around with mod files and dig into them to change, tweak or fix issues found in most mods. If a mod is broken in steam, I click once and it is gone.
Take it light.....

Malakie

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Sun, 17. May 20, 12:23

Wow.....

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 17. May 20, 12:30

Please guys relax. There is no point to get personal.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Sun, 17. May 20, 13:02

Malakie wrote:
Sun, 17. May 20, 11:58
Talk about LAZY.. But whatever, if you don't want thousands of other players using your mod, do what you want..
Wow.
So you really do think that you are somehow owed something by modders just for using their stuff? The mind boggles.

This is not a commercial provider-customer relationship we're talking about here, modders are, in general, volunteers who share their work for free, for kicks, and because they're nice people who like sharing.
As far as I am aware nobody is getting paid based on how many people use their mod, so why on earth should anyone care about these supposed "thousands" of non-contributing people using it?

You get something for free, you either use it or you don't. Anything else is looking the proverbial gift-horse in the mouth.

Drewgamer
x4

Post by Drewgamer » Sun, 17. May 20, 15:15

JasonX2000 wrote:
[...]

[...]
If you go to the options in-game, you can turn off updates for your extensions
Check out my mod Crystal Rarities

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Sun, 17. May 20, 15:48

Malakie wrote:
Thu, 16. Apr 20, 20:04
Modders, please post your mods on steam also.. Many of us prefer being able to just select and install via steam workshop instead of trying to mess with files constantly.. It also means we can stay immediately current and updated with your latest versions easily...

Not to mention, you most likely will see a HUGE increase in how many people use your mods!

Thanks...
Good suggestion!

What about volunteers for moderating (upload, update, help with troubleshoot, etc.) Steam versions of the mod as a hand to modders who are Steam averse?
I'm sure there'll be people out there who'd do that.
Mods: RPG: Reputations and Professions, Social Standings and Citizenships, Crime has Consequences, Alternatives to Death. Missions/NPCs: Emergent Missions, NPC Reactions, Mod Parts Trader, High-sec Rooms are Locked, Hacking Outcomes, More Generic Missions, Waypoint Fields for Deployment. Others: Auto-cam, Friendly Fire Tweaks, Teleport From Transporter Room, Wear and Tear. QoL: Trade Analytics, Loot Mining, Ship Scanner, Signal Leak Hunter, Station Scanner, Surface Element Targeting, etc.

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Sun, 17. May 20, 18:15

Malakie wrote:
Sun, 17. May 20, 11:58
That is the biggest load of bull I have seen yet.. Talk about LAZY.. But whatever, if you don't want thousands of other players using your mod, do what you want.. I use steam for mods as it is easier to keep track and keep updated.. I don't need 10 copies of the same mod in 20 different builds stored on my machine just to get it to work.
Wow.

I never thought I would read such a worthless, false, and entitled opinion in my life.

Can we get a steam achievement or something for this guy?

leoriq
x3ap

Post by leoriq » Sun, 17. May 20, 18:49

Malakie wrote:
Sun, 17. May 20, 12:04
leoriq wrote:
Malakie wrote:

Shame on you.
No shame on you for ASSuming something about what I said. And I don't post bump.

I use steam to use mods.. I don't use nexus,
Yes you did. This thread was dormant for 17 days until you bumped it with reiterating your initial post and adding some bluff. And now you started to call names.

As I said, shame on you.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 17. May 20, 20:02

Again, please refrain from any personal comments. Consider this as a last warning.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Mon, 18. May 20, 17:39

Buzz2005 wrote:
Fri, 17. Apr 20, 23:20
dont pretend here that your hard drives are not full of mods not uploaded anywhere :x , who cares if it does not work :wink:
I feel extremely called out right now.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Mon, 18. May 20, 17:49

MegaJohnny wrote:
Mon, 18. May 20, 17:39
Buzz2005 wrote:
dont pretend here that your hard drives are not full of mods not uploaded anywhere :x , who cares if it does not work :wink:
give mods now! :D, Im just a mod beggar so ignore me :oops: , I just know a lot of modders said that
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Mon, 18. May 20, 17:56

Buzz2005 wrote:
Mon, 18. May 20, 17:49
MegaJohnny wrote:
Buzz2005 wrote:
give mods now! :D, Im just a mod beggar so ignore me :oops: , I just know a lot of modders said that
the issue with those mods is that they are mostly in a state they are barely working. at least for me. i have about 20 ships half finished plus a working "hackable xenons" version but in to way in a release state :3
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Mon, 18. May 20, 19:50

leoriq wrote:
Sun, 17. May 20, 18:49
Malakie wrote:
Sun, 17. May 20, 12:04
leoriq wrote:

Shame on you.

I use steam to use mods.. I don't use nexus,
Yes you did. This thread was dormant for 17 days until you bumped it with reiterating your initial post and adding some bluff. And now you started to call names.

As I said, shame on you.
Are you kidding me? I NEVER SAW THE POST UNTIL MY FIRST COMMENT.. 17 days is irrelevant.. Just because you may have the time to read every single post made every single day, some of us have REAL LIVES that don't allow for the time to do that.. So when I replied, it was when I saw the post for the very first time.

Sick and tired of people like you making ASSumptions and then trolling someone's comment.. Go mind your own business and let the adults speak.
Take it light.....

Malakie

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Mon, 18. May 20, 19:53

BrummBear02 wrote:
Mon, 18. May 20, 17:56
Buzz2005 wrote:
Mon, 18. May 20, 17:49
MegaJohnny wrote:

the issue with those mods is that they are mostly in a state they are barely working. at least for me. i have about 20 ships half finished plus a working "hackable xenons" version but in to way in a release state :3
And why those like me that appreciate your hard work, asked for mods to be added to Steam. It helps us greatly because as you work on your mod, we are kept up to date consistently without the need to personally bother you with hundreds of PM's and posts on status etc... As I mentioned, many of us don't have the time to do things manually as some are now complaining we should. So it is greatly appreciated when people have more access to a mod than just one or two sources.

Love your mod and look forward to seeing what else you come up with as well.
Take it light.....

Malakie

leoriq
x3ap

Post by leoriq » Mon, 18. May 20, 20:25

Malakie wrote:
Mon, 18. May 20, 19:50
Sick and tired of people like you making ASSumptions and then trolling someone's comment.. Go mind your own business and let the adults speak.
One has to be an adult to understand the irony of that :D :D :D

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”