Star Wars The Force Awakens ***Spoilers!***

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

e1team
x3tc

Post by e1team » Sun, 20. Dec 15, 05:46

Loved it! The force is strong within J.J. :thumb_up:
"I feel like that's not the way fantasy space travel works in the real fantasy universe."
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Freya Nocturne's Sigantures

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Sun, 20. Dec 15, 18:53

Saw it a couple of days ago...

Plot holes galore in my opinion.

I did not like the political undertone of it ether
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sun, 20. Dec 15, 18:55

Skism wrote:
*giggles uncontrollably*

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 20. Dec 15, 19:42

Hey @RegisterMe, can we get some sort of poll in here to see how many people liked/hated/[...] it? :)
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 20. Dec 15, 19:58

Why would you need a poll? Its a movie, some will like it, some wont and then life happens.

For me its a good Star Wars movie, even though not a great one. Its nicely shot and entertaining. Didnt come out feeling as it was a great experience as say MadMax, due to the familiarities, but I guess its a reboot of the franchise and as such I'm happy with it. Got intrigued enough to want to see the next one, so that's a good thing.

MFG

Ketraar

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 20. Dec 15, 20:23

Ketraar wrote:Why would you need a poll? Its a movie, some will like it, some wont and then life happens.

For me its a good Star Wars movie, even though not a great one. Its nicely shot and entertaining. Didnt come out feeling as it was a great experience as say MadMax, due to the familiarities, but I guess its a reboot of the franchise and as such I'm happy with it. Got intrigued enough to want to see the next one, so that's a good thing.

MFG

Ketraar
I don't want a poll to be able to say: "SEE I TOLD YOU PEOPLE LIKE IT!". (I did not try to convince people before and I will not try to do it now. It would be a useless attempt after I can hardly change anyones personal taste and on top of that I don't see why I would even want to do something like that.) I just want the poll because I would be interest in seeing how many people liked it not like it. Statistics, even if they are not saying anything about the quality of the movie, just fascinate me. There is no "need" for a poll, just an interest in it.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Sun, 20. Dec 15, 20:31

Antilogic wrote:
Skism wrote:
*giggles uncontrollably*
You should try Ritalin (the ADHD drug) that might help :wink:

-Thomas Paine-

Irrehaare
x3ap

Post by Irrehaare » Sun, 20. Dec 15, 21:43

I like Force Awaken. I don't love it, I don't worship it but I like it. I think it is good enough.
Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Was Coruscant one of the attacked planets or just another 'city-planet'? .
Done some research. Your answer is HERE. SPOILER ALERT!
Spoiler
Show
Now, my opinions. I'm not happy with unclear political situation, I'm sure it could have beed explained with one or two scenes. Or maybe J.J. didn't have a proper idea?

I also hate how this film is a clone of a New Hope. It's not that bad in the beginning but later it's just too much. Look at III and V episodes: good SW movie can live without a weapon of mass destruction.

My last problem is Kylo Ren, worst villain in SW ever. I'm sorry, but compared to Grevious, Vader, Dooku he is shallow. BUT if he will be turned to Light Side in VIII, than things can start beeing interesting. Or just pretend to be good! "The one, who betrayed twice..."

I didn't like fight scenes either. They just waved those swords with no finesse at all.

Geek stuff:
1. Poe Dameron is OP even for a best pilot in a galaxy: 8 or 9 TIEs taken down in one film shot. And remember that TIEs are much stronger now!
2. Somebody asked about red blast from bowcaster. I was also surprised that Han Solo was surprised about it's power: when you spend 40 or 50 years with someone you should know such stuff. My explanation: Chewie has recently upgraded his bowcaster or get a now one.
3. Starkiller draining power from the sun? Does J.J. realise what is a size difference beetwen planet and sun...? However, that puts First Order quite high in Kardashev scale :P

I complained a lot, but I like the movie. It is good, good enugh to be a true Star Wars and I'm happy that Disney didn't blow it. Characters are great and it's an awesome beginnig of a new trilogy.
“A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.”

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 21. Dec 15, 00:24

Irrehaare wrote:
Spoiler
Show

I didn't like fight scenes either. They just waved those swords with no finesse at all.
Think that's intentional...
Spoiler
Show
It's a completely new-to-force person vs what is appearing to be a very poorly trained person. However, I was surprised just how bad he was considering his force powers at stopping blaster bolts and/controlling people, which did seem at odds. Am hoping those fights become much much meatier as the films progress - showing the level of advancement of the two.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Mon, 21. Dec 15, 01:19

Watched it twice now as my sister fell asleep halfway through the first showing...
Spoiler
Show
It took some reflection but I'm ok with Kylo Ren as a villan/character. I want to think of him like some over-compensating prince who thinks he may not have the right stuff. He showed some power in stopping the blaster bolt and taking a Bow Caster shot to the chest, but he throws hissy fits, gets outdone by a force noob and apparently makes stupid decisions against his leader and fellow bad guys.

Couldn't Anakin force-ghost in and tell him that the light side ain't that bad?

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Mon, 21. Dec 15, 01:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx2ET-ujgKU

Explains my objections rather well.

-Thomas Paine-

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 21. Dec 15, 07:10

I really enjoyed it. Not perfect, but a solid B+.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Mon, 21. Dec 15, 15:18

HA! I now has the audiobook. Screw you terrible cinemas!

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Mon, 21. Dec 15, 17:28

Just saw it, liked it, cant wait for VIII.

But...
Spoiler
Show
The only problem I have is with the WMD using the sun as the power source.
Could they move the planet? Was the planet located in a binary system? Or tertiary (?) system?

Having a small moon-like station move around is somewhat believable, but moving an actual planets is harder to grasp.

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Tue, 22. Dec 15, 01:22

Graaf wrote:Just saw it, liked it, cant wait for VIII.

But...
Spoiler
Show
The only problem I have is with the WMD using the sun as the power source.
Could they move the planet? Was the planet located in a binary system? Or tertiary (?) system?

Having a small moon-like station move around is somewhat believable, but moving an actual planets is harder to grasp.
Spoiler
Show
Thats actually not really a problem for the Order - far be it for me to defend this film but consider a few things
1 there is alot of energy in a sun - more than enough for their purposes which where;
2 kill the New Republic in one swift stroke - they achieved this they blew up four planets killing the government headquarters of the New Republic and likely all associated civilian and military personnel ths is not explained in film (and it should have been) but basically they just head shoted the Republic.
3 They had to build this weapon well away from anywhere the New Republic might find AND it needed the range the strike basically anywhere in the Galaxy, moving the thing is basically out of the question (engineering limitation)

4 Notice when Hux tells supreme leader Snoke that the rebels are about to destroy the superweapon he is not annoyed at all - why? - because it achieved what he wanted to achieve he basically tells Hux to evacuate and bring Kylo Ren as well sure would have been nice to kill the resistance as well but hey, the First Order s now in a very good position to attack the Republic.

Anyway:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/star-wars-forc ... es-1534397

This source illustrates how unoriginal the plot is:

http://www.infostormer.com/wp-content/u ... wakens.jpg

Another take on it

-Thomas Paine-

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 22. Dec 15, 01:53

Skism wrote: Anyway:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/star-wars-forc ... es-1534397

[Titel of the article: Star Wars: The Force Awakens – It's okay, but I'd rather watch Attack of the Clones]

[...]
I certainly wouldn't, but each their own. :D

(Yes I did read the article.)

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Tue, 22. Dec 15, 07:51

Skism wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Thats actually not really a problem for the Order - far be it for me to defend this film but consider a few things
1 there is alot of energy in a sun - more than enough for their purposes which where;
2 kill the New Republic in one swift stroke - they achieved this they blew up four planets killing the government headquarters of the New Republic and likely all associated civilian and military personnel ths is not explained in film (and it should have been) but basically they just head shoted the Republic.
3 They had to build this weapon well away from anywhere the New Republic might find AND it needed the range the strike basically anywhere in the Galaxy, moving the thing is basically out of the question (engineering limitation)

4 Notice when Hux tells supreme leader Snoke that the rebels are about to destroy the superweapon he is not annoyed at all - why? - because it achieved what he wanted to achieve he basically tells Hux to evacuate and bring Kylo Ren as well sure would have been nice to kill the resistance as well but hey, the First Order s now in a very good position to attack the Republic.

Spoiler
Show
So they build a superweapon that can only fire twice, using both suns in the system, and then what? "We have the most dangerous weapon of all times, but we are out of ammunition!"

I'm missing the logic here.

I do wonder if they ever tested the weapon...wouldn't want to use it the first time and find out it doesn't work...

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 22. Dec 15, 12:30

Skism wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Yep definitely enough power in a star
Spoiler
Show
http://nerdist.com/the-physics-of-stark ... perweapon/

And yeah Rey's development in the force was rather rapid, but then so was Luke's in a New Hope . . . . and Luke also had a 'oh snap I get it now!' if you remember. And yeah I put the lightsabre competency down to the fact she could clearly already fight rather well with a similar weapon plus that her opponent was obviously quite severely injured . . . . I put the fact that Finn lasted more than 2 seconds down to the same thing.

Also I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ren's training had been very minimal or non-existent since he left the light side . . . . the Sith tend to only train their apprentices to the point at which they are useful and not beyond so they don't become a threat. Rens lightsabre certainly looks rather ropey!
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Tue, 22. Dec 15, 22:07

Graaf wrote:
Skism wrote:
Spoiler
Show

Spoiler
Show
So they build a superweapon that can only fire twice, using both suns in the system, and then what? "We have the most dangerous weapon of all times, but we are out of ammunition!"

I'm missing the logic here.

I do wonder if they ever tested the weapon...wouldn't want to use it the first time and find out it doesn't work...
Engineering problem really ;)
The larger you build something the harder it is to move.

Its a bit like Laptops vs Desktops.

-Thomas Paine-

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Thu, 24. Dec 15, 04:10

Thought it was rather porrly scripted,characters were 2 dimensional,and plot was just another heres a planet destroyer,lets take it out.Plu wothj the exception of chewbacca all the other characters just didnt fit.

Return to “Off Topic English”