[Index] Tutorials and Resources

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

clevider
x4

Post by clevider » Thu, 13. Nov 08, 05:14

@Grax: Thank you for the advice. I'd thought of using TRUE/FALSE, but didn't since the instruction didn't specify Var/Boolean and because I'm used to them being static constants for 1 and 0 like in C. Of course, this isn't C and it isn't like there aren't typos in the script editor. I'll definitely try it. Checking the race for Pirate is a great idea. I hope there's a "set pirate under cover" and I just didn't see it; that would make experimenting much easier. I suspect there isn't much more to it than those two commands (as odd as that seems). I just succesfully completed an anti-smuggling mission using only the "scan potential pirate" command.

@Malakie: Beyond the MSCI Manual, there are the scripting links in the OP of this thread (be sure to follow the link to the X3R version of this thread and the link there for the X2 version. There's lots of help available there although some of the resources (like the famed Mark Laverty's Scripting Tutorials), are gone now :(.

Additionally, I found Cycrow's Scipting Help extraordinarily useful (on the left, choose "help" and then at the bottom of the center page, choose "Scripting Help") and the X3:TC instructions list in the MSCI Handbook is almost up-to-date now. Help on the individual instructions can be sparse, but it can be added to by anyone. So if you figure something out that might be useful to others, please feel free to add it.
//-- ...Signature line decrypting: 1%... --\\

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Thu, 13. Nov 08, 06:32

clevider wrote:@Grax: Thank you for the advice. I'd thought of using TRUE/FALSE, but didn't since the instruction didn't specify Var/Boolean and because I'm used to them being static constants for 1 and 0 like in C. Of course, this isn't C and it isn't like there aren't typos in the script editor. I'll definitely try it. Checking the race for Pirate is a great idea. I hope there's a "set pirate under cover" and I just didn't see it; that would make experimenting much easier. I suspect there isn't much more to it than those two commands (as odd as that seems). I just succesfully completed an anti-smuggling mission using only the "scan potential pirate" command.

@Malakie: Beyond the MSCI Manual, there are the scripting links in the OP of this thread (be sure to follow the link to the X3R version of this thread and the link there for the X2 version. There's lots of help available there although some of the resources (like the famed Mark Laverty's Scripting Tutorials), are gone now :(.

Additionally, I found Cycrow's Scipting Help extraordinarily useful (on the left, choose "help" and then at the bottom of the center page, choose "Scripting Help") and the X3:TC instructions list in the MSCI Handbook is almost up-to-date now. Help on the individual instructions can be sparse, but it can be added to by anyone. So if you figure something out that might be useful to others, please feel free to add it.

I tried that link to Cycrows page but the help on the left only takes me to the script installer help file and information.... When I click help I only get a blank page with four links all tied to information on the installer tool.....

As for the Mark Laverty's Scripting Tutorials, perhaps someone reading this has them and could repost them again for us newb scripters?!?!
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

clevider
x4

Post by clevider » Thu, 13. Nov 08, 08:42

Malakie: Sorry, I should have said, "choose 'Scripts' and then 'Scripting Help.'"

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Thu, 13. Nov 08, 09:27

clevider wrote:Malakie: Sorry, I should have said, "choose 'Scripts' and then 'Scripting Help.'"

Awesome.. found it..... Thanks for that..

Cycrow: you da man! Again! Where do I send the 6-pack? :D
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 13. Nov 08, 12:33

clevider wrote:@Grax: Thank you for the advice. I'd thought of using TRUE/FALSE, but didn't since the instruction didn't specify Var/Boolean and because I'm used to them being static constants for 1 and 0 like in C. Of course, this isn't C and it isn't like there aren't typos in the script editor. I'll definitely try it. Checking the race for Pirate is a great idea. I hope there's a "set pirate under cover" and I just didn't see it; that would make experimenting much easier. I suspect there isn't much more to it than those two commands (as odd as that seems). I just succesfully completed an anti-smuggling mission using only the "scan potential pirate" command.
the scanning routines are actually completly handled by scripts. The police job simply runs this script and does the routine.

so you can run this script on a ship to start up the scanning patrol.

as for the Var/Boolean. Alot of the old X3R commands use int instead of boolean, this is because boolean flag wasn't added until TC and most of the commands were not changed over

mikedi
x3

script editor

Post by mikedi » Sat, 15. Nov 08, 22:13

I have done everything that you said but after it first opened it wont open again have I missed something.
I have got automatic missile supply which I hadnt loaded in, this is ok but I wanted to see the editor again what do I do.

vannawodka

Post by vannawodka » Mon, 17. Nov 08, 00:43

So if i understand this correctly you have to decompress every pck file and rename it individually to .xml? I didn't notice but this whole time winrar was just dumping pck files into the the x3tc directory. What a pain in the rear.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 17. Nov 08, 07:47

vannawodka wrote:So if i understand this correctly you have to decompress every pck file and rename it individually to .xml?
In order to do what?

* Game does read .pck, if you just want to install scripts.
* Script Editor will read .pck (but save .xml), when you edit ingame. But remember to move foo.pck away, if you want the game to use the modified foo.xml.

Thus, you need to decompress only if you want to read the scripts out of game.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

vannawodka

Post by vannawodka » Mon, 17. Nov 08, 08:44

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm having problems with a language file and stumbled on this thread and got a little confused.

Momiji-chan
x3tc

Post by Momiji-chan » Tue, 18. Nov 08, 09:46

I'm hoping this is the right thread; I'm wanting to attempt to create a ship, and add it to my game of TC? How would I go about that?.. Furthermore, is it possible to make a new ship class, based on a model that exists in the game already?

I'd appreciate any help that could put me in the right direction,

thankyou,
Momo~

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 18. Nov 08, 14:21

Adding a new ship is easy enough (with several steps).

1. Make the ship (or copy an existing one).
2. Edit Tships, add a new entry to the END of the file. Adding it anywhere else will cause a CTD on load, or other unwanted affects.
3. Add the edited Tships and ship body/scene files to a cat.

As far as a new class, you're limited to what's in the game, as they are hardcoded. There are several to choose from though.

M0/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8, TM, TL, TS, TP, GO (if memory serves).

Momiji-chan
x3tc

Post by Momiji-chan » Tue, 18. Nov 08, 16:41

Thanks, I shall have a go at that later today, my first idea was to make a light Destroyer using the Terran Carrier model... (Tokyo I think it was), and also just some new ship models in general...

anywhere you could suggest for more material on making models for the game etc?

Thanks,
Momo~

Graxster
x3tc

Post by Graxster » Tue, 18. Nov 08, 17:19

Momiji-chan wrote: anywhere you could suggest for more material on making models for the game etc?
Check the X3 Reunion scripts and modding forum, in the Tutorials and Resources sticky there's a bunch of links to good stuff. There's a section on graphics/modeling also.

-G

ttl
x3tc

Post by ttl » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 19:50

Don't suppose we would have a newer version of the MSCI handbook than the one from X2 ? Or something equivalent. Far as I understand, plenty new commands in since then.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 20:02

this would depend if someone wanted to make one.

the original one isn't made by Egosoft, but was just made by one of the older X2 scriptors

Xai Corp has a list of commands which is getting updated, so you can use that

ttl
x3tc

Post by ttl » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 23:48

I see. Thanks for the info and tip.

clevider
x4

Post by clevider » Wed, 26. Nov 08, 01:28

Cycrow wrote:Xai Corp has a list of commands which is getting updated, so you can use that
Speaking of which, the main categories (General, Fly, General Object, etc.) are all complete as far as listing the commands, but for some reason I can't modify their parent page to include the last category, "Other." If someone can help out with that, I can finish listing and sorting the current commands and deleting the obsolete ones.

Writing command descriptions will have to be done by someone more knowledgeable of them than I, but at least the basic grunt work would be done.

fossis
x3tc

Post by fossis » Sun, 30. Nov 08, 22:59

B_O_L_T wrote:You need to bind a key to open the script editor, I am sure it used to be bound to s but that may be what I set it to. The option to select mods is not inside the game itself but through the launcher, 4th option from the top "select mod package".
Hi,
my problem is that i can`t select "select mod package" at game launch, so i can`t use my downloaded scripts.

I have renamed pilot name "Thereshallbewings" ingame and located SE in controlpanel.

What can be wrong?

fossis

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 30. Nov 08, 23:09

fossis wrote:
B_O_L_T wrote:You need to bind a key to open the script editor, I am sure it used to be bound to s but that may be what I set it to. The option to select mods is not inside the game itself but through the launcher, 4th option from the top "select mod package".
Hi,
my problem is that i can`t select "select mod package" at game launch, so i can`t use my downloaded scripts.

I have renamed pilot name "Thereshallbewings" ingame and located SE in controlpanel.

What can be wrong?

fossis
that option is only available if you have a mod. Just scripts on there own do not require this.

have you made sure u've saved and reloaded after enabling the SE so the scripts can auto launch

fossis
x3tc

Post by fossis » Sun, 30. Nov 08, 23:26

Cycrow,

Yes i have doct too a station saved - loged out of the game and reloaded the saved game

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”