New mouse recommendations

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Psychoclops
x3tc

New mouse recommendations

Post by Psychoclops » Sat, 13. Sep 14, 17:47

Hi all, my Microsoft Sidewinder X3 is winding me up (excuse the pun). The wheel button keeps jamming so I'm in need of a new mouse that's good for gaming and isn't over £50 maximum in price. Was looking at a Logitech G500s laser mouse so if anyone has experience with Logitech (hopefully good lol) then maybe i'll go ahead and buy that unless someone can recommend something better.

Cheers :D

Also, I'm not overly fussed on millions of buttons etc, the Sidewinder I Use has 2 programmable buttons that i've never ever used (mainly because they never did what I wanted in games).

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 13. Sep 14, 17:52

you can never go wrong with a logitech anything. Their mice are fine for gaming. I got my son one quite a while ago and it's still going strong.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sat, 13. Sep 14, 18:41

I am using a Roccat Kone [+], by far the best one I ever had. Have it since four years and used it quite excessively for gaming and it still works as perfekt as when I got it. There is nothing to fancy about the mouse, but everything it does, it does perfekt. If you look for a good gaming mouse, this one is it. (Altough you might want to get your hand on one before, it is fairly big.)

The price should be somewhere around 60-75 euro, but it really is great quality.

Here is a video review if you don't want to read: ROCCAT Kone[+] Review
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 13. Sep 14, 18:48

I've been using the G500 for some time now and it's a pretty good mouse, does what it has to do and then some. The logitech software used to be pants but it's pretty good now, you can use it to change any of the buttons to do whatever you want them to do, from single keystrokes to multi-line macros, or just leave them as they are.

Psychoclops
x3tc

Post by Psychoclops » Sat, 13. Sep 14, 21:55

clakclak wrote:I am using a Roccat Kone [+], by far the best one I ever had. Have it since four years and used it quite excessively for gaming and it still works as perfekt as when I got it. There is nothing to fancy about the mouse, but everything it does, it does perfekt. If you look for a good gaming mouse, this one is it. (Altough you might want to get your hand on one before, it is fairly big.)

The price should be somewhere around 60-75 euro, but it really is great quality.

A quick look up on the interwebz and the reviews I see on Amazon aren't great for that mouse although you say yours works great. I did however see this: ROCCAT Kone XTD It has a lot of good reviews so maybe I could push to £60 if it's as good as people say.

Logitech is winning so far though :P

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 13. Sep 14, 22:35

There are plenty of other mice out there, 2 that I might get just to try out at some time are the Zalman Knossos - ZM-GM4 and if you want plenty of buttons the UtechSmart Venus

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sat, 13. Sep 14, 23:02

I've had multiple Logitech and Razer, Microsoft etc mice in the past, but I recently brought this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ROCCAT-Customiz ... 009DYOPK0/

This is by some margin the best mouse I've ever had. Feels great, fantastic construction and extremely customisable. Love it.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 13. Sep 14, 23:08

mrbadger wrote:you can never go wrong with a logitech anything. Their mice are fine for gaming. I got my son one quite a while ago and it's still going strong.
I've spent hundreds of dollars on the Logitech MX series of mice over the past two years... I sent them back for repairs, got credits, bought newer versions... ALL of them eventually ended up with the same problem.

The left mouse-button, the one that gets the most use, eventually stops working correctly and starts "double-clicking" on its own. Logitech insists it must be dirt. But, further investigation reveals that it's either a switch problem or a capacitor issue. Draining the capacitor by taking out the battery and pushing all the buttons for awhile, then reinserting the battery, sometimes helps. But, whatever it is, no solution seems to work and both models of the MX series that I have purchased end up with the exact same flaw.

I need a high resolution mouse for 3D work. I like the fact that the MX had variable sensitivity that could be changed on the fly. I like it's comfort, it's features, and especially its size. But, even though I have been a loyal Logitech supporter since they've been producing peripheral devices, I can not, in good conscience, recommend the MX series of high performance gaming mice. Never. At this point, they're in the same category of cheap throw-away mice, since they just don't last long enough before the same defect raises its ugly head and makes working with them a torturous affair. I'm not the only one who has had the very same issue and you can find similar stories online. (I know - I looked for solutions online and came across many reports.)

Right now, I'm using a cheap $20 Logitech crap mouse. And, because it has lasted for the past several months without any issues, it's better than those $90+ MX mice...

But, I am on the hunt for a well-performing high-resolution mouse, just so long as it's NOT Logitech's. (I would buy one of theirs if assured that they had changed their suppliers or fixed the problem with the contacts/LMB. But, not until then.)

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 13. Sep 14, 23:15

@Morkonan

It's crap shoot sometimes. I am not so crazy about Razer anymore as mine got the dreaded double click problem.

On the other hand, I've owned Logitech MX5500 wireless keyboard + mouse for couple years I suppose now. Based on my experience, I recommend. It's good stuff.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sat, 13. Sep 14, 23:21

I used to have a Razer Naga, which I loved, but it's microswitches soon wore out. Replaced it with a Logitech G600, which goes with my G13 beautifully.

Many buttons. Is good.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 14. Sep 14, 00:16

Psychoclops wrote:
clakclak wrote:I am using a Roccat Kone [+], by far the best one I ever had. Have it since four years and used it quite excessively for gaming and it still works as perfekt as when I got it. There is nothing to fancy about the mouse, but everything it does, it does perfekt. If you look for a good gaming mouse, this one is it. (Altough you might want to get your hand on one before, it is fairly big.)

A quick look up on the interwebz and the reviews I see on Amazon aren't great for that mouse although you say yours works great. I did however see this: ROCCAT Kone XTD It has a lot of good reviews so maybe I could push to £60 if it's as good as people say.

Logitech is winning so far though :P
I can only speak for myself. Mine works without any flaws and feels great. :)
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 14. Sep 14, 00:39

Logitech have a couple of really good ones..
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-gb/gaming ... c=ps|10915

- I'm still using my trusty G9(wired)
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Sun, 14. Sep 14, 03:02

I use cyborg R.A.T. It's well built, really adjustable and has a bit of programmablyness.
Editing posts since long before I remember.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sun, 14. Sep 14, 03:04

I use this one http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/p ... -mx?crid=7

Not many buttons but very comfortable to use (assuming you're right handed).

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 14. Sep 14, 05:57

I'll take advantage of this thread...

One thing I liked about the Logitech MX series was that you could use it wirelessly and, when necessary, plug it into a USB for a recharge. Some mice require that you recharge them only when not in use. With the Logitech, I had the best of both worlds. (Until the darn LMB started crapping out on me on all year-models that I purchased/returned.)

So, while I'm using a cheap $20 jobber now, I, as well, am in need of a new high-performance mouse.

1) I need comfort and size. No tiny little girly-man mouse for me!

2) I need variable DPI settings and high resolution. (3D work/precision work)

3) I need wireless capability with on-the-fly (while using it) recharging. (No darn unreachargeable batteries, please. This mouse will see very heavy use.)

4) Programmability with many function buttons and intuitive on-demand profile switching hooked to .exe's by its resident drivers, please. (I will, however, accept profiles that can only be user-loaded, if necessary, provided all other features are offered.)

5) Ruggedized. I need a mouse that's not going to fall apart under heavy use and I expect all its components to keep working as advertised until the thing's constituent electrons finally wink out of existence during the great Heat Death of the Universe... One bad capacitor, one crappy switch, one blatantly ridiculous excuse of engineering that invites micro-particles into its innards as a "feature" and I'll invite Vogons to recite poetry to its manufacturers. Yes, I am that cruel.

6) Price is not a barrier for a mouse that has these qualities. I would gladly pay a couple hundred dollars, USD, for such a mouse, provided it was as dependable as advertised and had an excellent warranty.

7) It must not be a Logitech MX series mouse. I have a drawer full of those and Logitech is probably tired of me making warranty returns, I'm sure. (Even though I've bought enough of their products over the pasts couple of decades to put someone's kid through college...) IF they have a different series with those properties, it must contain hardware components from a manufacturer that is different than that which supplied the contacts and capacitors for the MX series... :)

Any suggestions that fit this spec sheet?

e1team
x3tc

Post by e1team » Sun, 14. Sep 14, 06:04

I had a ROCCAT KONE. A fine mouse... Until a rock dropped on it from a shelf above the table... But it is a good mouse :P Now got myself ROCCAT SAVU. Also a nice one. A little brother to the KONE.
Tried R.A.T. 7 an 9. Those are cool looking and full of customization, but are really uncomfortable to hold despite all the moving parts. My friend also got Razer Death Adder. A nice simplistic mouse. Never used myself but my friend swears by it.
"I feel like that's not the way fantasy space travel works in the real fantasy universe."
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Freya Nocturne's Sigantures

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Sun, 14. Sep 14, 06:20

I highly recommend Logitech also. I have the G500s. I got it about this time last year to replace the G500 I had for many years, nothing was really wrong with it just wanted something new.
I prefer larger sized, weightier mice with high DPI and the G500s is adjustable in all those respects but size (it has weights which can be slotted in and DPI adjusted via Logitech software).

It doesn't have lots of buttons on it, it has a few which I like to assign to the back and forward browser navigation functions but other than that I don't make much use of them anyway.

Also 10/10 for Logitech's support. I had an annoying problem with my G19s keyboard and, although it was still completely usable, they sent me a brand new replacement completely free. And they aren't cheap!
This sı not ǝpısdn down.

Psychoclops
x3tc

Post by Psychoclops » Sun, 14. Sep 14, 11:03

Morkonan wrote:I'll take advantage of this thread...

One thing I liked about the Logitech MX series was that you could use it wirelessly and, when necessary, plug it into a USB for a recharge. Some mice require that you recharge them only when not in use. With the Logitech, I had the best of both worlds. (Until the darn LMB started crapping out on me on all year-models that I purchased/returned.)

So, while I'm using a cheap $20 jobber now, I, as well, am in need of a new high-performance mouse.

1) I need comfort and size. No tiny little girly-man mouse for me!

2) I need variable DPI settings and high resolution. (3D work/precision work)

3) I need wireless capability with on-the-fly (while using it) recharging. (No darn unreachargeable batteries, please. This mouse will see very heavy use.)

4) Programmability with many function buttons and intuitive on-demand profile switching hooked to .exe's by its resident drivers, please. (I will, however, accept profiles that can only be user-loaded, if necessary, provided all other features are offered.)

5) Ruggedized. I need a mouse that's not going to fall apart under heavy use and I expect all its components to keep working as advertised until the thing's constituent electrons finally wink out of existence during the great Heat Death of the Universe... One bad capacitor, one crappy switch, one blatantly ridiculous excuse of engineering that invites micro-particles into its innards as a "feature" and I'll invite Vogons to recite poetry to its manufacturers. Yes, I am that cruel.

6) Price is not a barrier for a mouse that has these qualities. I would gladly pay a couple hundred dollars, USD, for such a mouse, provided it was as dependable as advertised and had an excellent warranty.

7) It must not be a Logitech MX series mouse. I have a drawer full of those and Logitech is probably tired of me making warranty returns, I'm sure. (Even though I've bought enough of their products over the pasts couple of decades to put someone's kid through college...) IF they have a different series with those properties, it must contain hardware components from a manufacturer that is different than that which supplied the contacts and capacitors for the MX series... :)

Any suggestions that fit this spec sheet?
I've decided to try the G500s, just ordered it from Amazon. When ordering it I seen this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CJAF194#productDetails

Not sure if it's exactly what you're after but maybe a step in the right direction?

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sun, 14. Sep 14, 20:56

Morkonan wrote:MX series is teh suxxorz
I'm summarising here ;)

I didn't register your post before writing mine. How long would you say before the left button problem arises?

I've had mine about 18 months and have had no issues at all to this point.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 14. Sep 14, 22:56

The last three mice I've owned (and this is over the course of about 12 years, IIRC) have all been Logitech MX, and I've never had a problem with the buttons. I only got rid of the second one because the little plastic feet that made it slide nicely on the desktop fell off, but it lasted a good few years before that happened! (First one was a wireless one and the battery life had dropped to the point it couldn't sustain a solid day's use on a single charge--this is why I don't have wireless mice anymore).

Return to “Off Topic English”