MODDERS: PLEASE post your mods on Steam also...

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Malakie
x4

MODDERS: PLEASE post your mods on Steam also...

Post by Malakie » Thu, 16. Apr 20, 20:04

Modders, please post your mods on steam also.. Many of us prefer being able to just select and install via steam workshop instead of trying to mess with files constantly.. It also means we can stay immediately current and updated with your latest versions easily...

Not to mention, you most likely will see a HUGE increase in how many people use your mods!

Thanks...
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

StoneLegionYT
x4

Re: MODDERS: PLEASE post your mods on Steam also...

Post by StoneLegionYT » Fri, 17. Apr 20, 05:31

Malakie wrote:
Thu, 16. Apr 20, 20:04
Modders, please post your mods on steam also.. Many of us prefer being able to just select and install via steam workshop instead of trying to mess with files constantly.. It also means we can stay immediately current and updated with your latest versions easily...

Not to mention, you most likely will see a HUGE increase in how many people use your mods!

Thanks...
Thanks Malakie for purchasing all the modders a copy of the Steam Version.

teleportationwars

Post by teleportationwars » Fri, 17. Apr 20, 05:39

Which mods are not on steam that you would like to see on steam?

Staberind
x4

Post by Staberind » Fri, 17. Apr 20, 06:26

Malakie wrote:

Thanks...
Yeah, but platform agnostic places to share mods are better than steam, if I make something, I'd rather everyone can use it, than just steam workshop users. you are asking modders to do more so you can do less. hmmmmm.
Aladna Hill, Again, AP, 3.1. in the last Game worthy of the "X" title. <<<< X4 might just be changing this. :?:

ObsidianOne

Post by ObsidianOne » Fri, 17. Apr 20, 13:48

There is no need share on steam ( limit platform ) while you can share on unlimited , free to use platform such as NEXUS so everyone can reach easily.

ShiBDiB
x4

Post by ShiBDiB » Fri, 17. Apr 20, 19:08

Steam is also annoying to use given the way we have to upload mods... XTools like a lot of things when it comes to modding this game is stuck 10 years in the past
-----
My Mods
Go Home Drone, Reaction Force, Disable Story, Pay The Builder, Landlord, Training Exercise
Github with the latest (Unstable) Versions
Nexus Page
Steam Workshop Page

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Fri, 17. Apr 20, 20:53

Can someone move this to the bad jokes section? Do we have a bad jokes section? We need a bad jokes section.

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Fri, 17. Apr 20, 22:11

Updating steam takes all of 0 seconds of my time, since X Tools can be wrapped into an automated workflow. Nexus takes infinity times longer. Publishing to steam only takes the time to set up a preview image and flag the mod as public, compared to the million pages to sift through on the Nexus.

Nexus is nice enough for users, but horrible for content creators.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Fri, 17. Apr 20, 23:20

all your mods belong to us!!!

dont pretend here that your hard drives are not full of mods not uploaded anywhere :x , who cares if it does not work :wink:
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

ShiBDiB
x4

Post by ShiBDiB » Sat, 18. Apr 20, 01:06

SirNukes wrote:
Fri, 17. Apr 20, 22:11
Updating steam takes all of 0 seconds of my time, since X Tools can be wrapped into an automated workflow. Nexus takes infinity times longer. Publishing to steam only takes the time to set up a preview image and flag the mod as public, compared to the million pages to sift through on the Nexus.

I find the opposite, nexus is much more user friendly when it comes to being a mod consumer and is easier to manage being a mod maker.
-----
My Mods
Go Home Drone, Reaction Force, Disable Story, Pay The Builder, Landlord, Training Exercise
Github with the latest (Unstable) Versions
Nexus Page
Steam Workshop Page

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Sat, 18. Apr 20, 07:31

ShiBDiB wrote:
Sat, 18. Apr 20, 01:06
SirNukes wrote:
Fri, 17. Apr 20, 22:11

I find the opposite, nexus is much more user friendly when it comes to being a mod consumer and is easier to manage being a mod maker.
This and I also agree with it. Not sure if steams got better but back in the day making mods depending on the game got really annoying and could cause random issues especially the way it works. I prefer to upload my content to a site properly not this whole sync up crap. Keep in mind been a while since I did modding for steam workshop but it was godawful in the past and did not ever meet any true developers expectations due to them trying make it so stupidly easy...

lordofpie7000
x4

Post by lordofpie7000 » Tue, 21. Apr 20, 05:19

I'm not saying don't put mods on steam, but steam is a bad platform for mods (as a user). Zero control over mods outside of which ones you have installed. And sometimes steam doesn't even install mods right.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Tue, 21. Apr 20, 16:32

Malakie wrote:
Modders, please post your mods on github/gitlab/some other public VCS.. Many of us prefer being able to just download and install via a web browser instead of trying to mess with shady steam-downloaders constantly.. It also means we can stay immediately current and aware of your latest commits and code changes easily...

I'll gladly take Nexus as a second-best option. At least they only gate their downloads behind a wall of ads and a forced login, unlike Steam workshop which is effectively inaccessible for anyone not running the game through Steam.
No lovely VCS features like command-line checkouts, issue trackers or pull requests though... Still, I'll take whatever I can get so long as it isn't steam.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Tue, 21. Apr 20, 17:47

i refuse to bother with the tool needed to release my mod on steam. if it becomes as easy as a nexusmods release, sure. till then: nah.
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Tue, 21. Apr 20, 17:51

steve_v wrote:
Tue, 21. Apr 20, 16:32
Malakie wrote:
Modders, please post your mods on github/gitlab/some other public VCS.. Many of us prefer being able to just download and install via a web browser instead of trying to mess with shady steam-downloaders constantly.. It also means we can stay immediately current and aware of your latest commits and code changes easily...

I'll gladly take Nexus as a second-best option. At least they only gate their downloads behind a wall of ads and a forced login, unlike Steam workshop which is effectively inaccessible for anyone not running the game through Steam.
No lovely VCS features like command-line checkouts, issue trackers or pull requests though... Still, I'll take whatever I can get so long as it isn't steam.
Now that is a dream I always prefer Github over any other method. I will even help test and report bugs and take chances too! Sounds like a win win!

mrjonesandme
x4

Post by mrjonesandme » Sun, 26. Apr 20, 18:33

As a new modder I was trying to figure this out - where do I post my mod?

Do I deal with steam workshop and learn another workflow ? Nexus, with the ads registration and millions of clicks to get to the right place?

I decided for now that I will use GitHub as my main distribution source. It’s clean, people can post issues or submit PRs if they like, and the usual VCS benefits. It is not my problem if it is too challenging for a player to download a folder via a web browser from a site that doesn’t require registration (GitHub) and place it in their extensions folder.

I understand my “audience” will initially be limited to whoever browses scripts and modding or my reddit posts.

After I really get the mod where I want it I’ll consider adding to Nexus

Drewgamer
x4

Post by Drewgamer » Sun, 26. Apr 20, 18:46

mrjonesandme wrote:
Sun, 26. Apr 20, 18:33
As a new modder I was trying to figure this out - where do I post my mod?

Do I deal with steam workshop and learn another workflow ? Nexus, with the ads registration and millions of clicks to get to the right place?

I decided for now that I will use GitHub as my main distribution source. It’s clean, people can post issues or submit PRs if they like, and the usual VCS benefits. It is not my problem if it is too challenging for a player to download a folder via a web browser from a site that doesn’t require registration (GitHub) and place it in their extensions folder.

I understand my “audience” will initially be limited to whoever browses scripts and modding or my reddit posts.

After I really get the mod where I want it I’ll consider adding to Nexus
It's an entire other workflow, but it's really simple to get going (you can check out this tutorial here).
It's lightyears away from being as feature-complete (from a user and modder standpoint) as Nexus, but from a USER standpoint it's amazing because you get nearly real-time updates of all your favorite mods without having to think about it.

In the end it's YOUR mod and you should make it for YOU, so release it wherever works best in your case :)
Check out my mod Crystal Rarities

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Sun, 26. Apr 20, 20:59

mrjonesandme wrote:
I decided for now that I will use GitHub as my main distribution source. It’s clean, people can post issues or submit PRs if they like, and the usual VCS benefits.
mrjonesandme wrote:
It is not my problem if it is too challenging for a player to download a folder via a web browser from a site that doesn’t require registration (GitHub) and place it in their extensions folder.
Indeed. At the end of the day the user is getting something for free, the least they can do is graciously follow instructions to get it installed.
Drewgamer wrote:
Sun, 26. Apr 20, 18:46
from a USER standpoint it's amazing because you get nearly real-time updates of all your favorite mods...
As someone who has been on both ends of the stick (though more "user" lately tbf) since the late '90s (DooM), I really have never understood what is so difficult about downloading and unpacking an archive to a specified directory to install mods, or bookmarking release threads for updates. We used FTP. It was fine. It's still fine.

Sure, Steam workshop offers automatic updates. So do a bunch of far more feature-rich mod managers, and without the walled garden...
Drewgamer wrote:
without having to think about it.
Thinking is good for you.
Half the time automatic updates are the equivalent of handing the users a loaded footgun, as soon as one has automatic downloads installs and updates, people stop reading release notes, checking game version compatibility, or generally using their brains. And that's not to mention Steam itself, with it's habit of updating the game in the background and silently breaking mods that expect a certain version.

Drewgamer
x4

Post by Drewgamer » Mon, 27. Apr 20, 03:19

steve_v wrote:
Sun, 26. Apr 20, 20:59
Drewgamer wrote:
from a USER standpoint it's amazing because you get nearly real-time updates of all your favorite mods...
As someone who has been on both ends of the stick (though more "user" lately tbf) since the late '90s (DooM), I really have never understood what is so difficult about downloading and unpacking an archive to a specified directory to install mods, or bookmarking release threads for updates. We used FTP. It was fine. It's still fine.

Sure, Steam workshop offers automatic updates. So do a bunch of far more feature-rich mod managers, and without the walled garden...
Drewgamer wrote:
without having to think about it.
Thinking is good for you.
Half the time automatic updates are the equivalent of handing the users a loaded footgun, as soon as one has automatic downloads installs and updates, people stop reading release notes, checking game version compatibility, or generally using their brains. And that's not to mention Steam itself, with it's habit of updating the game in the background and silently breaking mods that expect a certain version.
Hey if you don't prefer Steam that's cool. No one is forcing you to use it :)

Everyone has different levels proficiency with computers/technology. What YOU find as a simple or arbitrary task, someone else might as well be trying to read a foreign language. Also, not everyone thinks to check EVERY mod EVERY day for updates (some of which could be fixing many/major bugs they haven't yet encountered); Steam is great for keeping the average user up-to-date with minimal fuss. Most times the end-user doesn't want to know (or even NEED to know) what was fixed, unless it pertained directly to an issue they experienced.

Steams game updates break all mods, not just the ones on Steam workshop. But you can't refute how easy/accessible it is from a user standpoint. The process for uploading/updating mods to Steam Workshop isn't even that hard/time consuming (seriously, it takes me an extra 5 minutes or less), so it's no sweat off my back to continue supporting my mod there.

In the end, it's just another option for obtaining/distributing mods, and having more options is good.
Check out my mod Crystal Rarities

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Tue, 12. May 20, 03:15

My point about putting it on Steam as well, is a simple one.. Not everyone wants to do things, or has the time, to do things manually. While we may not like Steam, it has one thing going for it.. mod support. I don't have to deal with multiple other websites.. I can load it, the mods are installed and auto updated and I can get to playing instead of spending a lot of time downloading then trying to figure out what files go to where etc etc.

But if you don't want everyone playing your mod, then by all means don't support Steam workshop.. It was a suggestion because many people like me use it for speed and convenience. I have too much going on in real life to deal with manual this and that all the time.
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”