First Mods ever

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

EgoGimb
x3tc

First Mods ever

Post by EgoGimb » Tue, 10. May 16, 23:19

So I been playing TC 3.2 since it's infancy....well for me, at TC 3.0 when I baught the CD version of this game and i been seeing a ton of things related to MODS I'm wandering what type of mods I aught to put in, I have the plugin enabler stashed away for just such an occasion, but still it feels daunting to even slap on a mod here or there.

Reason for asking.

I never used a mod before, and I was wandering if it's worth it to put on some of the mods now. PS. I love the game but I don't even know what the scripts part of the game is for. TC Clueless scriptor lol
To live or Die that is the fate you seek.

EgoGimb
x3tc

Post by EgoGimb » Tue, 10. May 16, 23:28

Also has anyone used SQUASH Mines?

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Wed, 11. May 16, 01:53

What don't you like about the vanilla game? Find a mod that will make that more to your liking.

I like the things that Lucike has come up with. Others will suggest many other things. It's all a matter of what direction you want to take in your game.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed, 11. May 16, 02:33

I have a separate installation for XRM and another for XTC. I played one of them, briefly. Other than that I have played hundreds (thousands? yes, definitely thousands) of hours of vanilla TC and just got around to getting AP (thanks GoG!). The only mod I use, really, is tubeless complex.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 11. May 16, 08:57

Ancienthighway's advice is spot-on: at first, don't apply mods simply for the sake of applying mods, but rather to address something in the game that doesn't suit you. If you are 100% ok with how the game is built, you can ask yourself "do I really want/need to mod it? If so, why?" You may find you still want to go the *** modified *** route - perhaps out of basic curiosity, the desire to explore and hopefully find some improvement you hadn't even thought of. Here is where you can take one of two basic approaches: take your time and read descriptions of the mods to see what they offer (and I would be leery of going by "popularity" - I hold democracy in very low regard as far as intelligent decision-making is concerned); alternatively, you could adopt a trial-and-error approach, just randomly applying whatever catches your eye (probably not the best approach, hhehe).

Personally, I play 100% vanilla to this day, but I do this with all games - if I dislike a game's faults enough to have to resort to mods, I would rather stop playing it altogether and try something else entirely. But that's just me... :D
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

EgoGimb
x3tc

Post by EgoGimb » Wed, 11. May 16, 20:19

Well I love vanilla, there really isn't anything wrong with it. Now the tubeless mod I do like to use sometimes. though no one has really answered my question about the Squashmines and how good they are.

dizzy
x4

Post by dizzy » Wed, 11. May 16, 21:42

I'm more the type of player that likes to try out new things and is always looking for a fresh experience. You may not think of anything specifically you dislike with vanilla now but by definition "we don't know which things we don't know about we would like". So the only solution to that problem is to constantly try new things.

With just vanilla experience behind you should probably try XRM until you get bored with that. Then I'd try Litcube's Universe, but be prepared for a completely different experience.
X3LU 1.5.2/1.7.0 Youtube series with: IEX 1.5b + LUVi, SIaF r7 (previously also used Phanon Plus 4.02, Revelation Plus 1.04, Diverse Game Starts - LU Edition)
[ external image ]

EgoGimb
x3tc

Post by EgoGimb » Thu, 12. May 16, 01:38

Okay thanks memeics I'll have to check out litcube sinc e I'm watching a lp of it right now it looks good so far.

dizzy
x4

Post by dizzy » Thu, 12. May 16, 02:02

Happy to be of help. You may also try to watch my own longplay linked from my signature :p
X3LU 1.5.2/1.7.0 Youtube series with: IEX 1.5b + LUVi, SIaF r7 (previously also used Phanon Plus 4.02, Revelation Plus 1.04, Diverse Game Starts - LU Edition)
[ external image ]

TrixX
x4

Post by TrixX » Thu, 12. May 16, 07:11

Definitely check out Litcube's Universe. It's a more macro style of gameplay with an emphasis on Fleet's and Empire building, as there are actual tough enemies to defeat in the form of OCV and Phanon.

Lots of the more arduous aspects of Vanilla are either automated or fixed to reduce time wasted in menu's.
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."
Sir Ken Robinson

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”