Blade Runner 2049

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Blade Runner 2049

Post by OmegaKnight » Mon, 19. Dec 16, 20:48

So, this is a thing...
Youtube Link
and I'm not sure how I feel

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 19. Dec 16, 21:39

It'll probably suck, but I'll watch it at least once
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 19. Dec 16, 22:27

Please be as good as the original .... please please...

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Mon, 19. Dec 16, 23:42

I'm not sure I want the box tickers to get their hands on this film.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 01:19

No Sean Young. No Rutger Hauer. No E.J. Olmos making little paper swans or dickmen? So, we get... Ryan Gosling? What's he gonna do, look at the camera with serious intent?

At least there's some good writers on it. I just hope it doesn't turn into some "Mockingbird 2049: Angsty Teens and the Sorcerous Maze of Adolescent Rebellion."

Sean Young is, supposedly, very difficult to work with. Hauer's character is out of juice. EJO is, perhaps, too cool for a reprisal role. (Though, it'd be damn awesome if he did a last-minute cameo!) Daryl Hannah's character was forcefully terminated as was Brion James's character. (He has passed and was always a fav character actor for tough/bad guys - RIP.)

I just hope this isn't some "pass the torch" movie, setting up Gosling as the new "Blade Runner." I don't really know Gosling's work, to be honest, so it's likely unfair criticism. But, I've just heard nothing more about him than casual "celebrity oohing and cooing" from some ability he has to generate... moistness amongst certain segments of the population. Accolades he has, supposedly, but, IMO, they seem to me to be somewhat "forced." A "Superstar" attempt that didn't quite work out? /shrug

I want the Blade Runner dystopian setting, in quadruplicate. I want a story within a story. I want a message, perhaps even a parable. Above all, I want the morality play in a science-fiction universe that is as alive as our own in the present-day. Give me those things and I will be happy. Fail, and I will deny Blade Runner 2049 was ever made...

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 05:15

The director is the guy from Sicario and Arrival; it's not as if Michael Bay is anywhere near this. IMO the worst-case scenario is what happened to The Force Awakens: it will mimic the original but it won't be a bad movie. Having said that, the trailer looks like the film will have a different dystopian feel. It could be good.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

e1team
x3tc

Post by e1team » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 05:33

I knew Han lived! Oh wait...
"I feel like that's not the way fantasy space travel works in the real fantasy universe."
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Freya Nocturne's Sigantures

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 07:06

Well, industry is stuck. Be it games or movies, it's all about "recycling", AND, making it WORSE.

Bah.

Not even worth to even think about to go into that movie.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 07:13

Alright...

Isnt one of the popular theories that was even hinted by the director that ...Deckard was a replicant himself? I guess this had ruined that?

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 09:02

fiksal wrote:Alright...

Isnt one of the popular theories that was even hinted by the director that ...Deckard was a replicant himself? I guess this had ruined that?

Read the book itself and make up your own theory. :)
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 09:08

Yes, hence the unicorn dream and the origami made by his handler, Gaff. I'd rather they had left that open.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 09:57

Harrison Ford, ruining films since the Crystal Skull....... In all seriousness, i avoid any film that he's in now, his acting ability appears to be regressing at an alarming rate.

I will be lynched for what i am about to type, i really didn't like Blade Runner and i could never see its appeal (apart from the sci-fi setting) i might have to give it another whirl, as it's been donkeys years since i watched it.
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 10:25

silenced wrote:Well, industry is stuck. Be it games or movies, it's all about "recycling", AND, making it WORSE.

Bah.

Not even worth to even think about to go into that movie.
Smile when you say that. How many Robin Hood movies have been made?

Recycling stories goes back as long as fiction has been written. Status quo.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 10:33

ATTACK_HAMSTER wrote:Harrison Ford, ruining films since the Crystal Skull....... In all seriousness, i avoid any film that he's in now, his acting ability appears to be regressing at an alarming rate.

I will be lynched for what i am about to type, i really didn't like Blade Runner and i could never see its appeal (apart from the sci-fi setting) i might have to give it another whirl, as it's been donkeys years since i watched it.
Some cuts of the movie were not good. The ones with Deckard narrating were awful, it was much better when they took that out. Harrison Ford sounds bored and flat, it isn't helpful to the tone.

Production wise it had problems, such that the end result, if you weren't into the story and could forgive them had too many noticeable flaws.

The fact that it had to be fiddled about with so much to get to a good version was itself a problem.

But, I love the movie, I'm just aware of the flaws and don't care. Rutger Hauers performance is superb, better than Harrison Fords I think, he just wasn't the 'Star'. Most of the iconic quotes from the movie are his though.

I actually don't like the book it's loosely based on. I tried to, but Dicks work is too surreal and hard to follow.

I was mostly worried they'd do this new thing of returning to the source book rather than following on from the first movie. This way is better, or potentially is.

Wait, doing this wrong aren't I

'He doesn't like the movie!!! Burn the Heretic!!!!'
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 11:16

mrbadger wrote:Rutger Hauers performance is superb, better than Harrison Fords I think, he just wasn't the 'Star'. Most of the iconic quotes from the movie are his though.
I would certainly agree on Rutger's performance, his quotes are the only bits i remember!
mrbadger wrote:Wait, doing this wrong aren't I

'He doesn't like the movie!!! Burn the Heretic!!!!'
I'm a very harsh film critic, i should of been set alight many moons ago
:D
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 11:55

Apparently they're keeping it open. The fact Deckard is still 'alive' or alive will be explained by handwavium.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 12:28

Sicario and Arrival are decent films I'm optimistic.

I hope they work in some of the missing scenes from the book like the Police station with Luba Luft.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 13:31

I thought the original BR was great, but I don't know about this new one, I guess we have to wait and see, but films recently have pretty much gone downhill, so not expecting much really.
=

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 19:15

BigBANGtheory wrote:Sicario and Arrival are decent films I'm optimistic.
Arrival may have been good, but by the time it actually came out I was so totally sick of the hype around it and obviously bribed up IMDB rating (8.8 to start with, exclusively from screening at film festivals, but it seems to be dropping now the movie is actually out for the general public), it was well off my watch list.

I think it'll stay there.

Return to “Off Topic English”