X3:TC - which mods are the most fun?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Targ Collective
x4

X3:TC - which mods are the most fun?

Post by Targ Collective » Thu, 24. Sep 09, 03:17

See, it's like this. I love modding games but tend to get a little over enthusiastic and ruin the game balance trying stuff out... The point comes when I've added a huge amount of stuff to a game, and it doesn't feel balanced or in perspective any more. Restart. A pain.

So, with respect to the game balance 'feeling' more or less as intended by the developers, which mods add to the game without taking from it? Which, in short, are great fun and still fit into the X-universe seamlessly?

I figure, there's a huge knowledge base out there and if I ask nicely I might get a few good recommendations. ;)

EDIT: Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't post here as I didn't think it was the place for it... My apologies, no misfiling was intended.

kelmen

Post by kelmen » Thu, 24. Sep 09, 04:28

for the term "fun", in my translation/perspective the "dynamic" must be the 1st top element.

my vote: Improved Rave
-the race/alien can occupy sector dynamically
-you even can claim sector as well, and it come with a reward, interval tax $
-depending on how you play, if you play heretically to support 1 race, you will make more enemies.
- the script include stuffs which can make the aliens too powerful.

i'm running the earlier release R13, and turn off quite some stuffs in Khaak. the R14 seems alien-overpowered imo.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 24. Sep 09, 10:13

You need to define what is fun for you, because that differs enormously.

You said mods, but do you also include scripts ?

The 2 mods being awaited on are DDRS and XTC. Neither are released yet though.

yokozuna

Post by yokozuna » Thu, 24. Sep 09, 15:51

What is DDRS?

Targ Collective
x4

Post by Targ Collective » Thu, 24. Sep 09, 16:05

In general, I would say include everything. ;)

My big problem is I always tend to break the feel of the game to the point where it just isn't fun anymore - traders getting blown up everywhere for example - so for me more fun would be everything X3 does so well only more so, and with refinements.

Don't take that as gospel though, just curious as to what is worth trying in general these days - nothing stopping me from experimenting with a new savefile after all.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 24. Sep 09, 16:17

DDRS = DeadlyDaRedSpot, if I recall rightly, the 2nd biggest X3R mod. Rumour has it that the TC version is due out soon.

Treelor
x4

Post by Treelor » Thu, 24. Sep 09, 16:24

I find that the MARS script fits in just fine. That might be because I've used it for so long I don't even recognize it as third party anymore, though :v

Targ Collective
x4

Post by Targ Collective » Thu, 24. Sep 09, 18:35

MARS does look interesting... What hotkey setup would you recommend?

StarbuckAK

Post by StarbuckAK » Thu, 24. Sep 09, 19:52

the one that fixes the idiot AI... oh wait, sorry, doesn't exist yet.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Thu, 24. Sep 09, 20:07

I believe the Transcend II mod has been released. Another mod that looks to hold promise (other than DDRS & XTC, OTTOMH ATM) is the New Dimensions mod, but it's a work in progess.
Last edited by Deadbeat_Spinn on Fri, 25. Sep 09, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

kelmen

Post by kelmen » Fri, 25. Sep 09, 07:24

Deadbeat_Spinn wrote:I believe the Transcend II mod has been released. ..
I tried out the T2 mod, some extra ship, and now you can cap a (new) Khaak ship and try your hand with their beam weapon.

alas, i got some game issue with the game, but the support is kind of on low now.

paulwheeler
x3tc

Post by paulwheeler » Fri, 25. Sep 09, 10:39

I try very hard to only install scripts and mods which I think will enhance/fix elements of the game. I use these mods and scripts:

Ship Rebalance Mod - Someone Else (with the compatible versions of Killerog's trails and PSC01's cockpits - also includes Bomber and Shuttle Docking by Alkeena)

Combat Mod 3 - SS_T

Missile Defence Mk2 - Gazz

AI Ammo Cheat + Dmg Mitigation - Gazz

Race Responce Fleets - LV

YS-HUD-Mod - Samuel Creshal (coz I hate thousands of blue boxes on my screen!)

Advanced Jumpdrive - Cycrow (for me the only balanced jump drive script)

The Travelling Mechanic - Teladidrone (its so rare to find it and the upgrades are so expensive that its not a game breaker IMO)

AMurph0's Shipyards - AMurph0 (only the Yaki, ATF, and Otas ones)

For me the top four are absolutely essential if you enjoy the combat element of the game. The rebalance mod really helps to level the playing field - the Boreas is no longer the be all and end all, the P is no longer an easy kill, the Q is a bit more of an M7, and you are able to dock TS's and M6's to your carrier to boot.

The Cmod really helps to make battles last longer. fights between capital ships now last a decent amount of time. It also makes the Ion Cannons cool!

The missile defense MK2 means that AI turrets will now shoot down your missiles. This adds more of a challenge for using an M7M. You have to time your barrages so a barrage of flails arrives just before the hammers. The enemy turrets are busy shooting the flails and the hammers actually get through.

The AI Ammo Cheat actually makes attacking M6s in an M3 a challange coz they now actually fire back!

Basically these four actually make fighting hard!

I will be installing the Enhanced Races script as it looks extremely promising, but I'm going to wait till its a bit more mature and I have the fleet size to cope!

I'm also interested in the OoS combat rebalance script, but not sure if its mature enough yet.

ThisIsHarsh
x3tc

Post by ThisIsHarsh » Fri, 25. Sep 09, 22:04

May as well throw my substantial weight into this and link to my post in the "What are the recommended scripts&mods?" thread.

There are also some other good suggestions in that thread. None as valid as mine, though.
There are 10 types of people in the S&M forums - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

Targ Collective
x4

Post by Targ Collective » Sat, 26. Sep 09, 00:26

...In your opinion. ;)

Thanks for the link, much appreciated.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”