Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sun, 13. Apr 14, 02:28

felter wrote:
Ebany wrote:Or he might just sell the company to EA :)
Nope can't see that happening, but maybe he would sell out to Microsoft, he really likes them. :P
Coca Cola

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Sun, 13. Apr 14, 02:58

I don't know if this is trollish of me to say this but I believe that he should have let someone else do the flying...

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Sun, 13. Apr 14, 04:20

Wash your mouth out!
He who bends himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy,
But he who kisses joy as it flies
Lives in eternities sunrise.

nap_rz
x3tc

Post by nap_rz » Sun, 13. Apr 14, 11:58

seeing star citizen pax reveal gameplay raised my hype to the stars and at the same time made me even more angry at egosoft... x2/x3 series were at very least on par with freelancer if not even better with mods, and then rebirth happened :evil: if I knew how bad rebirth was, I'd rather use that $50 to buy more ship at star citizen lol.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sun, 13. Apr 14, 14:16

Yeah I think that dead horse has been beat into paste, best to keep it about SC.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Nomadski
x4

Post by Nomadski » Wed, 16. Apr 14, 02:47

That PAX video was a bit of a car crash in almost every aspect.

I liked the helmet flipping though.

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Wed, 16. Apr 14, 06:10

felter wrote:
Ebany wrote:Or he might just sell the company to EA :)
Nope can't see that happening, but maybe he would sell out to Microsoft, he really likes them. :P
Ironically I was just reading an article about how Microsoft is still trying to sneak in their own form of DRM (primarily on the Xbox One). MS has said that Steam did it and caused a big uproar, but that died down and now people accept it, so they will again with Microsoft's DRM.

Unlike switching carriers with your mobile phone though, apparently you won't be able to do that with yours games. knowing Microsoft, they'll probably sell their console cheap as hell to get people stuck with them.

Then again, what fool plays a console anyways :)

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Wed, 16. Apr 14, 18:45

Yeah, the helmet flip was cool.

I sincerely hope the gunfire was place holder though. It pains me to say it, but the laser bolts shown on the PAX video looked inferior to the bolts used in Freelancer. I was hoping for something less cartoony.

A number of people have said that the ships supposedly "Newtonian" physics looked a bit naff, particularly the apparent lack of inertia. As has been said it's early days, so I guess Mr Roberts and his team will be working hard to bring everything up to scratch.

I can't help feeling it might have been better to hold back the demo until stuff was ready, but I suppose people were losing patience and they wanted to be seen to be doing something.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Thu, 17. Apr 14, 10:12

They can't hold it back indef, they already cancelled from Dec and they have a set of milestones that they have to make some effort to meet due to kickstarter obligations.

I think part of the problem is many of the backers, I went into this with my eyes open, I immediately added 18 months onto the development time and set my expectations from there, based on the usual delays you see from the majority of complex PC games (pretty normal).

Many went in naive and with a view they would get everything on time + they would have a ton of cool polished mini games to play in the meanwhile. I know that is what was sold (which of course can be seen as wrong, no argument there) but I really fail to see how anyone could think they would get a AAA in just 2 years on a mere 40 million, it was never going to happen that way.

I doubt there will be a full completed version as CR has in his head for another 5 years maybe more.

The great thing is I get to play Elite D when it comes out which will more than fill the void until persistent Beta starts (not too fussed about Alpha)

Len5

Post by Len5 » Thu, 17. Apr 14, 14:15

Why do people find getting into your cockpit in X:R annoying and in SC (which is 10 times slower) totally awesome?

Nomadski
x4

Post by Nomadski » Thu, 17. Apr 14, 15:39

Len5 wrote:Why do people find getting into your cockpit in X:R annoying and in SC (which is 10 times slower) totally awesome?
Probably because they havent seen the SC one ad infinitum. I reckon once people have pl;ayed enough, there will be shouts of "how do I skip this?"

It always looks nice the first few times you see it. After that it gets in the way of you and the game.

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Fri, 18. Apr 14, 03:55

Really? I think most people would prefer to get into a sewer if it meant avoiding the X:Rebirth Cockpit.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Fri, 18. Apr 14, 10:29

muppetts wrote:Yeah I think that dead horse has been beat into paste, best to keep it about SC.
Horse dead

Sergenttbag
x3tc

Post by Sergenttbag » Mon, 21. Apr 14, 17:11

Lion Around wrote:Rest In Peace is reborn.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/RIP

I decided to revive my old Freelancer clan tags. I'll try recruiting once the game is actually available to play. I don't see the point in getting people in now.
^ this guy is a huge man child you are going to have a bad time

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sat, 26. Apr 14, 00:20

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.c ... agazine/p1

Not official yet but seems Beta pushed back to mid 2016 with a release date for Q4 2016.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 26. Apr 14, 01:24

Hardly surprising, but imo good news.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sat, 26. Apr 14, 09:48

Certainly more realistic given the scope, I do wonder how they reckon they were going to make the game on 20 million, given that in a recent video he just said the Mo cap stuff could cost 10m, lucky he has 43!

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Sat, 26. Apr 14, 17:40

If they are spending that amount on motion capture alone I think they may have lost the plot a tad.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 26. Apr 14, 19:51

Memnoch wrote:If they are spending that amount on motion capture alone I think they may have lost the plot a tad.
Going back to his roots? Hmm...

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Sat, 26. Apr 14, 20:05

Wasn't one of the stretch goals to get the cast of Wing Commander (or some of them) for Star Citizen? if so, that isn't going to be cheap.
Formerly "Alien Tech Inc."

Return to “Off Topic English”