Killmethods

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Eagle_Four
x3

Killmethods

Post by Eagle_Four » Mon, 3. Jul 23, 08:52

I have a question about the Killmethods.

It is about the following events:
'event_player_owned_killed_object'
and
'event_player_owned_attacked_object'.

namely about the passed parameter 3: Killmethods

In which cases are the killmethods 'lowattentionattack' and 'contextilled' passed?

I found out that 'contextkilled' is passed, if e.g. an own dock module is destroyed, on which still ships of other factions stood, which are destroyed then also. This triggers the event with contextkilled. So to say, collateral damage.

Are there more triggers that pass contextkilled?

But what triggers 'lowattentionattack' I don't know. I didn't find anything useful in the documentation.
Can someone shed some light on this?

Dj_FRedy
x4

Re: Killmethods

Post by Dj_FRedy » Mon, 3. Jul 23, 11:12

It may be the discard method to return in case no other method is returned and with the low attention condition, otherwise 'unknown'. That would be my guess (a triple shot). The only two times EGO uses it is as a possible last comparison option in 'notifications.xml'.

Still, you could create a cue with debug outputs to check in which cases they occur, if you are lucky. There are 13 events with possible 'kill method' 'killmethodlookup'.

PD: Being very optimistic, the comment that accompanies the documentation (<!-- TODO: Improve documentation -->) could in the future answer this, without the need for checks.
"All my contributions to the Technical Support and Public Beta Feedback sections will be concise and to the point, no diatribes, that's what the other sections are for".
Thank you for your efforts.

Eagle_Four
x3

Re: Killmethods

Post by Eagle_Four » Mon, 3. Jul 23, 18:22

Thank you, I was mainly concerned with these methods.
That is, when one of my ships attacks another, I get instead of one of these methods:

hitbybullet
hitbymissile
hitbyareadamage
hitbybomb
hitbymine
unknown

often 'lowattentionattack' or 'contextilled' back. And since the kill method is written in the logbook, I would have liked to have a meaningful text. At first I thought it was a turret attack, but that turned out to be wrong.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”