XU Forum Quest - Round 3 [Ended]

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Differix
x4

XU Forum Quest - Round 3 [Ended]

Post by Differix » Sun, 11. Sep 11, 03:31

Hello, Community!

Welcome to the X-Universe Forum Quest, let us introduce this little project.

We would like to offer you a competition while you wait for X Rebirth to be released and thus play X3: Terran Conflict probably for the 1000th time. We're quite sure that you know the universe you're playing in by now and so we have come up with some riddles for you to solve. Your knowledge of the sectors, ships, stations as well as the history of X will be put to the test in this competition.

This competition is not just to pass the time until X Rebirth is released. We have great prizes for the winners and for one "Lucky Loser". So be sure to take part. Even if you don't win, you might be the lucky one that gets the special prize. Ensure that you read the rules below. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We look forward to seeing how much you know about the X universe.

Rules:
  • All registered users of the EGOSOFT forums are permitted to participate with the exception of EGOSOFT staff members, administrators and members of the XU Forum Quest group.
  • Answers are only considered valid if submitted via email to [no more mails please] including your forum nick. Note that you should inform us if you change your nick, otherwise you risk losing your score.
  • Please use XU Forum Quest Round x (where x is the number of the current round) as the subject for your email entry.
  • If multiple entries are submitted by the same user then only the first one received will be considered valid.
  • If multiple users share the same score, those who have participated in more rounds will be ranked higher. Should both scores be the same, then the users will share the same rank.
  • If any user posts a solution to a question (right or wrong) in the forum, they may be excluded from that round and the answer will be removed.
  • A 'Lucky Loser' is to be randomly selected from the users that have participated in at least 42% of the rounds and who is not ranked among the top three users.
Prizes:
  • The winner receives a signed copy of X Rebirth, a Steam X-Superbox and a poster
  • 2nd place gets a steam copy of both X Rebirth and X-Superbox
  • 3rd place gets Steam X-Superbox
  • The Lucky Loser will also receive a steam copy of X Rebirth
Standings: Image

XU Forum Quest Round 3
  • Time limit for round: 26.09.2011 24:00 CET
    Note: Participation will earn you 1 point and each question is worth 3 points
  • Question 1
    • Which sector is this?
      (click to enlarge)

Question 2
    • Which station type is this?
      (click to enlarge)

Question 3
    • Which sector is said to be a bolt-hole for a well-known person, for when he has to leave the main sectors?

We wish you all the best of luck and hope for wide participation.

- The X-Universe Forum Quest Group

Email Template

Email to: [no more mails please]
Subject: XU Forum Quest Round x

Nickname: {insert here your forum user name}
Answer to Question 1: {insert your answer here}
Answer to Question 2: {insert your answer here}
Answer to Question 3: {insert your answer here}

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Thu, 22. Sep 11, 00:53

It would help if question #3 is rephrased. I read it several times, and I could not understand what it is saying :-(

(bolt-hole seems to be a British expression. Us Yanks from across the pond don't use that word).

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 22. Sep 11, 01:01

I am British and I have never heard the term bolt-hole before. So it isn't British. ;)

Google said it is like a animal going through a hole to get to somewhere or somit. So my guess is their is someone in the x universe and he runs or gets to somewhere through a specific path.

Another site said it is:

a path of escape
a place for hiding, seclusion, etc.
Last edited by Skeeter on Thu, 22. Sep 11, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 22. Sep 11, 01:08

From the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

Code: Select all

bolt–hole
noun \ˈbōlt-ˌhōl\
Definition of BOLT-HOLE
chiefly British
: a place of escape or refuge
See bolt–hole defined for English-language learners »
First Known Use of BOLT-HOLE
circa 1851
Related to BOLT-HOLE
Synonyms: asylum, bolt-hole [chiefly British], harbor, harborage, haven, refuge, retreat, sanctuary, sanctum
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Thu, 22. Sep 11, 01:15

Skeeter wrote:I am British and I have never heard the term bolt-hole before. So it isn't British. :p
Don't know where it came from, but I am surprised to hear people saying they don't know it. Wouldn't be surprised for non English (speaking?) people to say it, but it;s a well known phrase as far as I'm concerned!

Not that that helps anyone else :p

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Thu, 22. Sep 11, 13:30

perkint wrote:
Skeeter wrote:I am British and I have never heard the term bolt-hole before. So it isn't British. :p
Don't know where it came from, but I am surprised to hear people saying they don't know it. Wouldn't be surprised for non English (speaking?) people to say it, but it;s a well known phrase as far as I'm concerned!

Not that that helps anyone else :p

Tim
French and obviously I never heard that word, had to use a dictionnary.
It basically means a refuge.
SCUM : They may exceed you in number, but not in value.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Thu, 22. Sep 11, 15:02

It derives from animals that live under ground. For example rabbits. They never build a burrow with only one exit, there will be several "bolt holes" for it to escape out of if something nasty comes down after it.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Thu, 22. Sep 11, 18:26

Bolt hole's definitely in the understood dialect of my area of the UK too... oh wait, that's the same area as Perkint. Hehe.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 22. Sep 11, 18:40

Well in the North East i have never heard it.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

PabloRSA
x4

Post by PabloRSA » Fri, 23. Sep 11, 20:58

south east here and never heard of it either.

StJude
x3ap

Post by StJude » Sat, 24. Sep 11, 14:40

Given the huge geographic spread of X players, there would never be a completely satisfactory way of phrasing this to everyone's liking. So just google whatever you don't understand already.
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 25. Sep 11, 14:09

Mind the deadline for this round is tomorrow, so hurry up. :-)

MFG

Ketraar

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Mon, 26. Sep 11, 18:05

I shall be submitting my entry with about 1 hour to go I think. ¬¬
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Mon, 26. Sep 11, 20:16

OOps I have the answers to Q2 and Q3 reversed :-( Can't do it in a rush :lol:

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Mon, 26. Sep 11, 23:57

Just got mine. Found them easy except the station type. Looked for the planet, found the sector, then spent ages trying to line my ship up to make it look like it was meant to. Almost put the wrong station down... ;)
______
______

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 27. Sep 11, 02:13

Round 3 has ended. Thanks to all that participated again and also all new participants, hopefully it was fun for you. Below the solutions and a link to the (preliminary) standings.

Q1: Blue Profit
Q2: Photon Pulse Cannon Forge
Q3: Pontifex' Seclusion

Standings can be looked up on the special off-site XU Forum Quest Standings

Next Round starts Friday, so stay tuned for a new challenge.

MFG

Ketraar

PabloRSA
x4

Post by PabloRSA » Tue, 27. Sep 11, 08:57

Bah, guess that makes me only running for the lucky loser prize.

Thougth No2 was the CIG in Menelaus Oasis

zidder
xr

Post by zidder » Tue, 27. Sep 11, 09:24

Yessssssssssssss !!! :P 3/3 this time :) Don't give up Pablo!!!

drakul
x3tc

Post by drakul » Tue, 27. Sep 11, 19:27

Hi,

What was my amazement when I discovered the answer to Q2 was 'PPC forge' NOT 'Image recognition production complex'.
I doublechecked how the stations look and the part presented in the question image seems identical for both of them :o
Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like both answers would be correct :?

I've prepared example images showing the issue but I was not able to insert them here :oops:

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Tue, 27. Sep 11, 20:43

@Pablo I thought it was the CIG Forge at first, but it didn't look QUITE right and didn't line up with the sun/planet properly. The PPC Forge did.

Also, 3/3!
______
______

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”