Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Mon, 17. Sep 12, 23:07

That's amazing your EQ account was there and as left long ago. I guess.. I only played the beta of EQ so really was not aware of their policies.

Do you recall if players could expect account preservation once not subscribing? ..kind of wonder if maybe the F2P transition created a special case where all accounts were restored -- as an incentive for prior players.

I never put UO to the test.. Just kept paying. Always was of the understanding though that backups did not include dormant accounts.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 18. Sep 12, 01:51

donzi wrote:...Do you recall if players could expect account preservation once not subscribing? ..kind of wonder if maybe the F2P transition created a special case where all accounts were restored -- as an incentive for prior players...
Sony has always maintained that characters will be stored forever, no matter what your subscription status. I fully expected to be able to retrieve my characters, barring some temporary problems remembering my account/pass (which didn't happen). Verrant and 989 also made the same promise. I'm also just doing the Free game, not paying for a subscription, so there's no difference, there, in being able to retrieve your characters.

So, now I have characters older than some kids that are currently playing the game. :)

Added - A friend of mine sold his character for several hundred dollars, years ago. I bet if he pressed the issue, he'd be able to get that character back, if it wasn't perma-banned.

SunofVich
x3

Post by SunofVich » Tue, 2. Oct 12, 07:19

Just discovered this. Space fighter sims are a dime a dozen in this genre. I hope this is something bigger. Like Star Trek Bridge Commander without the Star Trek.

I have always wanted a good game where you are on the bridge of a large ship screaming orders at your NPC crew. I want a game where I can be like Adama.

But with their trailer showing a formation of fighters I doubt that is what it is.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 2. Oct 12, 08:28

SunofVich wrote:Just discovered this. Space fighter sims are a dime a dozen in this genre. I hope this is something bigger. Like Star Trek Bridge Commander without the Star Trek....
I'd love to have such a game, as well. The closest I could come to was Star Fleet Battles, but that didn't quite live up to such demands.

I would like an Action RPG Bridge Simulation in a Free-Form Sandbox Space Trading Adventure Fighter game... :) For instance, your "party" is your crew, much like the old "Traveller" computer game and, believe it or not, the old "Buck Rodgers" computer game, IIRC.

Except, I want it more geared towards free-form sandbox play, where I can choose to level up my crewmembers, explore new planets, create my own empire, if I wished, battle other ships, fleets, etc... All with an RPG'style crew and Ship and Station Captains under my command with their own crews, etc.. I'd want third-person, isometric graphics for everything, including minimal ship interiors, and a First Person bridge, for ship-to-ship combat and communications...

Anyone have any suggestions?

PS - Please, nobody recommend "Battlecruiser 3000", OK? It's.. terrible. And, nobody mention He Who Must Not Be Named, either!

PS - X3 Terran Conflict comes darn close. When I finally take the plunge and install CODEA, I'll have a great deal of what I want in a space-centric game. But, it'd be missing a lot of the type of content I'd like to experience in such a game. That could be helped along with a lot of scripted missions and a random mission generator supporting all sorts of different types of experiences.

Arsaneus
x4

Post by Arsaneus » Tue, 2. Oct 12, 09:10

:o

Can't wait.

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Tue, 2. Oct 12, 18:31

Morkonan wrote:So, now I have characters older than some kids that are currently playing the game. :)
hehe. There is always something to make one feel old. I'd be inclined to create a new character/account so it reflected the noobish I'd surly be eminating.

Blake00
xr

Post by Blake00 » Fri, 5. Oct 12, 09:05

For years and years mates and I have talked about how much we wanted another Freelancer, well it looks like its happening. Only 5 days left to the Official announcement!

I love the X series to death and am a big fan of Eve. But I miss the atmosphere of Freelancer and that epic movie feel it and the Wing Commander games had. I just loved in Freelancer how you could land on planets visiting huge cities. I have awesome memories of docking at massive space stations & battleships while a big battle was going on and walking into their local bar and relaxing next to a window watching the epic battle play out as I conducted 'business' with some corporation peeps. You'd read up on all the latest empire news, see if their mechanic had some cool kit for your ship and then take off into the unknown. :)

I'm a bit worried about it being an MMO too, but being a Chris Roberts game I just might be tempted enough to sign up anyway!!

The design sketches are looking awesome! The 1st pic looks very Freelancer like!

[ external image ]

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/wp-co ... 40x300.jpg

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/wp-co ... 40x300.jpg

{Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversized images now linked - Terre}
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Fri, 5. Oct 12, 12:48

"Congratulations on successfully navigating the jump to Roberts Space Industries! Before you begin, please activate your account by clicking the link below"

:?

There's only a long http number code that is not clickable and a Tweet that is clickable.
Have I got to register on Tweet?....'cause I don't want to. :oops:

Oldman :)

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 5. Oct 12, 13:25

Screenshot? You don't have to register on twitter - not sure which page you mean sorry >.<
When you register there is an email confirmation step. Check the spam for a link?

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 5. Oct 12, 13:43

The big question - as well as referring to the capabilities of the internet he also refers to the power of the PCs so my question is will my rig be cowering under the table in fright when the specs come out?

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Fri, 5. Oct 12, 14:14

Chips wrote:Screenshot? You don't have to register on twitter - not sure which page you mean sorry >.<
When you register there is an email confirmation step. Check the spam for a link?
I registered okay, this message (in my first post) came back to my e-mail....sorry, I should have made that clear :oops:
S'okay, I'll contact the site :thumb_up:

Oldman :)

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Fri, 5. Oct 12, 17:48

brucewarren wrote:The big question - as well as referring to the capabilities of the internet he also refers to the power of the PCs so my question is will my rig be cowering under the table in fright when the specs come out?
he quoted that the next gen consoles would be what he was pushing for

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Fri, 5. Oct 12, 18:56

Mmm... keeping a watchful & hopeful eye on this one. I hope it's not an MMO. :D

Arsaneus
x4

Post by Arsaneus » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 11:08

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 11:40

^^^^^^^^^ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 11:48

oooo Shiny :)
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

Sibilantae
x3tc

Post by Sibilantae » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 12:35

Awesoooooome
(Oh no, you forgot to close the parenthesis! Someone might get in!

Apothos
x3tc

Post by Apothos » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 15:38

The live announcement is in a little over twenty minutes:

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-l ... el20121010

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 17:16

Well, I am not impressed.

It sounds like Freelancer 2, so a freeform space trade/combat sim, but with a strong MP focus.

It does not look very good IMO. I know it is an early build, but still....
Someone should send Chris a Rebirth video, because he does not know what "high level of detail" (as he said a number of times) actually means.

The combat demo was a failure - slow and boring, especially without a functional HUD.
Right on commander !

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 17:29

Are we looking at the same vid? The gamespot one looked detailed to me. At least the first few mins (It's an hour long and I've not seen the rest yet)

MMO Boo :thumb_down:
Last edited by brucewarren on Wed, 10. Oct 12, 17:42, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Off Topic English”