Joysticks.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

GuiltySource
x3ap

Joysticks.

Post by GuiltySource » Fri, 16. Dec 11, 14:58

I've been thinking about purchasing a X52 Pro, but the only games I play that I would use it on is the X-Series. I really haven't decided whether it's worth the money or, if I'd be better off buying something cheaper.

Advice.

Learned Hand
x3tc

Post by Learned Hand » Fri, 16. Dec 11, 17:11

My personal favorite:
Fighterstick USB
No left hand throttle (it's an additional part - which would bring the total up above the X52) but plenty of buttons, programmable drivers, and DURABILITY. This thing's a tank.

I don't know if you're hard on your equipment or not, but the construction on this thing is formidable.

Get what you like, and don't go cheap. I've gone through half a dozen joysticks (MS accounts for two of those with it's Sidewinder line - cheap plastic, worse bearings and potentiometers - stay away) and CH is by far the toughest.

That having been said, handfeel and axis-response are also important. Is the return-spring on the axis tight or loose? Square motion-zone or round? Which would you prefer, if given the choice?

I haven't been "hands on" with the X-52 except at the occasional store, and the battered state of the product display left me a little cold. Don't know how they handle ordinary abuse though, they might be just fine...

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Fri, 16. Dec 11, 17:37

i have a x52pro and i love it.
its a bit of hassle to program all the button's but once its set up its great.

The only gripes i have with it are.
-middle spring could be a little stronger but that is propably me as i destroyed several joystick before i got my sidewinder pro back in the day.
-The led's on the stick it self could use a better solder job but not a problem realy
-the cable between the stick and throttle could be a little longer and the connector is a bit long.

Not non of these except the first hinder the working of the stick or game enjoyment.
and the first is propably me being to rough

typhon
x3

Post by typhon » Fri, 16. Dec 11, 17:38

I have an X52 pro and I do like it for this game.
Some things to bear in mind.

First you will need to tell the game to ignore some buttons the reason being that they are permanently on and get polled which causes problems.

It is easy to solve and juts requires the following launch options -ingnorejoy -9-13
How to do this for steam or normal is around the site some place.
Second you need to not select the throttle on the lunch screen when X starts , if you do it assigns throttle to the slider , if you don’t it set it to the throttle.

Counterintuitive I know but works.

Once those two things are do it works like a dream and there are plenty of buttons and knobs that you can assign to the many things you find in X you need at a moment’s notice.
A really nice thing is you can change the led colours on the buttons on the stick which is handy as you can highlight buttons that may be dangerous as red and safe ones in green.
In short the X52 has the two little niggles above which are quick to solve and once that’s done it is a joy to use for this game.

Rednoahl
x4

Post by Rednoahl » Fri, 16. Dec 11, 18:13

I use an Attack 3 - I only wanted a basic stick. I do have a force-feedback thing somewhere but couldn't get it programmed the way I wanted so went back to the older attack 3 (I like the strafe WASD keys mapped to the top of the joystick so I strafe with my right thumb, not left hand)

I'm thinking of getting one of these http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... subcat=352 with a sidewinder X6 (with the numberpad switched to the left.)

GuiltySource
x3ap

Post by GuiltySource » Fri, 16. Dec 11, 18:47

I looked at the cyborg, but I wanted a separate throttle. Plus it also looked really light from what I saw on youtube.

Anyway I decided to bite the bullet, and buy the X52 pro. Thanks to everyone who replied.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 16. Dec 11, 18:59

I would love the X52, but I just can't justify that sort of price for something that will spend most of its time gathering dust.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 16. Dec 11, 19:23

felter wrote:... I just can't justify that sort of price for something that will spend most of its time gathering dust.
Sounds like you have not endured those people (perhaps called "women") that "decorate" the place that you are supposed to live in (happily) with "objects" (statues, garments, trinkets, and whatnot) of (un)considerable price? :roll:

I have the first (non-Pro) X52. Great, although twist (i.e. z-axis) started leaking early on (and is now disabled).

Return to “Off Topic English”