Star Wars The Force Awakens ***Spoilers!***

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Star Wars The Force Awakens ***Spoilers!***

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 20. Oct 15, 17:20

Trailer 3.

Can't wait!
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Tue, 20. Oct 15, 17:49

So, looks like the Force has indeed been completely forgotten (Called it :D )

Could be very interesting. Only flaw is why does that guy in the first frame look *exactly* like one of the Ninja Turtles ?

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Tue, 20. Oct 15, 18:49

I'm defiantly meh about this for several reasons.
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Tue, 20. Oct 15, 19:36

I dislike modern films.

Prominent role for a woman, check.
Prominent role for a 'person of colour', or what ever this weeks slogan is, check.
Luke is finishing his fathers work?
Sell merchandise, check.

Boxes ticked.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 20. Oct 15, 20:11

The trailer is good, I like it. But I can't stand the rolling robot byebye 8 - or what it is called. Everytime I see it, I get the urge to kick it and I don't really understand the technical concept behind it. Seems rather unpractical. Of course, if it has similar capabilities like R2D2, kicking it could result in something like this. :S

Anyway, I don't expect anything life changing with this new film. If it's an entertaining film in the Star Wars universe, I'm happy.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Tue, 20. Oct 15, 20:12

I don't think that's Luke talking to the helmet. At least I hope not because whoever he is, he sure looks like a Sith to me.

If Luke has embraced the dark side I shall not be a happy bunny.

Since that helmet was on the funeral pyre, whoever's holding it must be a grave robber. I just don't see Luke descending to that level.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Tue, 20. Oct 15, 20:40

brucewarren wrote:If Luke has embraced the dark side I shall not be a happy bunny.
So you're hoping that Luke is the ninja turtle.

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Tue, 20. Oct 15, 21:03

One of the biggest problems on a personal level is the look of the bad guys helmet looks a bit like an elephant head :lol:

Theres a whole bunch of other things I don't like but others have already outlined most of it.

This may seem petty but heres the thing I don't have sense of malice coming from the villain because of that (be be fair Bruce I don't think its Luke,)

Sy what you will about the prequels but I believed in Palpatine and Anakin charactors.
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 20. Oct 15, 21:14

I agree with you about Palpatine, but not about Anakin. I'm ok with the "villains" being less... nasty, just as long as there's no JaJa Binx.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Tue, 20. Oct 15, 22:42

brucewarren wrote:Only flaw is why does that guy in the first frame look *exactly* like one of the Ninja Turtles ?
I believe that is a girl...

{] inserted - Terre}
Edit: Thank you
Last edited by Graaf on Thu, 22. Oct 15, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Wed, 21. Oct 15, 01:31

@Graaf you missed a ] have one on the house :P
Graaf wrote:
brucewarren wrote:Only flaw is why does that guy in the first frame look *exactly* like one of the Ninja Turtles ?
I believe that is a girl...
Mara Jade!

From what I saw in trailer colour me interested, it could be epic it could be poop, I kind of like what JJA did to Startrek so I am willing to give him a chance, but I personally would of liked to have seen where Peter Jackson would of gone with Star Wars.
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Wed, 21. Oct 15, 02:06

Having seen what Mr Peter Jackson did to LOTR and later to The Hobbit I would have to say:-

NO. Don't let Mr Jackson anywhere near it. Even Jar Jar couldn't do as much damage to the franchise than what he did to those two books.

The problem is not that he can't do big stuff. Nor that he can't pull of difficult stuff like Smaug. The menace in that character was well done.

No, the problem is that he thinks he knows more than the author and rewrites stuff seemingly on a whim destroying key characters for no reason.

Denethor goes from being a stern, wise, farseeing and extraordinarily well informed leader - dangerously proud, though - to being an idiot too thick to think of lighting the signal fires.

Faramir is changed from being the one of the few guys able to reject the ring outright, to just another power hungry idiot.

Treebeard is made a numpty too stupid to be aware of what's happening in the forest he's been in charge of for the last umpteen thousand years without Merry and Pippin pointing it out to him.

I could go on, but I won't. Suffice it to say. No. I don't want to see what Mr Jackson would do.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Wed, 21. Oct 15, 02:44

What peter jackson did to the hobbit was almost as criminal as what george lucas did to Star Wars with the special editions. That book was a treasured part of my childhood. I do not forgive that scumbag for the liberties he took with it.
Who made that man a gunner?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 21. Oct 15, 10:47

TSM wrote:I kind of like what JJA did to Startrek so I am willing to give him a chance, but I personally would of liked to have seen where Peter Jackson would of gone with Star Wars.
When JJ Abrams was in the Daily show once, he confessed that neither he nor his producing partner ever saw or liked Star Trek. (Couldn't find the video, but here are some gif images of the relevant scenes.) As someone who liked StarTrek, as it was, I cannot watch the new films. I tried it, several times, but I never manage to watch more than the first maybe 30 minutes, before I can't stand it anymore.
Fortunately JJ Abrams is a fan of the Star Wars franchise. So here's my hope that he made a movie for the actual fans, and not for "movie goers".

As for Peter Jackson, I could imagine that he would have made a good movie, provided - and I feel this point is very important - that he wouldn't have been involved in any story writing. I know that he made changes to the LOTR story, but what he did to the Hobbit - just wow (in a negative sense). I think the Hobbit is the first movie, where everyone I talked to who watched the movie, no matter when or if they read the book, can tell apart which scenes are from the book and which aren't.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Wed, 21. Oct 15, 11:11

Terre wrote:Luke is finishing his fathers work?
Well, that would be too low. Since it's disney & Star Wars, I think the girlie and the new sith will be twins, from Leia and Han. Borrowed straight from the 'original' SW universe...

Whatever. We will see.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 21. Oct 15, 11:59

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
As someone who liked StarTrek, as it was, I cannot watch the new films.
I loved the new Star Trek film, and I'll defend it all the way to hell. Not so much "Into Darkness", that just tried too hard.

But Star Trek was an amazing film in the cinema. So far, Into Darkness is the only trek film I haven't seen on the big screen. The baby wouldn't allow us to go and see it :roll:

I'm one of those die hard trek fans that can actually admit that a lot of TOS was pretty poor, and don't get me started on season 1 of Next Generation.

I really didn't like the Star Wars prequels. I admit that they were a spectacle on the bog screen, but they were not good (they got better).

When ever you criticize the prequels to someone who likes them, they always say the same thing "OMG!!!!! Star Wars had C3PO and R2D2!!!!!! That's no different to Jar Jar!!!! They had Ewoks!!!! That's no different to Jar Jar!!!!!"

Yes, yes it is very different.

I'll be the first to admit that I will look on films from my childhood with rose-tinted-spectacles. Certainly when I go back and view some of those childhood films, they are bloody awful (Clash of the Titans, He Man, Star Trek 3). But that is not the case with the original trilogy.

This new trailer really feels like the original trilogy, much more so than the prequels, and I can't wait for it. The moment Princess Leia's them kicked in as the Falcon flew past... Awesome.

Regarding Peter Jackson... I loved Fellowship of the Ring. best film in the series. Didn't like Two Towers too much apart from the beautiful vista shots of Rohan, and the final one was OK. I felt like he did the books justice. I never liked Treebeard in the books, so I didn't feel the pain. And the ridiculous uproar about Tom bombadil... Thank god that inbred moron wasn't in the film. All the complaints about the stupid dwarf behavior in the Hobbit film (all justified, it's a terrible film) would have been leveled at Tom. He's a terrible character, and would have broken the film.

"Hrooom! Hroooooom!"
Or whatever it is he always says.

It would have been as stupid as Sylvester McCoy's parts from The Hobbit.

Seriously, who cast him? His performance doesn't match the rest of the film, and he's amateur at best (He should never have left children's TV).

But the new Star Wars!!!!!! Cannot wait. I'll be wearing my best Star Trek t-shirt [ external image ] just to annoy the people with their lightsabers.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 21. Oct 15, 12:55

Jericho wrote:I'm one of those die hard trek fans that can actually admit that a lot of TOS was pretty poor, and don't get me started on season 1 of Next Generation.
Well, my problem with the New Star Trek movies is not about the cast, their acting, not even about the story itself. The issue I have is the fictional background. On the one hand, they tried to make a new movie - a reboot of the franchise - so far so good. But then they also tried to connect it with the canon from the old franchise, which is where they failed completely imho. I think you could have made the movie (the first one) in a new SciFi universe without any mention of Star Trek or characters from it and it would still have worked, it probably would have made even more sense that way.
Jericho wrote:I really didn't like the Star Wars prequels. I admit that they were a spectacle on the bog screen, but they were not good (they got better).
Well, I think a big part of the problem* was the target audience George Lucas chose for the prequels, and the following animated series. Many people saw the first trilogy as kids, but were grown up, when they saw the prequels, which again targeted a younger audience. Another problem was simply the build up of expectations. 16 years passed between the release of Episode 6 and Episode 1. Enough time for everyone to think about own ideas for a new film.

(*A problem for those who waited for the movie, not for the franchise itself.)
Jericho wrote:But the new Star Wars!!!!!! Cannot wait. I'll be wearing my best Star Trek t-shirt just to annoy the people with their lightsabers.
:D :thumb_up:

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Wed, 21. Oct 15, 14:54

Calling it now:

1: The female protagonist is Han Solo's daughter.
2: Han Solo will die.
3: The black protagonist is a force sensitive and disillusioned storm trooper.
4: Luke Skywalker went full retard and became a recluse because 'reasons'.

Extra points:

Leia and Han split up.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 22. Oct 15, 21:11

There are people who want to boycott the movie because it is "anti-white". I am out of words. :lol:
Dragoongfa wrote:[...]
4: Luke Skywalker went full retard and became a recluse because 'reasons'.

[...]
Please let him not be the main villain. That is all I am hoping for.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 22. Oct 15, 21:40

It would be too much of a betrayal.

After his epic fight against the Dark Side and his own rage - dispersed only when he saw his fathers sliced up robot hand which moved him to pity and thus broke the hold the Dark Side had over him, for Luke to willingly embrace the evil after thirty years and for no reason? No that would kick fans of episode 6 in the teeth.

(I believe that when Star Trek VI was first plotted out they were going to have Savik be the traitor, but they brought Kim Cattrall as Valeris (she named the character too) in instead for that very reason - they didn't want to betray the fans.)

I'm hoping it's a wannabee Sith. I'm also hoping it's a misguided Sith who never realised that Anakin repented at the end and that he's doing the very last thing his idol would want.

Return to “Off Topic English”