Leveling Pilots?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

mattu

Leveling Pilots?

Post by mattu » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 14:19

Are there any mods being worked on that will allow ships to have pilots that will level. I would enjoy the feeling of loss when I lose a certain pilot in a ship. There were a couple mods for this in reunion.

Thanks!

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 14:26

Fighter pilots do level through combat missions (attack this, defend that)... in the vanilla game.
You just can't see their level.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 15:18

Gazz wrote:Fighter pilots do level through combat missions (attack this, defend that)... in the vanilla game.
You just can't see their level.
Whuah? They do?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 15:47

I'm pretty sure they didn't in Reunion but in TC, see !plugin.acp.fight.attack.object

They do.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 15:53

doesnt help if you can't see it ;)

Codea does exactly what the OP wants. Pilots that climb up in rank (and get more money per hour^^) and can controll bigger the better they get.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Firewrath
x3tc

Post by Firewrath » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 16:13

wow, i didnt know they gained fight skill in X3TC,
here i have been reading over the scripts from TerraCorps Fleet Package (X3R) because i wanted to do something like it,
(Codea is good ...but a little complicated for my taste, plus, i loved the 'bases' in TCFP that would hire pilots/buy ships and patrol a sector for you.)
this might save me some trouble since i was looking at just adding in basic pilots for a test/learning script,.. ^-^

Now, im still trying to figure out scripting here, so maybe i dont see it,
but you said:
Gazz wrote:Fighter pilots do level through combat missions (attack this, defend that)... in the vanilla game.
by 'missions' did you mean combat in general, or like missions you get from a station?
from reading the script it looks like combat in general to me, but i want to be sure,

Also, rather interesting,
if you look further in that script, theres also code for ships to target and shoot down incoming missiles,
(under: * missile defence- )

Nemesis_87
x3tc

Post by Nemesis_87 » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 16:20

CODEA was the 1st script i ever used and i found it quite easy to use tbh, So it aint to tricky to get use to :)

mattu

Post by mattu » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 16:29

thanks Killjaeden, that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for!

Do the increases in rank with CODEA relate to the increases in skill?

I liked the terracorp fleet package too!
There was a leveling Al script too..
it's why i was wanting it

Firewrath
x3tc

Post by Firewrath » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 16:34

its not really 'tricky' but you have to micromanage it a little more then id like,

and theres also like the limited wing size that i posted about in the codea thread,
to me, it has a bad habit of sending in a small number of ships into larger group,
like if a Codea ship has 10 ships in its hanger, ive had it send them out in groups of four, ...and then get totally trashed where if it would have sent all 10, it would have been an easy fight,
where as TCFP had a check so it would send 1-2 more ships then it thought it needed to win a fight, or if it couldnt it, it would retreat the ships and avoid the fight altogether, (IF i remember correctly,... :P)

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 16:46

Gazz wrote:I'm pretty sure they didn't in Reunion but in TC, see !plugin.acp.fight.attack.object

They do.

ACP just runs different manoeuvres things depending on flight skill.

mattu

Post by mattu » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 16:56

I just read codea and I agree terracorps fleet package seems like it is a much better script, it would be nice to see it upgraded to TC

alphalvr
x3ap

Post by alphalvr » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 18:52

there was a a terracorp tc version, defo, where u could buy pilots and train em up its lost within these forums but i was defo using it last time i played.

i think somone adapted the reunion one but i cant remember

think it was called terracorp combat pilots or maybe not :D

there was this one i used 2 `Real pilots v2 mod by balogt`

be aware this was ages ago

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 19:24

CODEA tends to send smaller groups, because it's attempting to preserve fire power in case something else pops up, because that first group might have a long way to go to get back to the carrier or to another part of space.

If it's not winning, you might want to try different ships. I suggest Pikes, and yes, I"m totally waving the Pike flag.

It's pilots can also be interchanged with Commodity Logistics pilots.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 22:59

Is it possible to make those pilot levels visible to the player through a script? Would be nice to see a pilots level and name.

Firewrath
x3tc

Post by Firewrath » Sat, 15. Oct 11, 00:53

it seems it would be easy enough to add the fight skill infront of the name,
but im not sure how to keep it updating with the skill,
(if i even knew what script set the pilots name in the first place, :P)

i imagine the pilots name is set only once, which would set the the skill level in the name to whatever it is when the name is set, but after that i doubt itd ever be updated,.....

Though from what Lit said and re-reading the script in question, i dont see any code in the '017 * setup Skills' section that increases the fight skill level, though, i mean, honestly i could be missing it,
theres this:

Code: Select all

032   if not  = random value from 0 to $combat.level - 1
033   |inc $combat.level = 
034   |[THIS] -> set pilot fightskill to $combat.level
to me, that looks like its saying if the ship doesnt have a fight skill, then give it one,
but like i said, i dont know, so im not sure, :P

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 15. Oct 11, 01:00

You would save the pilot name in a local variable.

Then you (regularly) format something like "(x) Pilotname" with x as the fightskill and pilotname the name you read from the variable (provided it exists).

Update that and you have your skill display.

Firewrath
x3tc

Post by Firewrath » Sun, 16. Oct 11, 09:36

ok, i Think i Might try this,
dont expect anything soon as im learning and have questions.
so since this thread was already started this seems as good of a place as any. :P

i think i can update the pilot rank in the name with a check after they kill a ship and do like a experience point system,
question is, How do i detect when a ship kills another ship?

i see from reading like the Universal Trader stuff how to set local variables,
and from reading a tutorial Cycrow did, i think i can reasonably add in a command to 'hire' a pilot, (which would then add those local variables)

so i think if i can figure out which of my ships kills which other ship in the game, i can do a basic first attempt,......

So any help there? ^-^;

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 16. Oct 11, 10:52

Firewrath wrote:question is, How do i detect when a ship kills another ship?
You can use a secondary SIGNAL_ATTACKED and/or SIGNAL_DOCKED.
The former is not super-reliable for it's actual purpose but for your purpose it should be plenty reliable.

It may not update instantly but... who cares?

Firewrath
x3tc

Post by Firewrath » Sun, 16. Oct 11, 11:59

well, first,
SIGNAL_DOCKED? O_o
how would that work?

And also, ive been looking for information on signals for a bit now and im having trouble finding anything on them,
nothing in the tutorial sticky (at least nothing that mentions 'signals' in the links) and the general S&M questions dont exactly give enough detail on using them, even after a 15 page google search i still dont have anything,....
so is there a good place to start reading on them that i missed?
(basically i know pretty much nothing of scripting, so i havnt ran into signals like at all in my reading.)

i know theres a SIGNAL_KILLED, but i take it theres a reason that wouldnt work?

and no, the update doesnt have to be instant, i just need to know when a ship kills another to update the pilot name and track the fight skill it has,

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 16. Oct 11, 12:35

A secondary (!) SIGNAL script is something you attach to an entire ship class or to selected ships.
It fires on certain events.

You put your code in there and it's executed in those events.

Just make sure it has a priority greater than 100.

Sure, you can do the brute force approach and regularly "maintain" every single player ship but that's not very elegant.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”